City commissioners will consider creating a new Joint Economic Development Council that will provide “general oversight and vision” of the economic development efforts in Lawrence and Douglas County.
The council will have 12 voting members. They include: the chair of the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce; a Lawrence city commissioner; a Douglas County commissioner; the chancellor of Kansas University; the executive chair of the Bioscience and Business Technology Center; two representatives from the business community appointed by the chamber president; two community members appointed by the Lawrence City Commission; and two community members appointed by the Douglas County Commission.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from 07/17/12.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions:
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a.) Set bid date of September 11, 2012 for the Parking Garage Maintenance, Project No. PW1215.
b.) Set a bid date of September 18, 2012 for Bid Number B1251, Project UT1208KW Chlorine Contact Basin Scum Skimmer Equipment Replacement.
c.) Award bid for one (1) side load refuse truck for Public Works Department to Downing Sales and Service for $170,365.
d.) Award the bid for the Pennsylvania Street (8th Street North 200’) storm sewer pipe, Project No. PW1221, to Cretex Concrete Products Midwest, for a total amount of $32,680.
e.) Authorize City Manager to enter into agreement with Immanuel Lutheran Church, 2104 Bob Billings Parkway, to acquire right-of-way in exchange of vacating existing right-of-way for improvements with the Iowa Street reconstruction project, Project No. PW1012.
f.) Authorize the City Manager to execute Change Order No. 1 to the construction contract with EmCon Inc. for priority group I of Project UT0919CS General Wastewater Pumping Station Improvements increasing the contract amount by $54,474.80.
g.) Authorize the installation of a walking trail and connecting sidewalks at Deerfield Park, by Elite Construction, in an amount not to exceed $30,000.
• Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8779, adoption the 2012 Standard Traffic Ordinance, Edition 2012.
• Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a.) Ordinance No. 8747, making changes in Sections 19-101, 19-214, 19-302 of the City code related to master water meters and location requirements for public sanitary sewer mains and private sanitary sewer lines.
b.) Ordinance No. 8754, regarding sidewalk sales permits.
• Adopt Resolution No. 6987, establishing the 150th Anniversary Advisory Committee, to assist in planning events in remembrance of Quantrill’s Raid.
• Initiate text amendments to various sections of the City Code related to land development processes.
• Authorize Staff to advertise Request for Proposals R1212 for Engineering Services for Project UT1209 – Taste and Odor, and Algal Toxin Water Treatment Process Evaluation.
• Authorize the City Manager to execute a Permanent Utility Easement Agreement with Alltel Communications, LLC d/b/a Verizon Wireless, a Delaware limited liability company, granting it a permanent utility easement across the City’s property, 2121 Wakarusa Drive (Fire State No. 4), in exchange for the provision and installation of conduit along the easement area and the installation of one handhold at a site selected by the City, all in accordance with the terms of the Permanent Utility Easement Agreement.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• After opening a public hearing for Regular Agenda Item No. 1, CPA-4-12-12, Regular Agenda Items No. 1 – 3 will be deferred until August 28.
Consider a Comprehensive Plan Amendment, CPA-4-2-12, to Chapter 6 of Horizon 2020 to create CC600 District policies and to Chapter 14 Specific Plans, to revise the West of K-10 Plan and A Nodal Plan for the Intersection of West 6th Street & Kansas Highway 10 (K-10) designating the node of 6th Street and K-10 as a CC600. Initiated by City Commission on 4/10/12. (PC Item 5; approved on 5/21/12)
Consider a Text Amendment, TA-4-3-12, to the City of Lawrence Land Development Code to create a CC600 zoning district. Initiated by City Commission on 4/10/12. (PC Item 6; approved 7-1-1 on 5/21/12)
Consider a request to rezone, Z-4-5-12, approximately 146 acres located in the NW quadrant of the intersection of West 6th Street/Hwy 40 and Kansas Hwy 10 (K-10) from County A (Agriculture) District and County B1 (Neighborhood Business) District to the pending district CC600 (Community Commercial) District to accommodate a regional recreation facility.
• Receive request from Downtown Lawrence, Inc., to install a sign of community interest at the corner of 9th and Massachusetts Streets.
• Receive petition from River Bend Court area residents requesting annexation of 1742 E. 1350 Road.
• Consider adopting joint City Ordinance No. 8719/County Resolution No. , establishing a Joint Economic Development Council for the City of Lawrence and Douglas County.
• Consider approving the draft policy regarding transfers from the City’s enterprise funds to the general operating fund.
• Receive the City Auditor’s Cash Handling Performance Audit.
• Receive recommendation from the City Auditor to amend the current performance audit work plan to include one or both of the proposed performance audits on Financial Indicators and Taste/Odor of Water.