Archive for Friday, August 31, 2012

Suspect in Colorado theater massacre applied to Kansas University, records show

August 31, 2012

James Holmes, the man accused of shooting and killing 12 people and injuring 58 others in an Aurora, Colo., movie theater in July, applied to graduate school at Kansas University before being accepted to a neuroscience program at the University of Colorado, Denver, according to records obtained by the Des Moines Register.

James E. Holmes appears in Arapahoe County District Court, Monday, July 23, 2012, in Centennial, Colo. Holmes is being held on suspicion of first-degree murder, and could also face additional counts of aggravated assault and weapons violations stemming from a mass shooting last Friday in a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., that killed 12 and injured dozens of others.

The records released by the University of Iowa, show that Holmes applied to five other graduate schools besides Iowa: KU, Texas A&M University, the University of Michigan, the University of Alabama and the University of Colorado.

A University of Iowa spokesman told the Register that even though student records are protected by federal law, the university was able to release Holmes’ records because he was never admitted as a student.

A professor at the University of Iowa emphatically recommended against Holmes’ admission to the program, the documents show.

“Do NOT offer admission under any circumstances,” wrote the professor, Daniel Tranel.

The Journal-World filed an open records request on Friday seeking access to the records pertaining to Holmes’ admission application to KU.

Jill Jess, a university spokeswoman, said on Friday morning that she could not comment on the situation nor could she confirm that Holmes applied to KU. University officials were trying to determine Friday morning how to respond to the request for information, she said.

Comments

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

A grad student applied to multiple schools? Shocking!

sleepy33 1 year, 11 months ago

It is mildly interesting that professor wrote “Do NOT offer admission under any circumstances,” on his application, though. What up with that?

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

I would like to know what the professor at Iowa knew about Holmes that would have him write a letter that said to deny him admission "under any circumstances".

50YearResident 1 year, 11 months ago

Why is this idiot still called a "suspect", when he was caught red-handed, on the spot and identified by at least 50 people? When does a suspect cease to be a suspect and becomes the perpetrater?

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 11 months ago

Because he has not been found guilty by the court yet.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 11 months ago

It is very doubtful the U of I professor is going to on record what he wrote. It'll be interesting if there was any such emphatic writing in other denial of admissions.

parrothead8 1 year, 11 months ago

Is the irony of your comment lost on you?

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

I wish he had gone to KU and gone to the movie theaters here. I was at the midnight Batman showing and I had my CC Glock 22. He would have been the surprised one. Oh well.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

Could have given it a shot if you know what I mean.

Armored_One 1 year, 11 months ago

So let me clarify this one.

In a dimly lit theater, you'd gladly fire a semi-automatic handgun while other movie attenders were dashing around in an effort to escape?

Samuel Colt only made men equal in their ability to cause harm to others. His products, nor others like them, do not increase common sense. That, sadly, is a diminishing trait.

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 11 months ago

What a terrible thing to say!!! You WISH the massacre had happened in Lawrence!!! So that people you know and live near would have been killed!!!

You know that the shooter was covered from head to toe with body armor and he was shooting at anyone who stood up. So the most likely outcome of your fantasy would be that the shooter would have directed his fire toward you, killing you and other people who were unfortunate enough to be sitting next to you...

But you keep carrying that gun, maybe some day you'll finally get to shoot someone like you are obviously hoping for.

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

Please clarify that comment in a way that doesn't make you look like a sexist jerk. Go!

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

Calm down. I was just saying I wished I or someone else could have stopped him before he killed all the innocents. I would gladly give my life to save any of those people that were killed.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

Your choice of wording is better in this post . As a soldier, I understand and respect your willingness to Give your life to protect others. My job,as we were trained extensively in the use of Deadly force, was to make the other guy give up his life while preserving mine and my fellow soldiers. We never wish for a fight but we are prepared.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 11 months ago

But are you a boy soldier or a girl soldier? It apparently matters.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

Not sure who you are talking to,but a U.S. soldier is a U.S. soldier no matter sex or race. I do not know any females named Thomas(first name not last) if that helps you out.

jonas_opines 1 year, 11 months ago

You talk a tough internet rhetoric, son.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

Just saying I wish SOMEONE could have stopped him. BTW body armor doesn't make him invincible. The police that arrived could have killed him instantly with very few discharges to the right weak point - though he surrendered almost instantaneously with their arrival.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

Surrendering immediately upon presence of law enforcement will be key to proving he Knew right from wrong. He was not insane. Screwed up,yes. A coward, most definitely. Hopefully he will not be able to get off on an insanity plea.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

A gas mask isn't bullet proof kid

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

I would never "hope" to shoot anybody. I never said that.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

Wishing for a "conflict" is completely contradictory to what they teach in Carry Concealed Classes. Pay the money and take the class again.Pay attention this time. The life you save may be your own!

