Archive for Monday, August 20, 2012

Military equipment, including body armor, other items stolen from service member’s vehicle

August 20, 2012

A member of the military reported to Lawrence police Monday morning that someone stole $6,200 worth of items from him in a vehicle burglary.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a police spokesman, said the victim had a pack taken from the vehicle that contained a Macbook computer, military body armor, a helmet, uniform and other items. The burglary was reported between 6 p.m. Sunday and 6 a.m. Monday in the 900 block of Kentucky Street. The suspect has not been identified, McKinley said.

Comments

irvan moore 2 years, 3 months ago

since he has body armour in the car too i'm thinking he's not an idiot but maybe someone who puts themself in harms way for our country, i hope he gets his stuff back

Topple 2 years, 3 months ago

What observant said. At least I can add someone to my "posts never worth reading" list.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

A very foolish statement indeed. It would be nice if more of our resident liberals repudiated KansasLiberal's statements. As well as our resident conservatives. As well as our resident moderates. As well our resident unaffiliated(s).

Bob Forer 2 years, 3 months ago

Here, here. I am to the left of liberal, and I without without equivocation or reservation repudiate KansasLiberal's statements. I will not allow Liberal's statement to stand without an attempt to disabuse him of his naive and idiotic comment. I may not agree with every war the United States of America has fought, but I believe that the United States requires a ready and capable military force. Any disagreements he has should be with the politicians who choose the wars, and not the brave young men and women who fight them.

Shame on him (or her). He or she is both a knave and a fool .

Bob Forer 2 years, 3 months ago

Whoops. The proper words are hear, hear, not here, here. TheSycophant gives himelf an F for English Composition.

Anthony Mall 2 years, 3 months ago

Are you kidding me??? Hope I meet you sometime very soon... Members of the military including myself have served honorably, and many have lost everything... The military fights everyday so you can make ignorant comments without being jailed or persecuted... In your case a good slap upside the head is deserved... Oh, YOUR WELCOME!!!

kernal 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't know what you are, but doubt you're a liberal.

camillia 2 years, 3 months ago

We are military, Active Duty family, living in Lawrence..we are not on Welfare but please clarify on your comment. You dont have to support the wars but its pretty crappy that you dont support the troops who WOULD fight for YOUR right to speak this way if we ever had to AGAIN.

usesomesense 2 years, 3 months ago

The bigger question is what kind of idiot steals military equipment? He just stole from all of us.

Topple 2 years, 3 months ago

I would guess someone who wants to resell it, or use it themselves. Just hope they have nothing evil in mind.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 3 months ago

KansasLiberal what a rude remark! The computer was in a bag with several other items, not out in the open. It sounds like it was quite a large bag. Is he going to be responsible for replacing all those items? Because that is going to be tough for a soldier to do. I am very curious as why this bag was stolen. Was it someone who knew that the body armor was in the bag and plans to use it?

Topple 2 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence is filled with right-wingers? Lawrence, Massachusetts?

oldbaldguy 2 years, 3 months ago

my kid keeps his body armor in his car when he is not wearing it as part of his job. its in the trunk. this soldier could have been visiting from a nearby installation. serving your country is an honorable profession. you are not an idiot when you do so.

camillia 2 years, 3 months ago

Well since you think you know everything, let me inform you why....CTT is currently going on at FT. LEavenworth OR there could be Natl Guard training here in town and the gear is a pain in the butt to take in and out of the car everyday so he/she probably just left it there overnight. OR he/she could be an ROTC KU student that just got here and didnt have everything unpacked yet.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 3 months ago

Some armed thief with body armor is a very bad thing.

Bob Forer 2 years, 3 months ago

Good comment. That stuff brings a pretty penny on ebay.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 3 months ago

I don't think a pawn shop would touch it. I was stunned to find out that you can buy military body armor on eBay. I would think that would be illegal.

bevy 2 years, 3 months ago

Ya'll may not know this, but many soldiers are buying their OWN body armor, because the army doesn't provide it, or what they provide is not up to snuff. So this kid may be paying for it twice. Nice "blame the victim" mentality, KansasLiberal. Way to beat up on guys who put their lives on the line every day so you can spout off.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you, bevy, because I did not know that. It makes me very angry to think that the government can send our troops to fight a war that should never have begun in the first place and then not give them proper equipment. Want to bet that military suppliers are receiving full price for inferior goods?

camillia 2 years, 3 months ago

Frankie you would be very surprised what they charge soldiers for lost gear. Esp. when the stuff is old and dated. My husband always fears losing his stuff bc of what he would have to pay back.

oldbaldguy 2 years, 3 months ago

kernal 2 years, 3 months ago

Isn't stealing military equipment from military personnel a federal crime?

infidel 2 years, 3 months ago

Speaking as a National Guard Soldier, it is very common to keep your TA-50 gear in your possession, that would include your IBA or IOTV, (your body armor). Yes, you have to secure it. A car or truck should be secured. Mine is in my home all the time unless I need it for a duty purpose, then it is used and returned to my home. I don't know the exact number of National Guard or Reserve Soldiers in Lawrence, but I suspect it is greater than most residents think.

infidel 2 years, 3 months ago

Also, I forgot to mention that, KansasLiberal is a F*&^$#g retard, who should stay at home in his or her's parents basement.

LeBo 2 years, 3 months ago

Your supply officer is going to love you.

armywife 2 years, 3 months ago

The soldier should have taken his gear inside, it is never to be left unsecured in your vehicle regardless on if it is locked or not. The soldier will most likely have the missing equipment taken out of his monthly pay and get a counseling statement from his chain of command.

As for the comments by KansasLiberal.......seriously you feel the need to belittle the same people that defend your freedoms to spout off like you did in this blog....I'd like to see you go into another country like Iraq or Afghanistan and make these same comments.....if you were one of those countries citizens you would not be allowed to say anything against anyone in those countries, well unless you'd like to be stoned to death, shot, hanged or doused in acid. I definitely support freedom of speech, it is when individuals spout childish, uneducated comments that I think to myself what a waste.....if you're going to condemn those that protect your freedoms at least have something somewhat more intelligent to say...