Archive for Thursday, August 23, 2012

Linwood man dies in car-motorcycle accident

August 23, 2012, 9:59 a.m. Updated August 23, 2012, 10:26 a.m.

A 44-year old Linwood man died in a car-motorcycle crash Thursday morning in North Lawrence.

Linwood man dies in motorcycle accident

A 44-year-old Linwood man died when his motorcycle was struck by a car around 9 a.m. on N. Third Street near the entrance to the Kansas Turnpike. Enlarge video

A 44-year-old Linwood man was killed when a car struck his motorcycle Thursday morning. The crash occurred the 1000 block of North Third Street at the intersection that allows drivers to turn west into the I-70 Business Center or east toward the East Lawrence interchange of the Kansas Turnpike.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said officers were investigating the crash, but he said preliminary information indicated at 8:50 a.m. an 80-year-old Lawrence woman was driving north and turned left in front of the cyclist when she had a flashing yellow light.

The southbound cyclist, who was wearing a helmet, struck the woman’s car. He later died from his injuries, McKinley said. His name was not released pending notification of his family.

The crash occurred in the 1000 block of North Third Street at the intersection that allows drivers to turn west into the I-70 Business Center or east toward the East Lawrence interchange of the Kansas Turnpike.

“She possibly had a flashing yellow light indicating she was to yield to southbound traffic prior to making her turn,” McKinley said.

Medics at first called for a helicopter ambulance, but no one was transported after the crash victim died.

North Third Street could be reduced to one lane each way for about six hours, police said, as officers investigate the crash scene.

Comments

consumer1 2 years, 4 months ago

This is getting Rediculous, I hope the biker and other's are okay.

Lori Romero 2 years, 4 months ago

sad to say but the motorcycle driver died

evidica 2 years, 4 months ago

The woman should be stripped of her driver's license for at least a couple of years for this. I can't believe how moronic this is.

Stuart Evans 2 years, 4 months ago

a couple years? she's 80.. This is another reason that after a certain age, individuals should be required to take an annual driving test. Not just go in and check their vision, but a full on, someone in the car, student driver style test. Every single day I see someone who should not be driving, but still out there anyway, and it scares the hell out of me.

sbward1 2 years, 4 months ago

This could have happened with anybody else. An inexperienced driver or someone on their cell phone. Age discrimination comes into play when we require drivers of a certain age to be tested more regularly. Annual tests would have to be considered for all drivers. This is a sad event for the biker's family and a lot of guilt to be carried on by the elderly woman. It's very hard to admit as an elder that you need to give up your keys and it's even harder to find a willing family member to drive you around. Yes, there are a lot of elders that probably shouldn't be driving but there are also a lot of younger people that shouldn't be either. My condolences to the family of the biker.

kernal 2 years, 4 months ago

evidica, don't you imagine the driver who caused the accident will give up her driving privilege, due to her age, without vindictive comments from us? She is probably devastated.

thefisherman 2 years, 4 months ago

The I-70 business center is where the driver's license renewal office is. I wonder if she was heading in for her renewal? If so, I hope she doesn't get it.

Joe Berns 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm not so worried about the eldery driving anymore as I am with people texting or dialing while driving. I was on the turnpike heading to Topeka this morning and a red toyota came flying up near me when I was in the middle lane. According to my speedo, which reads a few miles fast, I was doing 83 and keeping up with traffic. As she pulled ahead of me in the left lane, her car drifted towards the divider and after hitting the rumble strip for a brief period, she jerked the car back to her lane and slowed down. As I got closer to her, I saw she was texting on her phone with one hand on the wheel and wasn't looking at the road whatsoever.

Those are the people that scare me, not the elderly. And this happens multiple times in my 30 minute drive to work.

xratedsgirl 2 years, 4 months ago

After the passing of my father in law friday due to a motorcycle accident and laying him to rest yesterday I feel this families pain.....My heart is breaking all over...I will keep this family in my thoughts. I hope they are informed the right way vs. through the community. I feel the sadness all over again...something so tragic. :(

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 4 months ago

I was on Kentucky St last night when a coed turned south into oncoming traffic; she was gabbing on the phone and looking confused when I swerved to avoid her.

verity 2 years, 4 months ago

As a 60+ person, I look ahead with dread to when I will become incompetent to drive. I hope that I will recognize when I do, but many don't. I don't particularly like driving now, but---the problem is how does one then do anything, get anywhere? Our society is based on being able to drive yourself. Yes, I know there is some public transportation, but in the midwest it's not the answer.