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

Not wishing for conflict, merely wishing that I could have stopped him from hurting all those innocent people. I would have given my life to save that 6 year old, and so would you I'm sure. That's what the class is about.

SarcasmIsALostArt 1 year, 11 months ago

The last thing I would want is multiple barely capable CCH's pulling their guns and spraying the crowd in an attempt to shoot a target that is shooting back AND walking around. This is all while trying to recover from the tear gas that had been thrown into the crowd as well. That spells MUCH higher body count.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

Crowd Situations are a nightmare. Look at what happened at The Empire State Building. Shooter kills his target. Cops kill Shooter. Stray bullets from cops hurt multiple innocent bystanders. Nightmare scenario. Luckily no innocents killed.Except shooters intended victim.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

My name is Pywacket and I'm a problem solver. Look at me.

SarcasmIsALostArt 1 year, 11 months ago

So what you're saying is that you illegally carried your handgun into a legally marked no carry zone as defined by the KS AG? You're exactly the type of person that gives CCH owners a bad name. In the spirit of 'honesty' I take it you'll be turning in your permit back to the state as well?

DillonBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

I have never seen a no carry sign at the Lawrence theater.

Jimo 1 year, 11 months ago

Uh, yeah, him and the baby whose head you'd blow off, Lousy Shot.

fiddleback 1 year, 11 months ago

So, Pitt, like your 1860s hero, played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers in the film Ride with the Devil, having that concealed gun half-cocked puts some extra swing in your swagger...

Do tell, what else inspires you about that hateful and murderous bushwhacker? Is it that he mixes sneering contempt with airs of refinement? Is it the frothing blood lust he shows when executing innocent Lawrence civilians during the scenes depicting Quantrill's Raid?

Even if you're just a fan of Rhys Meyers' style, the idea that you wished this event had happened in Lawrence is just a bit too ironic. And if your trigger finger is anywhere near as loose as your words, please let me know next time you plan to go see a movie. I'd feel a lot better without you or your Glock there. If you stick to South Wind multiplex and I stick with Liberty Hall, hopefully we can avoid each other.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

you've done your homework.... and posted a lovely comment that nobody will read.

kawrivercrow 1 year, 11 months ago

I read it. A lot of others will, too, as the Holiday weekend affords more people the time to peruse articles in their downtime.

As others have pointed out, it is far more likely that you would end up adding to the body count of innocent bystanders rather than taking out the perp. If you want to be an effective hero, your best odds are by flinging your body over the nearest woman or child and taking a bullet for them.

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 11 months ago

The shooter was not a Liberal. Also, are you calling KU a "Art University"?

asixbury 1 year, 11 months ago

Liberal Arts education has absolutely nothing to do with political stance. It is a term to describe the breath (or depth) of subjects the student must complete to earn his/her degree. Maybe you should have attended one and then you may not make such nonsensical comments. My husband attended KU and we did not find so many lunatics; no more than usual at least.

kawrivercrow 1 year, 11 months ago

Is the inability to proof-read and edit posts the mark of an anti-liberal mind? If so, I give you credit for consistency in your thoughts and actions.

MarcoPogo 1 year, 11 months ago

Has the LJW disappeareded his board profile/account yet?

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

The media needs to stop regurgitating this story. Attention is exactly what this freak wanted - for his name to be synonymous with the Batman movie. Wish he would've tripped on the way in and blown his own fool head off then the taxpayers would't have to pay for his death penalty or jail time.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

With this post, I agree completely.

FlintHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Mr. or Ms. Pitt_Masterson's remarks are sad proof that violence begets violence — even if it's "just" talk on a message board. If he or she truly believes that a single armed movie-goer would have made a difference, he/she fails to understand what was happening inside the theater. Each of us grieves for the parents, spouses, siblings, friends of the fallen. But Masterson's bloody blusters serve no worthwhile purpose, other than to agitate.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

thanks for the pointless comment FlintHawk.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

You've got some clever one liners

LawrenceTownie 1 year, 11 months ago

It's very apparent that the shooter was a very mentally sick person. He was caught up in his own delusions. Probably has schizophrenia, or another brain disorder, so will not be put to death. I feel very sorry for the Colorado victims, it will be hard for them to go to another theater I am sure. Probably lots of counseling in their futures.

