Archive for Saturday, August 25, 2012

Kansas cities may vote on nondiscrimination laws

August 25, 2012

HUTCHINSON — Petitions opposing new non-discrimination ordinances have been certified in Salina and Hutchinson, possibly giving voters in both cities a chance to decide whether to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation.

In Hutchinson, however, a competing petition seeking to expand that city’s non-discrimination ordinance also has been certified, The Hutchinson News reported. That petition, sponsored by the Kansas Equality Coalition, wants to replace the non-discrimination ordinance approved by the city council on June 5 with language giving gay, lesbian and bisexual people full protection from discrimination in all matters of employment, housing and public accommodations.

The current ordinance only provides protection against firing from a job or eviction from a home because of a person’s sexual orientation.

The competing petition is sponsored by Awaken Hutchinson and the Kansas Family Policy Council and seeks to have the ordinance repealed.

Hutchinson City Manager John Deardoff said the City Council will consider the petitions Sept. 4. The council can either adopt the changes, which would conflict with each other, or agree to put the issue to a public vote within another 90 days, which would make be enough time for the November general election ballot.

In Salina, Saline County Clerk Don Merriman said Thursday that opponents have gathered enough signatures for the city to reconsider a Salina ordinance prohibiting discrimination because of sexual orientation and gender identity. The ordinance protects people from discrimination in housing, public accommodations and employment based on sexual orientation and gender identity. It went into effect June 4, according to The Salina Journal.

The Salina petition now has to go before the city commission in the next 20 days. If commissioners reject it, the effort to repeal the ordinance will go before voters in the next 90 days.

Salina resident Sid Rich, who turned in the petitions, said he was grateful people took the time to sign them.

“I am confident, when it comes to a vote, it will be repealed,” he said.

Gary Martens, chair of the north-central Kansas chapter of the Kansas Equality Coalition, was disappointed by the petition effort, but said he was “still l confident the citizens of Salina will vote against legalizing discrimination of any kind.”

Comments

Ray Parker 1 year, 8 months ago

These pro-sodomy laws are used to harass, intimidate, and threaten Christians and Christian businesses. Throw 'em out.

Trashing our heritage

Trashing our heritage by parkay

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 8 months ago

Imagine a time in the not so distant future when you drive into a city, town or municipality in Kansas that has a" Welcome" sign to all visitors Except for the list of groups or minorities the people of this area have voted to not extend rights to. This is the way we are going if something doesn't change soon. Where is the Love and Tolerance I was taught about while growing up as a Christian?

verity 1 year, 8 months ago

Damn it all, I agree with everything jhawkinsf said today. Either it's a very good day or a very bad day, I can't decide which.

It rained, so I'll go with good.

Les Blevins 1 year, 8 months ago

On the subject of inalienable rights; Not since 1854, when horse mounted Missouri ruffians invaded the polling places in eastern areas of Kansas Territory, in an attempt to extend slavery into Kansas, have we seen such a blatant attempt to engineer the outcome of US elections as we are seeing today with the underhanded voter ID laws the Republicans have initiated. In my humble opinion the Republican Party has reduced itself to the same level as those villainous invaders from Missouri who were bent on disenfranchising the weakest people and those who most supported individual freedom. This is surely the Republican’s modern day attempt to maintain the failed trickle down economic mindset that benefits the rich at the expense of the poorer among us, a mindset that over the past three decades has brought this nation to its knees economically because the benefits of trickle down are no more than a myth. I think Republicans know that In order to maintain and prolong the myth of ‘trickledown economics’ they must keep the poorer class as politically weak as possible. I think this is a very selfish, undemocratic and underhanded goal.

blindrabbit 1 year, 8 months ago

Kansas, a State in transition, not knowing which way to go, on the cusp of unimportance. Just read a article in Forbes Magazine discussing the 10 most optimistic states and how they are the one's to be located in for the future. Seven of the 10 form a contiguous band Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa; the remaining being Hawaii, Maryland and Virginia. Forbes also lists the most depressed 10 states (implying being not to be located there), they also forming a band Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Ternnessee, Kentucky, West Virginia and our buddy to the east, Missouri, can't remember the 10th. Kansas, sandwiched between these two groups used to be capable of being in the "good" 10, but with the drift to the far right, adoption of more bigoted ideas, Kansas is becoming a more likely candidate for the "bad" 10. Amazing to me how much this state has drifted from the fairly progressive, optimistic place it used to be..