I think everybody should be tested on a regular basis, but that would cost a lot more money and we want to be safe but we don't want to pay for it.

Mary Ellen Hall 2 years, 4 months ago

When my mother was in her mid-70's she had an accident in which she pulled out in front of another vehicle and was t-boned. Fortunately no one was injured and my mom's car was totaled. I convinced her that she should take that as a warning and that she didn't replace her car. I know it was hard for her to lose her independence but better that than to lose her life or cause someone else to lose theirs. And so as not to pick on seniors, it is very true that with students back we need to be extra vigilant and aware as many of them are new to town, talking/texting while driving and don't know where they're going. Prayers to all parties involved and everyone count your blessings that you and yours stay safe.

Clickker 2 years, 4 months ago

The #1 cause of motorcycle accidents is not missing a turn, sliding on gravel, or hitting a pothole....It is that someone turns LEFT in front of you. Motorcycle riders, PLEASE be diligent and aware of the roadway. Cars..PLEASE be aware of the two wheelers coming at you.

MOTOROCO 2 years, 4 months ago

Kind of like wars, famine, farm subsidies, taxes, welfare, bad roads, politicians, religions and a few million other things.? Having moved here from the West, people on two wheels almost outnumber those on 4 in a lot of areas.

Hoots 2 years, 3 months ago

Cars only rack up around 34,000 deaths a year. Yeah, cars are completely safe.

trinity 2 years, 4 months ago

Cost to society? Please elaborate. This accident, in my reading of this article, was not the motorcyclist's fault! And to answer your question-yep, sure enough. I hate to be trite, but I will be in repeating a slogan I see; "if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand". In reference to riding a motorcyle.

phairen 2 years, 4 months ago

This man was one of the kindest men I have ever met. My heart goes out to his children. I am sure the woman that hit him will pay a personal price. Tragedy is just that....

midwestmom 2 years, 4 months ago

What a sad story. My condolences to the family & friends of the motorcyclist.

MOTOROCO 2 years, 4 months ago

True story Yesterday at about 630 pm, at the exact spot this was reported, almost the exact same thing happened to me. Driving through that intersection on a motorcycle below the speed limit with headlight on and helmet a younger person attempted a left turn and I locked it up but the younger person reacted quick enough to stop before completing the turn. Older people do not need to be behind the wheel in this day and age. They are just too slow. When I get to be 80, I would do the same. I hope the bikers family sues the crap out of this lady. Another texter almost killed me at the intersection of Mass and 23rd by texting and slamming into the back of a pick up only 3 or 4 weeks ago. STOP TEXTING and screwing around. Motorcyclists are either the safest drivers on the road or they are arent alive long.. LOOK around people!. I just want to save gas not die because of an idiot.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 4 months ago

I bring this up all the time, but I very much dislike the blinking yellow arrows. It is always a mixed message to me. Nothing wrong with those "left turn on yield on green" like it's been for since I went to drivers ed in the late 80's.

verity 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree about the blinking yellow arrows. "Left turn yield on green" tells you exactly what to do.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

" "Left turn yield on green" tells you exactly what to do."

The following is my opinion, but I think it's correct:

That would be true if there were never any pedestrians trying to cross the street. There is a difference between a "Left turn yield on green" sign and a flashing yellow arrow. And, it's a big one if you are a pedestrian. The difference has to do with when pedestrians crossing the street, either towards you, or in your direction, have the right of way in the crosswalk to your left.

If the red arrow is on, indicating no left turn is allowed, pedestrians crossing the street on your left in the same direction as you, or towards you, have the right of way to cross the street. In that case, you are not to make a left.

The flashing yellow indicates that you are to yield to oncoming traffic, and pedestrians are not supposed to be in the crosswalk to your left.

But it probably doesn't work that way in reality, because so many pedestrians cross the street anyway.

bevy 2 years, 4 months ago

Prayers for everyone involved. A sad day for all. Some of you making hateful comments about the elderly driver should go home and hug your grandma. Shame on you!

MOTOROCO 2 years, 4 months ago

To allow an 80 year old to drive without some sort of verification that they are at least fit to drive is absurd. It is physiologically impossible for an 80 year old to react. Your mylein sheath that controls your nerves and reflexes by helping conduct action potentials degenerated about 20 years ago to the point where you have a quarter of the control if your lucky.

