Archive for Thursday, August 16, 2012

Full-time job?

August 16, 2012

Was anyone looking for the Kansas Secretary of State on Wednesday?

One person who might have been looking was Shanti Gandhi of Topeka, who wants Secretary of State Kris Kobach to intervene in a special election scheduled by Shawnee County commissioners to resolve a mix-up that caused many voters at one Topeka polling place to receive the wrong ballot in last week’s primary. Gandhi won the Republican primary for the 52nd District seat in the Kansas House but only by 45 votes, and he’s concerned the special election may unfairly lead to his defeat.

Someone in Kobach’s office reportedly responded to a letter from Gandhi on Wednesday, but Kobach himself wasn’t working for the residents of Kansas that day. He was working for another client: the city of Hazleton, Pa.

In fact, he was in Philadelphia defending the immigration laws he helped write for Hazleton before a three-judge panel of the Third Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals. Working on immigration law across the country is something Kobach says he does in his spare time.

Perhaps he took a vacation day on Wednesday, but Kobach’s decision to continue to work for paying clients in other states still is troubling. No matter where Kobach is or what he’s doing, he still represents the people of Kansas. The people of Kansas elected him to serve as their secretary of state. That’s a full-time job that should have his full-time attention.

Comments

leaningleftist 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually the less he's in kansas the better off we all are, in kansas at least, feel for the people of PA however

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

As a state of Kansas employee, I am prohibited from getting money from any other business or entity while in the service of the State of Kansas. The term they use is Double Dipping. Another Double Standard I guess. We, as a state, pay Kobach to do a Full time Job in the state of Kansas for the People of Kansas. He is here part of the time. I think his salary and benefits should be reduced to Part Time Status. Why is Double Dipping illegal for me and others but OK for people like Kobach? This double standard has gone on long enough! It is time for State Officials to play by the same rules as their constituents.

JayhawkFan1985 1 year, 11 months ago

Many state employees, particularly single moms in clerical positions at the state, work a second job. You're not banned from a second job as a state employee unless it poses a conflict of interest or otherwise interferes with your job. I'm a state employee too. I hate the GOP in this state. But what you wrote just ain't so.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes. You pointed out what I failed to clarify. Sorry about that. I am prohibited from holding other positions with the state of Kansas as a government employee because I am already employed by the State of Kansas. I am sure this pertains to other state governments as well.

texburgh 1 year, 11 months ago

"No matter where Kobach is or what he’s doing, he still represents the people of Kansas."

Please do not smear all of us with statements like this. While he may be SOS, he does not "represent" me. I would prefer for the rest of the world to clearly understand that there is nothing of me in anything Kobach does, says, or is.

klicking 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't know about the state's rules, but KU and K-State (http://www.k-state.edu/conflict/) have conflict rules addressing effort: "In some cases the external activities of faculty and staff, such as consulting, outside employment, public service, pro bono work, or serving as an officer of an external entity, even without compensation, can result in real or apparent conflicts regarding commitment of time. BOR policy states that full-time unclassified faculty and staff of K-State owe their primary professional responsibility to their employing institutions and their primary commitment of time and intellectual effort should be to the education, service, research, and scholarship missions of the University."