Archive for Tuesday, August 21, 2012

David Letterman roasts Rep. Yoder over skinny dipping incident

August 21, 2012

David Letterman got some laughs at U.S. Rep. Kevin Yoder's expense after the congressman apologized for skinny dipping in the Sea of Galilee last summer. Last night's Top 10 list on "Late Night with David Letterman" mocked Yoder's excuses for the swim, which has drawn much criticism from political circles.

Yoder said he had been drinking when he took off his clothes following a long day on a fact-finding trip to Israel, but that alcohol did not play a factor.

Video

David Letterman roasts Rep. Yoder in Top 10 list

Comments

Ken Lassman 2 years, 4 months ago

David's jokes were low hanging......fruit!

KS 2 years, 4 months ago

You would have been raising more (you know what) had it been paid for by the taxpayers. Me too, but as far as I am concerned, this is a non-issue. Private money, at night, with his wife. Maybe a little wine. Sounds like fun to me. I think the lefties in Lawrence are just jealous. How much pot have you all smoked?

globehead 2 years, 4 months ago

Frankly, I don't care at all about the skinny dipping. So what? I'm much more concerned about the idea of elected officials accepting these trips on so called "private money". I think there are always implied strings attached and I think that is a huge source of our problems today. I think much more attention should have been paid to that part of the scandal.

patkindle 2 years, 4 months ago

hey , kansas is pretty cool missouri has todd akin pick your battles

globehead 2 years, 4 months ago

Kansas has Sam Brownback so there's no room to gloat about Missouri having Akin.

patkindle 2 years, 4 months ago

ps this occured August 18, 2011, what took them a year to get it out?? duh>??

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 4 months ago

It took a year to "get it out" because the entire incident was so heavily suppressed that it wasn't until a reporter from The NY Times got wind of it and started doing some investigative journalism that it came out. The GOP covered this up like a cat covering poo and the reporter spent many hours interviewing people, quizzing the FBI and filing FoA requests about their investigation and digging it up that it finally came to light. He made sure that ALL of his ducks were in a row before he broke the story.
This kind of cover up says more about the incident than the fact that Yoder dunked his bare winkie.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 4 months ago

Or it took over a year for somebody to think that this was really that interesting.

Currahee 2 years, 4 months ago

Who cares? This issue is overblown. Can we pay attention to more important things? I'd rather have a law maker who is a little loose than high strung.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 4 months ago

This is a non issue.

However, this non-issue is probably the most recognition Yoder has ever received or will ever receive.

Sad that voters chose such a mediocre congressman.

KS 2 years, 4 months ago

Yea, and to think he graduated from KU! You know all these politicians are dummies. My ole my, what happened?

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

Jumping in the water naked is an odd thing to do. I've done it on occasion, while drunk and in the company of women. at night, but it isn't how I usually entered the water.

It was probably not the right thing to do if you want to represent the prudish citizenry of the fine dust bowl of Kansas.

chootspa 2 years, 4 months ago

Or trolling for gay sex in airport restrooms or paying a madame for prostitution services involving diapers or refusing a breathalyzer when pulled over and talking his way out of the automatic license suspension... oh wait, he did do that last one.

somedude20 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, because going to a foreign country while representing the US and breaking that country's laws are in no way worse than breaking a moral oath with a family member, now that is common sense

Dispersant 2 years, 4 months ago

I love how people care so much about Weiner's poor, poor wife. Well, until they wanted to out her as a "secret, scary Muslim!" sent here to destroy America!

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

I didn't know she was Muslim, nor do I care. She married a sleazeball.

globehead 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree with you in theory but Yoder is in his first term. It would be a novel idea to limit them BEFORE they serve but that deal is kind of up to the voters and in this case it just didn't work. It does seem like these days that if someone WANTS to run for congress they ought to be considered ineligible immediately. I pretty much believe my theory was proven valid with the Republican presidential primaries with the exception of Jon Huntsman who actually seemed quite bright. That in itself served to disqualified him in the eyes of the voters. The rest, except for one, were the victims of pure Darwinism which serves up a real paradox because they also served the role of disproving the existence of evolution. It's all quite complicated. I'm convinced we'd all be better off if we voted via scratch and sniff stickers.

gbulldog 2 years, 4 months ago

I no longer watch David Letterman. Why should I put up with "Horse Pucky" that he calls entertainment. How much is he getting paid by Obama Campaign or is he donating his time. Let the rich Democrats, along with the welfare industrial complex, continue to promise the poor every thing, but deliver nothing. Remember the movie Solient Green? Keep the "poor" ignorant and hopeful until you blow the whistle. But cares as long as you do not go?

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

Machi_man is for term limits & so am I! Something like two terms for US senator, three for a congressman & two for a governor. That's about as long an opportunity for potential graft & undue influence as any of 'em should get.

JHOK32 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh ye of little faith, are you not aware that these people, Tait, Brownback, Bush, Yoder, Perry, etc... go to church every Sunday to show the world that they are all holier than thou? These are what REAL Christians look like & what REAL Christians do! They do not want ANY government in our lives, (except of course for the fine print which says that their "less government" will decide what a woman can or cannot do with her own body (hmmmm, didn't a guy named Hitler sort of say those same things?). And I know there's a bible verse somewhere about when Jesus got plastered & jumped in the jordan river naked - but I just can't seem to find that one? And we all know the parable about when Jesus hung out with the billionaires & passed the legislation that forced all those scumbag people eating their meals out of trashcans to pay for the billionaires' taxes - I think that one is in Matthew? Oh no, Matthew was a tax collector, so which side was he on again? - it's really quite confusing isn't it?

fancy80 2 years, 4 months ago

yep, this was stupid, but rather harmless. I'm a little curious why we aren't hearing a lot more about the politician from Minnesota that was charged with molestation of a 17 year old boy? In my book, that is 100 times worse, yet we are hearing nothing about it. Why is that? Oh wait...I know...it's because he is a democrat.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 4 months ago

Well, it's hardly a secret (you know about it, don't you?) But the reason it probably isn't getting wider exposure is probably because he's a member of the state legislature, not the federal legislature-- i.e., it's a local/state, not a national, issue.

And pretty much every Democrat in Minnesota has asked him to withdraw from the race. To my knowledge, no Republican is asking Yoder to withdraw his candidacy.

msezdsit 2 years, 4 months ago

The natives won't even swim in this place. Or at least those who claim to be native to the area.

Alexander Smith 2 years, 4 months ago

LOL I think this is funny as heck. It really shows how in public a Rep has all these ethical beliefs and rules and is golden child for society and has no flaws...but as soon as the public is not in view.. BAMM break all the rules.

Not saying the Dems are much better but you got to admit.. at least the point out the flaws, even if its them AND suggest a solution. GOP just likes to point fingers...its never their fault.

George_Braziller 2 years, 4 months ago

Yoder, Brownback, and Kobach are all three a complete embarrassment to the state of Kansas. They should be cast as Larry, Moe and Curly in a John Carpenter movie.

msezdsit 2 years, 4 months ago

Here now george, lets not disrespect the Larry, Moe, and Curly.