Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, August 26, 2012

40 years ago: Lawrence man severely injured in explosion

August 26, 2012

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Aug. 26, 1972:

  • Ralph B. Freed, 901 Maine, was reported in critical condition at the Kansas University Medical Center after a large can containing 15 pounds of "Bulls-Eye" pistol reloading powder had exploded from a grinding-wheel spark. The grinder had been located above the can, and Freed had been using it when the explosion occurred. Freed had suffered second- and third-degree burns over most of his body, with his arms and hands most seriously affected.
  • Movies showing in Lawrence theaters this weekend included "A Clockwork Orange," "The Wrath of God," "Fritz the Cat," and "Play Misty for Me."

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 4 months ago

Always store your powder in a cool dry environment away from potential heat or spark sources. Nylon clothing should never be worn while reloading due to potential static discharge.

Nylon clothing should never be worn. Period. Yuck.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 4 months ago

I knew ole Ralph real well, just a little careless that day down in his pawn shop there on Mass. Yes Roe is right on in storing your power in tight and dry containers , ammo cans are getting harder to find for this job, plastic and nylon both bad news.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.