MissFish37 2 years, 4 months ago

I saw this collision almost immediately after it happened. No police were there yet, nor do I believe the driver of the car had exited her vehicle. I saw that poor man lying there, and my heart broke for him. It has been breaking all day, and I wonder to myself why I didn't run over there and hold his hand. My deepest sympathies go out to his family and loved ones. I imagine that the driver of the car is beating herself up at this point, so there is no need for anyone else to do so for her. We should all hug our loved ones a little closer tonight.

rlmtyco 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree, the elderly lady did look very distressed about the situation, no real need to beat her up as she is probably beating herself up more than any of us come possibly imagine.

Wbhc16 2 years, 4 months ago

I think some people on here are forgetting that's accidents happen. Its a shame that this motorist lost his life at such a young age. Prayers to his family. But in the same breath I guarentee this elderly woman is completely devasted and beating herself down enough without the help of others. She doesnt need all the ignorant comments. Whos to say that there wasnt some sort of distraction?? A horn? The sun? A vehicle or health issue. ACCIDENTS happen- no where in this article does it say she was "texting and driving," so how does this even come into play.

RachelCC 2 years, 4 months ago

I was also there before the police arrived and waited for the police to come. I have been torn up about this man all day. I know that no information has been given about his name or anything, but if possible I'd really like to send condolences to the family. My father rides a motorcycle often and this is my worst fear. Prayers and good thoughts to the family of this man and to that woman who is likely traumatized.

gtheplumber 2 years, 4 months ago

His name is Steve Miller and he is the father of my 3 children. They are devastated over the loss of their father. They are 19, 18 and 15 years old. We very much appreciate your prayers! Thank you! He was to be married Dec. 12th and his fiance is equally devastated.

rlmtyco 2 years, 4 months ago

Was as well on the scene before Police, etc got there. My heart goes out to the man and his family, what a sad thing to see. Wish there would of been a different outcome, the man was on me and my crews mind all day as we worked.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 4 months ago

Its a bad deal for all parties involved. Condolences go out to the motorcyclist family and loved ones, I can not begin to imagine what they might be going through right now. Theres alot of people harping about the elderly woman that shouldn't have been driving and that is just wrong. I don't know too many 80 year olds who go around looking to cause horrific accidents. I imagine this lady will not sleep for the better part of a week or so. I would also bet my paycheck that if she could, this lady would gladly trade places with the rider of that motorcycle.. Its a terrible accident that shouldn't have happened, but it did. Ganging up on elderly people, placing blame, and making stupid irrational coments isn't going to bring this guy back.

blindrabbit 2 years, 4 months ago

Can you imagine the added confusion of a roundabout at the same corner as the entrance to the Turnpike as an earlier blogger suggested! Maybe a better solution would be to move the entrance to the I-70 Business Park to the south end of the property so does not interfere with the turnpike exchange. Regardless, no excuse for that accident; don't know about the flashing yellow light!

angierose 2 years, 4 months ago

It's a bad time to be Robert Peck. Just yesterday afternoon, a different Robert Peck died in a crash near Muscotah. (Topeka news gave the mans name)

Both Roberts will be sorely missed.

lawupsman 2 years, 4 months ago

The intersection of 2nd and mcdonald (intersection off the turnpike by the holiday inn) has a very dangerous yellow light. if heading south and wanting to make a left hand turn onto 2nd st it will turn yellow on you and change to red as traffic heading north continues to have a green light. I've experienced this many times and can give the driver the wrong perception of thinking he or she can proceed safely.

Wbhc16 2 years, 4 months ago

Very well said. Thank you catfishturkeyhunter :)

whosaidwhat 2 years, 4 months ago

His son Stan was just at our house, to let us know his dad died. I can honestly say this breaks my heart completely. I agree with a lot of you...after a certain age you should be required to take a driving test. I lost my sister in 1965 on a lake road, because a 82 year old woman pulled out of her driveway and hit my sisters car. Carol died instantly of a broken neck.

blindrabbit 2 years, 3 months ago

none2: Not a big fan of roundabouts, especially those that have been incorporated around here! Diameter of many within the City are too small to allow efficient passage of larger vehicles, including emergency types; think not, just look at the tire rubber on inside and outside curbs of the feature. Lived back East many years, and of all places, New Jersey has successfully incorporated roundabouts (more like traffic circles), there however, they are designed into the road plan, are sufficient size to accomodate traffic and not a cute add-on as there are here.

A roundabout as you suggest at the same corner as the Tunpike exchange would be a disaster for traffic flow, throw in a major local highway, business entrances in the vicinity and traffic coming off of an interstate highway (with unfamiliar drivers to that location) trying to mix and merge. First of all not enough room to build the type that might work. Move the entrance to the business park to the south end of the property, close the entrance across from the turnpike entrance, problem solved!