Archive for Saturday, August 25, 2012

Women wake to attempted assault in their beds

August 25, 2012

Lawrence police on Friday morning arrested a 19-year-old Horton man who is accused of burglarizing two neighboring homes and attempting to sexually assault women who were sleeping in their beds.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a police spokesman, said the man was arrested on two counts each of aggravated burglary and sexual battery for the incidents that occurred about three hours apart in a neighborhood just south of the Kansas University campus. In the second case, the woman’s husband struck the suspect over the head with a pot from the stove.

The first incident occurred just before 3:45 a.m. Friday when a 24-year-old woman called police after she awoke and found an unknown man naked in her bed attempting to assault her.

“The woman yelled at the man who fled the residence partially clothed,” McKinley said. “Officers responded to the area and set up a perimeter, searching for the suspect and interviewing individuals in the area.”

When officers did not find the suspect, police did position themselves in the neighborhood and used unmarked vehicles to conduct further surveillance.

Then at 6:38 a.m., the officers in the area saw one man chasing another one. Police detained the suspect, identified as the 19-year-old Horton man, and they determined he had entered a second residence — next door to the first one — and attempted to sexually assault a woman in her bed as she slept next to her infant.

When the woman screamed, her husband rushed in from a nearby room and battered the suspect, who was attempting to flee, McKinley said.

The suspect was injured but got out of the residence. Then officers apprehended him. He declined medical attention at the scene. The victims were not physically injured, McKinley said. The sergeant said police thought the man had consumed alcohol before the two incidents.

Detectives and crime scene personnel assisted with the investigations. According to police, in at least one of the instances the suspect entered the home through an unlocked back door.

The suspect was taken to jail around noon Friday after police interviewed him. McKinley said the victims did not know the suspect.

Douglas County prosecutors will make a decision about filing formal charges against the suspect. Cheryl Wright, a spokeswoman for the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office, said prosecutors are expected to ask a judge to set his bond over the weekend. Prosecutors could then file formal charges on Monday, Wright said.

The Journal-World generally does not identify sex-crime suspects unless they are convicted.

Comments

Dan Eyler 1 year, 7 months ago

Whether or not my house is locked or unlocked, if you enter without my permission I will always believe you want to do me harm. I will attempt to call the police before I shoot the intruder. Sounds harsh but I haven't read a police report yet where someone breaks into house wasn't considered a direct threat.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 7 months ago

Firearms 'are' not needed for protection in your casa.

As a 'suave', attractive, 'virile' biped, If someone entered my home I 'didn't' like, 'karate chop.'

End of Story.

btw "entered my home" Invited or not.

Centerville 1 year, 7 months ago

If you have a gun for home protection, please get educated about what to do after you shoot and bring down a perp (or perps). There are several simple things that will make the follow-up a lot simpler for you and for law enforcement.

Deb Engstrom 1 year, 7 months ago

The kids I refer to are adults--most pretty irresponsible. Absolutely nothing in my house to steal that can't be easily replaced and I wake up as soon as someone steps on the porch. Valuable lessons learned from 30+ years of providing foster care to adolescents.

LJ Whirled 1 year, 7 months ago

I can see not naming someone in a "He Said / She Said" case, because just the accusation of a sexual assault can ruin a persons name forever ... even if it turns out to be false.

In this case, though, the police saw the guy being chased down the street by the husband who had just hit him in the head with a pan as he assaulted the wife who was in bed with the baby ... and it was his second assault in two houses.

Not much chance of a mis-identification, or any other mistake, in this one. If he is going to be bonded out, it might be fair for people to know who he is.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 7 months ago

I am stunned at Deb Engstrom whose children come and go all hours of the night. How old are these children? They break windows to get in? How many times do you put new glass in before you say enough? Oh, wait, you caved in to your kids and let them come and go whenever they wanted and left the door unlocked for their convenience. So, you are used to hearing the door being opened and footsteps and all hours. I would bet that if this guy visited their home, she is not sure whether they did or not, it was easy for him to find out that the doors are always unlocked. That would give me a very creepy feeling. I would head for the nearest locksmith to change the locks and have a heart to heart with the kids.

Benthic 1 year, 7 months ago

I would have shot him. End of story.

ironhead80 1 year, 7 months ago

verity 1 year, 7 months ago

People in Lawrence are still leaving their doors unlocked at night?

