A Douglas County judge has dismissed one count of aggravated burglary against a 31-year-old Lawrence man who was originally accused of entering two homes while residents slept inside July 31.
According to court records, District Judge Kay Huff has ruled there was not enough evidence for Ronald K. Brooks Jr. to face a trial in the burglary that occurred about 4 a.m. that day in the 300 block of Northwood Lane. Huff after a preliminary hearing last week did order Brooks to stand trial for a separate aggravated burglary count for a second burglary that occurred about two hours later nearby on Woodlawn Drive.
The judge also ordered Brooks to face a trial on charges of felony obstruction for attempting to run from a Lawrence officer that morning, a misdemeanor attempted theft count, and possession of methamphetamine or possession of ecstasy.
In the Northwood Lane burglary, a woman testified to waking up and finding a man in her room. The suspect then ran from the house, but after the hearing last week, Huff said she wanted to review her notes because she said the evidence about identifying Brooks as the suspect in the Northwood Lane burglary appeared to be weaker than evidence prosecutors had in Woodland Drive burglary.
Brooks’ defense attorney in the hearing claimed he was walking to work when an officer stopped him that morning and later arrested him.