Archive for Friday, December 7, 2012

KU student who lost legs in accident back on his feet

December 7, 2012, 12:00 p.m. Updated December 6, 2012, 1:47 p.m.

Colby, an 18-year-old Kansas University student from Derby who lost his legs in August after an automobile accident, shows off his prosthetic legs recently. "I have new knees!" tweeted Liston.

Colby Liston, left, an 18-year-old KU student from Derby, met fellow double leg amputee Seth Alexander, a high school senior from Shell City, Mo., recently at KU Hospital. Liston said it was helpful to speak to Alexander, who lost his legs a year ago and has been through the rehabilitation Liston is beginning.

Kansas University student Colby Liston, 18, sits with his father, Matt Liston, during an interview Sept. 10 at his home in Derby. Colby lost both of his legs below the knee after being pinned between two vehicles during an accident Aug. 26 on Tennessee Street. Colby says he is remaining positive and looking forward to being fitted for prosthetic legs.

Just a week or so since getting his "new knees," as he calls them, 18-year-old KU student Colby Liston is quickly adjusting to his new hydraulic prosthetic legs.

"You can go out and do anything with them," said Liston, just hours after returning from a 10-day stay at Kansas University Hospital, where he received his prosthetic legs and some help using them.

Liston lost his legs after being hit by a drunken driver Aug. 26, just days after Liston started his college career at KU. Liston, walking behind a car parked in the 1600 block of Tennessee Street, was pinned between two vehicles, which required that his legs be amputated just above the knee.

The driver of the vehicle that hit Liston has not yet been arrested or charged, but recent alcohol tests showed he had a blood alcohol level three times the legal limit.

Through it all, Liston — bolstered by wide community support in his hometown of Derby — has stayed positive and focused on getting back to his life.

The "Team Liston" Facebook page, which is dedicated to Liston's recovery and fundraising efforts to help pay for the prosthetics, is filled with updates and pictures of Liston.

His Twitter account, meanwhile, shows that Liston — a high school football and track athlete — is a fighter.

A Nov. 27 post proclaims: "I have new knees!" along with a photo of a smiling Liston. The next day, he tweeted, "Mark this down in history as the very last time I use a wheelchair."

Liston is enrolled in online classes at KU for the spring, and he says he'll be back at KU in the fall to get going on a petroleum engineering degree.

Indeed.

Comments

mom_of_three 2 years ago

I am glad he is healing well from his tragic accident, but lets tell the story correctly. It says he was "walking behind a car parked in the 1600 block of Tennessee Street."
No, he was walking behind a vehicle ILLEGALLY parked in the right hand lane of the STREET at 1 FREAKING AM. At least that is what the other articles have alluded to.

Brent Fry 2 years ago

OH NOES!!!!! A college kid out at 1am doing something that millions of college kids have done in their lifetime. He's not dwelling on it, so why the hell are you?

Good for you with your positive attitude, Colby! And good luck getting adjusted to those "new" legs of yours!

Beth Ennis 2 years ago

it was a freak accident caused by someone who was drinking and driving. Were there extenuating circumstances? Yes. Is it worth it to continue down this conversation? No

rockchalker52 2 years ago

Impressive young man, that Colby. Legs or not, he will go far in life.

Beth Ennis 2 years ago

so glad to see how positive his outlook is. I don't think these "new" legs are going to stop him from doing anything. Good job Colby!

amac 2 years ago

I hope some lessons learned here...

Bob Forer 2 years ago

The snarky comments here are totally out of line. The kid is a gamer and should be commended for his positive attitude. You malcontents need to follow his example and discover the positive that evolves from tragedies. I would hate to be your friend, I really would.

Caz Snwot 2 years ago

I've been following this kid since the accident (online)... Got to say, he's handling it way better than I think I could. Seems like an awesome guy... On a different note... I would like to think I'm the type of guy that would help anyone up if I saw them fall, so if I do come across him falling, and I just happen to reach for him I hope he understands it was instinct.

Katara 2 years ago

Yeah. I was wondering about the choice of words for the headline. Back on his feet? Really?

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

Shaun, KU student who lost legs in accident back on his feet

---shame on you for this headline, at best it is trite, more it is sad and exploitative, in stark contrast with the positive nature of the writing in the rest of the articl. you can do much better!

Susan Roberts 2 years ago

Shaun did not write the headline; none of our reporters write headlines or actually put the stories and photos on the page. That is the work of the copy editors, and I would like to correct this common misperception. That being said, I was not working last night and don't know who wrote this headline, but I am sure it was discussed by several people who saw the positive angle of the phrase "back on his feet" and tried to project that. Sometimes our best intentions don't work out the way we, well, intend. -- Susan Roberts, copy chief

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

I thought it was a good headline and it says what the story is all about, they are his feet now. The things people complain about!

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

^^He recently tweeted his "Rule 1" for those who may run across him as he learns his way around on his new legs: "If you see me fall, you ABSOLUTELY do not help me back up. I'm not disabled. I can get up myself."

Indeed.

---dear Colby, hang in there dude. getting back up on your own has its own great reqwards. sometimes help is fine too when you need it too when it serves to make you stronger in the long run. I've been through too much rehabilitation of my own. you will find your own success on the other side.

sure you're going to be different from who you were, and different from the other guys. but being different can have its own rewards. look for those.

you will feel the strength inside you, stronger because you have been tested but not broken Colby.

local_support 2 years ago

Across all internet destinations that I hit on any given day, the vitriol and negativity I find here is #1 bar none.

Seriously, blaming the kid for a drunken driver taking his LEGS? I would really like to know wtf is wrong with some of you people.

verity 2 years ago

While most people's instinct is to help anyone who has fallen, handicapped or not, ask first if they need or want help. If they do want help, ask how you can do it, because sometimes you can cause more damage. I speak from the point of having relative who had a prosthetic leg.

I was also told very gently by a person in a wheelchair, as I hastened to open doors, that if people kept doing things for her, she would lose the ability to do them for herself.

I must say that Colby has admirable spirit and courage.

LadyJ 2 years ago

You know, that woman's statement could also be applied to some non-disabled people too. Sometimes we rush in to help out people that could be helping themselves. Please note that I do not mean that there are not people that truly need our help, but there are some that exploit the system and take away from those who really need help.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

Verity is right, asking first in a respectful way is always best.

I'm so glad Bcman had such a perfect life. we don't know how long Colby was standing there, and why he was there ... talking, looking, etc.
it's not his fault!

LadyJ 2 years ago

It not like all of us have not done something stupid at one time or another without thinking and wondered later, what was I thinking?

verity 2 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. I am very thankful that the stupid and/or thoughtless things I've done haven't led to disaster---at least not that I know of. I try to keep that in mind, especially when I'm driving. All it takes is one second---

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

yeah, and he may have been there for just a moment.
it sickens me to see Colby ascribed any blame for this tragedy. shame on those posters.

don't excuse the drunken driver in the least.