Archive for Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Lawrence police officer injured while apprehending fleeing suspect

August 22, 2012

A Lawrence police officer injured his knee in a foot chase but was still able to subdue a 26-year-old Overland Park man with a Taser on Tuesday night while investigating a stolen vehicle in the 2500 block of Redbud Lane.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, police spokesman, said officers were initially sent there about 11:40 p.m. to look into suspicious activity around the vehicle. Police discovered the vehicle was stolen. One suspect, John Stephen Kissell, ran from officers, and during a pursuit an officer was able to catch up to him and take Kissell to the ground.

“The suspect appeared compliant at that point and the officer began to apply handcuffs,” McKinley said. “The suspect then attacked the officer and wrestled with him.”

At one point, according to police, Kissell pinned the officer’s leg and applied force, partially incapacitating the officer.

“As the suspect was over the injured officer, fearing further attack, the officer utilized his Taser one time,” McKinley said. “This briefly stopped the suspect’s actions, and he was taken into custody by the injured officer and one additional pursuing officer.

The officer, 25, was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, and his injury, which will require further treatment, was described as serious but not life threatening, McKinley said.

Kissell was also taken to LMH as a precautionary measure because a Taser was used in his arrest, but he was later booked into jail on charges of aggravated battery on an officer, obstruction, two counts of possession of stolen property, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a controlled substance. He was also booked into jail and held on $50,000 bond on a warrant for a Johnson County probation violation related to 2011 domestic battery and felon in possession of a firearm convictions.

Prosecutors could decide today to file formal charges related to the Lawrence chase.

Comments

Clickker 2 years, 4 months ago

The officer should have shot him. Would have been justified

martyks 2 years, 4 months ago

Clickker, you're an idiot. The guy is already getting the book thrown at him. To suggest killing a human being that was apprehended without further harm just shows how low you can go. If the officer felt his life was threatened, of course, it would be justified. But killing someone stays with you the rest of your life. You are wishing that on the officer as well.

joes_donuts 2 years, 4 months ago

I feel for the police officers in Lawrence. Their superiors are sending 9 officers (see police report from weekend) around the Oread Neighborhood to bust college kids drinking, and we only have one officer to chase down a stolen car suspect on Redbud Lane (then another officer to providing backup later). Where are our chiefs/city manager/sergants priorities?

Redbud Lane could keep 9 officers busy every night.

joes_donuts 2 years, 4 months ago

I am tired of it being dangerous for me to purchase my illegal narcotics on Redbud, I want it cleaned up so I can feel safe again.

Bursting 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree, I'm sick and tired of seeing cops just sitting around parking lots downtown doing nothing when they should be out and about. It is very obvious that we need a bigger police presence in our 1 bad neighborhood in town, doesn't sound too difficult to me.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 4 months ago

"Aggravated battery on a police officer" - have fun in jail ha!

riverdrifter 2 years, 4 months ago

You chat about chooming an awful lot. In fact, far more than anybody else on these boards. Know what I mean?

Clickker 2 years, 4 months ago

"Aggravated battery on a police officer" - have fun in jail ha!

Really, he is lucky to be in jail. I wasnt kidding with my first post..and in most major cities and some not so major ones, he would have been shot. And Police are trained to shoot to kill...not wound.

Richard Payton 2 years, 4 months ago

I hope that young officer heals and recovers from his injuries. I could care less about the thug.

pace 2 years, 4 months ago

I thank the officers that caught the culprits and hope the officer harmed, the best. I hope he heals and doesn't suffer. Knees can be very painful. I also hope he is proud of handling a hard and dangerous job professionally. He should be lauded, not condemned for not shooting the person. As to the incredibly stupid remarks implying they wish the officer had shot and killed someone, I believe those to be stupid and cowardly remarks. To wish for the officer to use excessive force, to end a life unnecessarily , probably ending the officer career so they can fantasize about the death of someone they don't know is just bizarre.

I thank the officers and appreciate they respond to calls from help from the public.They deserve respect, not condemnation for using the right tool instead of shooting. '

Clickker 2 years, 4 months ago

If the officer thought his life was in danger, he should have shot him...not tased him. The kid is very lucky to be alive.

pace 2 years, 4 months ago