Archive for Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Topeka lifts ban on loaded handguns in vehicles

December 5, 2012

— Topeka residents soon will be allowed to carry loaded handguns in their vehicles.

The city council and Mayor Bill Bunten voted Tuesday to approve an ordinance that deletes a current ban on loaded handguns in vehicles.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that in exchange for that vote, the governing board soon will be asked to make it illegal to possess a firearm while committing more than a dozen specific misdemeanors.

Police Chief Ron Miller says the arrangement is an attempt to allow law-abiding people to carry loaded guns in their vehicles but ban gun possession by those who commit crimes.

Miller says a future proposal would make it illegal to possess a firearm while committing misdemeanors such as assault, battery, stalking and theft.

Comments

SOONERthanlater 1 year, 8 months ago

"Hang on honey, I need to unload my gun before I go rob the store"

verity 1 year, 8 months ago

So Topeka is making it easier for road rage to become deadly.

And for police to be killed when they stop a recalcitrant driver.

Something that all the "I should be able to have a loaded gun whenever and wherever" people always neglect is that the more guns available in general, the easier it is for people to get guns illegally.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't cha know about all those people who have just been wanting to shoot a cop, but they've never gotten the chance because of this darn inconvenient ordinance.

verity 1 year, 8 months ago

I didn't say that criminals follow the law---obviously they don't, that's why they're called criminals. I said that the more guns that are out there, the easier it is for a criminal to get a gun illegally.

And, yes, having a loaded gun nearby does make it easier to use it.

smooreace 1 year, 8 months ago

The 1/2 second it saves a person in chambering a round will hardly make a difference! And it takes a lot of ignorance to admit that criminals don't follow laws, but to think that more LEGAL guns on the street make it easier to acquire ILLEGAL guns.

JonCrane 1 year, 8 months ago

Please remind me again how difficult it is to get pirated movies and drugs, both of which are illegal. Your comment on guns available isn't even relevant to the topic anyway. They didn't change the legalization of guns, just how you can carry them.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 8 months ago

got news for you. folks have loaded weapons in their vehicle whether ii is legal or not.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 8 months ago

Proper headline: "Status Quo Now Legal!"

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

Ah, finally, good news coming out of Topeka!

(because the bad guys was already loaded)

Food_for_Thought 1 year, 8 months ago

Really? Since when has it been illegal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle within the City of Lawrence? (Hint: It's not illegal)

Food_for_Thought 1 year, 8 months ago

Doesn't matter. If you have a concealed carry permit, it trumps all city ordinances, regardless of whether or not your firearm is concealed.

paul85 1 year, 8 months ago

If I am reading what you are saying correctly, you are saying that if you have a C C permit, you may legally carry your concealed gun within 200 feet of a bar? Not so, according to everyone else I've spoken with. Is this in writing somewhere?

Food_for_Thought 1 year, 8 months ago

There are other sources, I'm sure, but I've not the time to hunt them all down for you. A simple Google search yielded this document, a legal bulletin issued by Topeka's city attorney (2006) regarding Q & A on Kansas' Concealed Carry Law. It says:

Q. Effect does the PFFA have on local ordinances that prohibit concealed or loaded weapons? A. The PFFA preempts (overrules) local regulation of carrying concealed weapons. L. 2006, ch. 32, § 17.

You can find that bulletin here:

hipper_than_hip 1 year, 8 months ago

I believe the LPD is on the record saying that someone stopping for a meal while passing thru town is not in violation.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 8 months ago

Try an old flintlock, I just remove the flint between deer farm and home, coarse flash pan is empty, guess this is OK-----

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 8 months ago

OPP's said just hand guns, dang lost again

leaningleftist 1 year, 8 months ago

I wish Sam brownback would be the one pulling me over in Topeka

jhawkinsf 1 year, 8 months ago

What could possibly go wrong?

windjammer 1 year, 8 months ago

Those hand guns go great with those illegal blacked out windows. Surprise Surprise

grammaddy 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow! Just what we need. More crazies driving around with loaded weapons.

Paul Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah...because "crazies" pay attention to laws. Wake up!!! They we're already "driving around with loaded weapons".

tomatogrower 1 year, 8 months ago

I'll bet this "responsible" gun owner http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/28/15513847-florida-man-pleads-not-guilty-to-shooting-teen-to-death-over-loud-music?lite had a loaded gun in his car. I now have my conceal carry permit. During training, our trainer stressed that if someone breaks into your house and you shoot him, you are ok. If the guy runs and you chase after him, that's not ok. He also told us that if you even show your gun to someone, even without shooting it, you should report it to the police, right away. If you are a true gun rights supporter, you will promote this guy going to jail. He is going to do more to ruin your gun rights, than any liberal.

somedude20 1 year, 8 months ago

God allowed this law because heaven and hell are running dangerously low on souls and Satan and J.C. both use American souls to do illegal immigrant labor-like jobs