Archive for Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Jovan Belcher’s mother talks about love for son, slain girlfriend

In this Dec. 11, 2011, file photo, Kansas City Chiefs' Jovan Belcher sits on the sidelines during the third quarter of a game against the New York Jets in East Rutherford, N.J. Police say Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend early Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012, in Kansas City, Mo., then drove to Arrowhead Stadium and committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager.

December 5, 2012

— The days since Jovan Belcher killed his girlfriend then shot himself in the head have been very difficult for his mother, who said Wednesday that the slayings have not diminished her love for the couple.

Belcher’s mother, Cheryl Shepherd, had been living with the Kansas City Chiefs linebacker and 22-year-old Kasandra Perkins to help care for their 3-month-old daughter, Zoey, and was at the couple’s home Saturday morning when Perkins was shot.

“That’s my son, and I love him,” Shepherd said in a brief telephone conversation Wednesday. “She’s my daughter-in-law, just like my daughter.”

Shepherd declined to say anything more about her son.

Belcher shot Perkins at their Kansas City home then drove with a handgun to Arrowhead Stadium, where he thanked Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and coach Romeo Crennel for all they had done for him. The men tried to persuade Belcher to put the gun down, but when police arrived, Belcher moved behind a vehicle in the practice facility’s parking lot, knelt down and shot himself in the head, police said.

Shepherd, 54, said she was not happy about the release Wednesday of recordings of the emergency phone call she made Saturday after Perkins was shot.

“I just got a phone call that they did that, and I don’t appreciate it,” she said. “Right now I don’t want to talk about it.”

In the emergency call, Shepherd begs Perkins to “stay with me” while frantically asking for an ambulance. She tells the dispatcher that Perkins is “still breathing but please hurry. ... They were arguing, please hurry.”

Shepherd also told dispatchers that Perkins was bleeding, “just barely” awake and that it looked as though she was wounded in the back. She said Perkins moved when she spoke to her.

When a police dispatcher asked about Belcher, Shepherd says only: “He left.”

Police arrived at the home about 7:50 a.m. They said in an incident report that they found Perkins’ body on the floor of the master bathroom. She had been shot multiple times.

Shepherd, who has temporary custody of the couple’s baby, said she and Perkins were very close.

“She was a lovely, beautiful young woman. And we had a beautiful relationship,” Shepherd said.

She said family members have been helping her a great deal since the shootings, but that she had trouble eating and sleeping while working on her son’s funeral arrangements.

Mourners began arriving in the early afternoon Wednesday for a private memorial service for Belcher in Kansas City. Perkins’ relatives didn’t immediately return messages seeking information about plans for her funeral.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 2 years ago

Why couldn't the baby's mother take care of the child? Typically the baby's mother wants to have HER mother there and not baby daddy's mom. However, it's a great thing SOMEBODY was there that fateful morning to save the baby.

Briseis 2 years ago

It's hard to apply different cultures practices to that of other cultures.

xyz 2 years ago

Ms. Shepherd has been granted temporary custody by a Jackson County judge. At a later date, there will be a hearing to decide permanent custody, when interested parties from either or both families can make their case.

labmonkey 2 years ago

Poor Zoey. The mother is out all night after going to a concert, and her father kills the mother and himself. I hope whoever she ends up with will be a stable influence in her life and will not take advantage of the insurance money she will receive from the NFL.

ebyrdstarr 2 years ago

Are you suggesting that because the mother one time went out to a concert and came home at 1 am, she was an unstable influence on her daughter? I didn't realize that having a child meant a woman is never, ever allowed to go out for an evening again.

labmonkey 2 years ago

The initial reports had her coming home at 7:45 AM after being out all night (I haven't seen anything to the contrary, so correct me if I am wrong), so yes, I think that said something about her. As a father to a baby, I cannot imagine either my wife or I leaving her in the care of others except to go to work for long periods of time at this stage of her infancy. Belcher's anger issues allowed him to escillate an argument to murder of his child's mother and for that then he took his own life in front of others to avoid worldly punishment and he deserves whatever punishment he receives in hell.

The point is, I hope little Zoey ends up in the care of good people who can help her deal with the details of her parents' death, and who won't piss away the insurance money she receives from the NFL.

ebyrdstarr 2 years ago

She came home at 1. I have absolutely no idea what stories you're seeing that say otherwise because this has been consistent all along. He was the one who didn't come home until about 7. Not that it should matter at all to you who are in absolutely no position whatsoever to judge what other people should or should not do in their own lives. The baby was left in the care of a loving grandmother. It's hardly irresponsible parenting for the parent to a young baby to take a little time out for him or herself once in a while.

Deb Engstrom 2 years ago

It sounds to me like the grandmother knew the situation was not good and stepped in for the sake of the child. That baby is in good hands now.

TongiJayhawk 2 years ago

“She’s my daughter-in-law, just like my daughter.”

I didn't think they were married?

mom_of_three 2 years ago

That doesn't mean that Shepherd didn't care about her like a daughter in law. She accepted her into her family as if they were and that is a good thing

otto 2 years ago

Could of been married to the baby uncle, that would still make her grannies daughter in law.

otto 2 years ago

I could care less that he smoked himself -- too bad for the others involved. Quit giving media attention to him - I am sure her family is tired of it.