JackMcKee 1 year, 8 months ago

It really might be time to leave Kansas.

Brock Masters 1 year, 8 months ago

To someone wondering why I might take the position that I do let me explain. I don't want the government dictating my behavior. As long as I don't harm someone or infringe upon their exercise of their rights the government should keep its nose out of my life.

This goes for the GOP who wants to legislate their own brand of morality. Keep your nose out of my life and my bedroom.

Unless you can prove scientifically that a fetus is a viable baby then government should not legislate how the woman deals with the pregnancy.

Unless the govern,ent can prove that same sex marriages are somehow harmful they should perform them or get out of the marriage business.

I am pretty consistent in my views. Government should stay out of our lives except to protect tem or our rights. The question today is does someone have a right to rent a private property?

headdoctor 1 year, 8 months ago

Fred, your obvious efforts at trolling are noted. If I were you I wouldn't give up my day job.

Brock Masters 1 year, 8 months ago

Unless you can say you don't discriminate against anyone for any reason or have any biases you can't attack others for doing the same without being hypocritical.

headdoctor 1 year, 8 months ago

Good point. Why would anyone want to rent from a jerk landlord. The best of both worlds would be getting him a hefty Government fine then live somewhere else. If the landlord is that big of a jerk they probably are not worth renting from anyway. Unfortunately there are parts of the country and cases involving block busting where there may be no options. If people aren't allowed to buy a house when they need one where are they suppose to live?

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 8 months ago

I wonder if the day will come that you get sued because you don't have or like black dogs?

Jez...people, make your own breaks in life. Quit looking over your shoulder crying because your day did not go as good as you wanted. Why in the world would you even want to be around a job or landlord that does not like you for what ever reason. Put on your big girl pants and move on down the road and find someone that does. Don't cry to the courts because you did not get your way.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 8 months ago

And the parade of facists continues. Ever wonder how we get these Republicans in Kansas? It is the prejudiced, bigoted, ignorant and religion soaked minions of the Koch Family Admiration Society that infects this state. Brownback and Kobach and their phony religion stances, rural residents of Pomona and such, and just plain angry and stupid people who simplly cannot accept reality and choose to follow the falsehoods and agendas of the Religious Reich that the Republicans wish to extablish in bleeding Kansas. My "god" can kick your "god's" ass is the trumpet tune of the bigots of rural Kansas.

Brock Masters 1 year, 8 months ago

If you are dependent upon another for something then it isn't a right. A right comes from Nature or God depending on your outlook. Freedom and liberty are rights. I need no one to give them to me. Property rights too. But the notion that I be accepted or that the government can make someone else rent their property to me or employ me is wrong.

And yes, I know people will say so can I not rent to a black person. Well the answer is the law prohibits it but yes, the government should not be dictating morality and taking control over one's property.

So many scream about the women's right to control her body well that same argument also applies to property.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 8 months ago

Amazing! Our Law makers would rather spend time on social issues than problems with the economy and jobs here in Kansas.Guess that proves that they have no idea what to do about REAL problems in this state.Legalize Discrimination?"Now, there is something we can do about THAT". They are taking our country Back alright. About 50 years BACKward.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 8 months ago

Ain't it great. I buy a rental house and the government tells me who or what I can rent it to, taxes me on the income, and wants to fine me if I choose to ask a renter to move...

christy kennedy 1 year, 8 months ago

"This is why your Constitution wants to protect minorities from the tyranny of majority rule by suggesting that certain rights are inalienable. Because every time you put questions to a vote where the majority is against a minority’s rights, the minority loses. Because it’s a minority. It’s a simple matter of math."—Rachel Maddow

Yes, duh, protecting the civil rights of those with differing gender preference and sexual orientations was not in the Constitution. Back then they didn't see fit to provide civil rights to slaves either.

KS 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh, good grief! Of all the problems in our country and this sort of thing rises to the top, in the middle of Kansas. Not the place to pick a fight on this one. Pretty conservative folks out there.

skull 1 year, 8 months ago

Legalize discrimination for a better tomorrow!