Archive for Friday, August 17, 2012

Fire destroys house north of McLouth

August 17, 2012


A fire heavily damaged a house Thursday evening north of McLouth, but the occupants were able to get out safely, said Union Township Fire Chief Carl Chalfant.

Chalfant said a preliminary investigation indicated the fire started due to a propane leak to a basement water heater. An explosion occurred about 6:10 p.m. Thursday in the 12000 block of Washington Road about four miles north of McLouth.

The house was a total loss as the fire caused an estimated $90,000 in damage, Chalfant said. The family declined assistance from the American Red Cross because close family lived nearby, the fire chief said.

On Friday the Kansas State Fire Marshal Office’s was called in to investigate the cause of the fire.

Several neighboring departments also responded.


davidmcg 5 years, 9 months ago

Fire Marshall was there last night. That was the second house fire in rural McLouth this week. Monday night about 11PM a house caught fire and was destroyed also on Wellman Road, north of 94TH.

davidmcg 5 years, 9 months ago

If you are going to have propane fueled appliances in your basement you must have a dedicated floor drain/vent for that appliance. Regardless if it is a walkout basement or not. Propane is heavier than air and sinks, natural gas is lighter and rises. It is against building code to have a propane appliance in the basement unless there is a drain. Also, check your CSST tubes. They are the flexible pipe between the gas line and appliance for leaks at least annually. Not with soap, there is a special blue liquid that you are supposed to use. Soap breaks down the coating and may not always produce a bubble to indicate a leak. I am a home inspector and the floor drain is always a write up if it is missing. The advice to check for leaks annually is also included in every report.

speed05 5 years, 9 months ago

How in the hell is a floor drain supposed to vent the propane.It may be heavier but there is no pressure to push it through the trap.All water producing appliances (water heater,ac,condensing furnace,RO.softeners,filters,)need drainsYou like most other inspectors I have delt with dont know half of what you are looking at.

davidmcg 5 years, 9 months ago

Alright speed, that is what ya know. But here are the facts,propane, like its natural gas cousin is odorless. An odorant such as ethyl mercaptin is added to alert occupants to the presence of leaks. However the odorant may lose its effectiveness, particularly if there is rust in the tank. Propane is explosive at lower concentrations (2% - 3% of air) than natural gas. Propane appliances in basements or pits must have a dedicated drain to daylight. The drain must not have a trap. You have no idea of the detail or competency of my work, so you have zero basis for your allegation. To say such things of the profession of home inspectors is at best your opinion. To specifically point me out, is an allegation and slanderous. To do so in a public forum is wreckless. Do you really want to go down the path of slanderous and wreckless accusations in public? In this matter I have the International Residential Code in my pocket which has been adopted and observed by every county in this nation, and as such is directly admissable as fact, not opinion in every court of law.

xdcr 5 years, 9 months ago

I presume the fire wasn't caused by a propane leak. If a house is destroyed by a propane leak there isn't much of a fire, just a big "bang".

Commenting has been disabled for this item.