Eddie_Haskell 1 year, 11 months ago

Why does everything that happens anywhere in the world have to have some connection to Lawrence? What a waste of time.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

My comments weren't posted to agitate or offence anybody. Just putting my two cents in. Hatred gets us nowhere. What's important is remembering those who where killed and being thankful that it wasn't even worse than it was. God Bless America and LJworld.

fiddleback 1 year, 11 months ago

Sure, hatred gets us nowhere, except that your username/avatar is based on a hateful and murderous bushwhacker character from Ang Lee's 1999 film about the border war Ride with the Devil. As you well know, that character is as much a villain if not more than the bands of Jayhawks invading Missouri.

Not only that, but the Pitt Mackeson character is frothing with blood lust and takes special pleasure in executing innocent Lawrence civilians during the scenes depicting Quantrill's Raid.

So maybe you're just a fan on Jonathan Rhys Meyers' swagger, but with that moniker, the idea that you wished this event had happened in Lawrence is just a bit too ironic. Pitt Mackeson, even if only a fictional character, was a James Holmes to Lawrence citizens.

And if your trigger finger is anywhere near as loose as your words, please let know next time you plan to go see a movie. I'd feel a lot better without you or your Glock there. If you stick to South Wind multiplex and I stick with Liberty Hall, hopefully we can avoid each other.

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm going into town to get a drink, Dutchie.......

fiddleback 1 year, 11 months ago

Truly a rebel without a cause... Are you taking your Glock to the bar too?

Pitt_Mackeson 1 year, 11 months ago

offend* HA look at me! Correcting my own grammar. Somebody call Oxford!

KUinAussie 1 year, 11 months ago

its a shame no one asks pertinent questions like:

why does the media images of holmes not look anything like the pics posted after the initial incident.

how did a science nerd learn how to booby trap an apartment that takes two days for the fed's to dismantle.

why while holmes was IN CUSTODY, were the police looking for a suspect in a blue and white t-shirt.

who called holmes in the theater just before the rampage, and who the hell threw the smoke grenade on the opposite side of the theater...

i dare you to watch this video and have the same feelings afterwards regarding this tragedy

(ill give you a hint: incidents like these are being allowed to happen (obviously red flags were raised even before the incident.) without these events, just as without 9/11 there would be no war in the middle east), the government doesnt have the public support to enact things like: gun control.)

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 11 months ago

Really, how would a SCIENCE nerd know anything about mechanics and explosives?

Maybe it took 2 days to dismantle the booby traps because booby traps aren't made to me taken apart?

And it is very suspicious that his phone would ring. My phone never seems to ring.

How would a person be able to somehow get a smoke grenade from 1 side of a theater to the other? Maybe some sort of throwing maneuver?

Please tell me that you think the Sikh temple shooter was also a false-flag. Please! Also, did these same powers that be orchestrate the other nearly 9,000 murders that happen every year from firearms? Seems like a lot of work and orchestrating.

KUinAussie 1 year, 11 months ago

his science was not in the area of explosives, it was of the mind. maybe you should watch the video, and the interviews of people there at the scene.
the only part i will concede to, and yes id thought of it before you replied, that its possible he chucked the grenades, but i having watched the video, have 'suspicion' to believe it wasn't just him during this rampage.
the temple shooting: simply a hate crime. these are two totally different circumstances.

i dare ya to watch the video

DillonBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually, I can confirm this. I have a degree in Psychology and have absolutely no other skills, interests, or ability to learn anything else.

Also, video link didn't work for me.

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

You are aware that war has occurred in the Middle East prior to 9/11?

fiddleback 1 year, 11 months ago

Great, another whacko conspiracy theory. And I assume this is all a big manipulation so that Obama can restrict semi-automatics? Please, please stay in Australia... I mean, was never a Bush fan, but at least I didn't buy into the 9-11 truther/"inside job" crap...

And congrats on being officially as stupid as the dumbest hair metal band frontman ever. Considering that this would include not only Tommy Lee but Nigel Tufnel and David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap, it's quite the achievement for you and Mr. Mustaine. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-megadeth-dave-mustaine-obama-20120816,0,6874040.story

KUinAussie 1 year, 11 months ago

this just in...

and i would not shoot (out my anus [i was using a swear word, and filtered, so i used a thesaurus.] as you are my favorite turd...

and this is not from some conspiracy site... an actual news organization....

i swear to god. i thought the only smart county in kansas was douglas.

if you continue to ignore my warnings about the mainstream media manipulating your thoughts and actions, im going to denounce my citizenship.

seriously.

i post that no one asks questions, and then reference a conspiracy video compilation of facts. and a NEW source, verifiable to boot, and you still dare mock me?

so now i update my beliefs on this matter.

there were at least three people involved.

find me proof to counter my accusations, PLEASE!!!

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 11 months ago

If someone littered Hollywood Theatres with bullet holes, would you be able to tell a difference?