Archive for Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Topeka lifts ban on loaded handguns in vehicles

December 5, 2012

— Topeka residents soon will be allowed to carry loaded handguns in their vehicles.

The city council and Mayor Bill Bunten voted Tuesday to approve an ordinance that deletes a current ban on loaded handguns in vehicles.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that in exchange for that vote, the governing board soon will be asked to make it illegal to possess a firearm while committing more than a dozen specific misdemeanors.

Police Chief Ron Miller says the arrangement is an attempt to allow law-abiding people to carry loaded guns in their vehicles but ban gun possession by those who commit crimes.

Miller says a future proposal would make it illegal to possess a firearm while committing misdemeanors such as assault, battery, stalking and theft.

Comments

somedude20 1 year, 4 months ago

God allowed this law because heaven and hell are running dangerously low on souls and Satan and J.C. both use American souls to do illegal immigrant labor-like jobs

tomatogrower 1 year, 4 months ago

I'll bet this "responsible" gun owner http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/28/15513847-florida-man-pleads-not-guilty-to-shooting-teen-to-death-over-loud-music?lite had a loaded gun in his car. I now have my conceal carry permit. During training, our trainer stressed that if someone breaks into your house and you shoot him, you are ok. If the guy runs and you chase after him, that's not ok. He also told us that if you even show your gun to someone, even without shooting it, you should report it to the police, right away. If you are a true gun rights supporter, you will promote this guy going to jail. He is going to do more to ruin your gun rights, than any liberal.

grammaddy 1 year, 4 months ago

Wow! Just what we need. More crazies driving around with loaded weapons.

windjammer 1 year, 4 months ago

Those hand guns go great with those illegal blacked out windows. Surprise Surprise

jhawkinsf 1 year, 4 months ago

What could possibly go wrong?

leaningleftist 1 year, 4 months ago

I wish Sam brownback would be the one pulling me over in Topeka

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 4 months ago

OPP's said just hand guns, dang lost again

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 4 months ago

Try an old flintlock, I just remove the flint between deer farm and home, coarse flash pan is empty, guess this is OK-----

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 4 months ago

Food_for_Thought, It is if it is within 200 ft of a bar.
Try zipping in for a haircut downtown and not parking within 200 ft of a bar. Passing through is cool, stopping to run an errand puts you in violation of COL14-408

Unless of course it it cover by your concealed carry handgun permit. However, my AR-15 even with it's collapsible stock and 14.5 barrel is in no way concealable, especially if I have the suppressor mounted. Nor is it considered a handgun.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 4 months ago

I would like this to modeled in Lawrence, at least concurrent with deer seasons.

It's no issue to un-chamber and case up the AR-15, but unloading magazines to loose ammunition is a PIA for running in for a 15 min errand.

RoeDapple 1 year, 4 months ago

Ah, finally, good news coming out of Topeka!

(because the bad guys was already loaded)

MarcoPogo 1 year, 4 months ago

Proper headline: "Status Quo Now Legal!"

My_Life 1 year, 4 months ago

Topeka Rocks. Will this include sawed off, pistol grip shotguns?

oldbaldguy 1 year, 4 months ago

got news for you. folks have loaded weapons in their vehicle whether ii is legal or not.

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

So Topeka is making it easier for road rage to become deadly.

And for police to be killed when they stop a recalcitrant driver.

Something that all the "I should be able to have a loaded gun whenever and wherever" people always neglect is that the more guns available in general, the easier it is for people to get guns illegally.

SOONERthanlater 1 year, 4 months ago

"Hang on honey, I need to unload my gun before I go rob the store"

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 4 months ago

WooHoo.....Now just legalize drinking beer in cars and we gotta party.