Archive for Saturday, August 18, 2012

Right decision

August 18, 2012

Leadership means doing the right thing regardless of what the crowd yells, the booster club proclaims or the accountant recommends. Given the recent incontrovertible evidence of a connection between football and serious brain injury (“Football’s flaws can’t be fixed,” Journal-World, Aug. 6), the Kansas University chancellor and the USD 497 school Superintendent ought to declare their institutions will no longer sponsor football programs and be accessories to this violence.

Informing players that they are risking their health is insufficient. As George Will points out, these injuries may not manifest themselves until later in life, long after the glory days of the gridiron are forgotten. Canceling these football programs will be hard; but if we truly care about students/children, it is the right decision.

Comments

rtwngr 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, after seeing that the LJW would allow this drivel to be printed, how many others who send letters to the LJW will continue to do so?

jafs 1 year, 8 months ago

The new information about football is that even impacts that don't cause concussions are dangerous over time, more so than was previously thought.

camper 1 year, 8 months ago

I think there is much truth to brain injury as correlated to football. I played 10 years of organized football and calculate that I was subject to thousands of big hits to the helmet ( I place strong safety and cornerback). This is about one hundred games and probably close to 500 practices if you add the years up.

I have never been diagnosed as having one concussion, but I now believe that a signigant hit to the helmet does jar the brain. For the most part, I came away intact, but I have had some problems (depression). I am in no way going to blame football, but if I could do it all over again I would have stuck to baseball and track. If I had children, I would allow them to play football, but I would not encourage them to do so.

Mixolydian 1 year, 8 months ago

This is why I don't let my children out of the house unless they're wearing an all-purpose helmet and an air inflated fat suit costume. You can't be too safe these days.

labmonkey 1 year, 8 months ago

What about soccer? Heading a hard ball (which is actually encouraged whereas hitting with your head is penalized in football) coming in at 30-40 mph doesn't cause concussions? The reason I bring up soccer is because it seems that those who want to get rid of football champion soccer.

One thing George Will (Mr. Baseball guy) neglects to mention is that football players live longer than the population and even MLB players on average.

Rich Noever 1 year, 8 months ago

Ray, did you take one too many hits to the head?

Mark Thompson 1 year, 8 months ago

There is also "incontovertible evidence" linking falls from ice skating, skate boarding, skiing, drunken stupors, .... to concussions. Let's outlaw falling!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 8 months ago

Football's demise will begin as parents and schools realize that subjecting kids to such physical damage is a really stupid idea. This will slow and eventually end the flow of players into the college system, and eventually the pros.

It'll be interesting to see how quickly that happens.

jaywalker 1 year, 8 months ago

There's inherent risk in virtually every physical activity. Hell, 40,000+ die in car accidents every year. Let's ban cars!

Cop a clue, Mr. Finch.