Really? What does it take?

kufan1146 1 year, 7 months ago

Also, here's a link to the exact wording for Kansas Castle Doctrine law: http://kslegislature.org/li/m/statute/021_000_0000_chapter/021_052_0000_article/021_052_0023_section/021_052_0023_k.pdf

Good stuff to know. I'm not looking to get into a pro/anti gun argument here, but I will say that I feel much safer knowing that I have a gun in my nightstand if a creep breaks into my home with the intent of raping someone inside.

kufan1146 1 year, 7 months ago

Yikes, that's right up the street from me. We make sure to always lock our doors and windows and double check every night. I am thankful the creep was caught - glad it wasn't our home, or he would probably not be alive.

Also, Kansas isn't a Stand Your Ground state, it's a Castle Doctrine state. It's pretty much the same legislation when it comes to being in your home, but SYG extends to outside the home and public places. As a gun owner, I try to be as well-informed and understand the law as best as possible, because I hope I never have to have it interpreted after shooting a creep like this trying to rape my girlfriend.

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

Sure hope there wasn't any "legitimate" rape involved. These two women are lucky this guy didn't have a gun.

Kat Christian 1 year, 7 months ago

My doors and windows are locked 24/7...as a rule. I grew up in a big suburb and we NEVER kept our doors unlocked because there are nuts (which is nothing new people) that do these sort of things, even in daylight. It can't be avoided no matter where you live. I'm not paranoid just safety concious. Young people today have relied so much on the people who made their lives secure that they don't think about doing it themselves when they get out on their own. Well here is a wake up call. Make certain to LOCK YOUR DOORS and WINDOWS before going to bed at night. It ain't rocket science here. If you have a difficult time remembering then put a sticky note where you can see it to remind you. There are crazy people out there and especially when they get to drinking and using drugs.

purplesage 1 year, 7 months ago

It seems, at first glance, that it is reasonable to identify the suspect. However, watching the news last night, there was a report on a man impersonating a bail bondsman and making off with a suspect mother's $1500.00. The KCK police spokeswoman, Kelli something, summed it up: "She didn't commit a crime; her son did." It seems so but he isn't convicted yet.

So, whatever happened to presumption of innocence? This guy looks as guilty as sin. But this is America. The suspect in the Wyandotte county jail didn't deserve to have his name associated with having committed a crime. He is not yet convicted. And as yet the guy is not convicted. So it is the cost of Constitutional rights.

Ragingbear 1 year, 7 months ago

Kansas is a "Stand your ground" state. If someone enters your place with the intent of committing a crime, especially one this bad, SHOOT THEM. And not in the knee. Aim for the head and chest. Get their kind out of the gene pool.

Also, if it is legitimate rape, you won't get pregnant. So don't worry about it.

Lawrenceks 1 year, 7 months ago

Unlike all the rest of the newspapers in the state of Kansas the LJWorld will not print the name of anybody arrested or ticketed unless it is a Fireman or Police Officer! Go figure!! Good job LJWorld, no wonder you are going broke!!

Lynn731 1 year, 7 months ago

Once again, lock your doors, get a dog that barks loudly, get a good alarm system. We live in the county and have all three. No one has tried to break in our house in 26 years. The police in this instance did an admirable job, and caught the suspect, great work !! We are served by an equally good sheriff department.

Rick Aldrich 1 year, 7 months ago

Where did it happen? This is mine and my family's neighborhood .

CLARKKENT 1 year, 7 months ago

THE MAN FROM HORTON WAS REALLY LUCKY. IF SOMEONE CRAWLED IN BED WITH MY WIFE AND BABY, THAT PAN WOULD BE THE LEAST OF HIS WORRIES. I WOULD HAVE SHOT HIM, SO THE POLICE WOULD NOT HAVE TO CHASE HIM.

Keith Richards 1 year, 7 months ago

So this guy could have injured, killed or done just about anything but something sexual and the Urinal World would identify him? Where is the logic in this?

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 7 months ago

Way to go husband! To bad you were not able to finish the job.

50YearResident 1 year, 7 months ago

In this kind of in-home attack with the perpertrater being caught and arrested and identified, wouldn't it be a good idea to publicly identify him? Possible other victims might come forward to insure a conviction.

Rick Aldrich 1 year, 7 months ago

Kick his A$$! You Can Do It. the husband should of broke the pan over his head. i 2nd the above statement.

LOCK YOUR DOORS AND WINDOWS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kernal 1 year, 7 months ago

QUIT LEAVING YOUR DOORS AND WINDOWS UNLOCKED!!!!!

It doesn't matter what area of town you live in, you are vulnerable.