Archive for Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Kansas State Fair, PETA clash over booth restriction

August 15, 2012

— The activist group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is objecting to conditions imposed by Kansas State Fair officials on its planned exhibit.

PETA said Wednesday the restrictions amount to unconstitutional censorship of its message.

The fair takes place Sept. 7-16 in Hutchinson.

Fair officials say any videos or pictures of animals being decapitated, dismembered or butchered must not be readily visible outside PETA's booth, so that fairgoers will have to make a conscious choice to view the material.

PETA calls the condition a content-based restraint on its free speech. It contends that since the fair is a public forum, restrictions based on viewpoint are prohibited.

A fair official referred questions Wednesday to general manager Denny Stoecklein, who did not immediately return a message.

Comments

Hooligan_016 2 years, 7 months ago

So the anti-abortion activists that come to campus and erect their giant boards get a free pass?

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

Why is depicting animals being dismembered, butchered or decapitated an issue? Do fairgoers not know what happens to livestock?

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

I guess that is why it puzzles me that the Fair officials are putting restrictions on the PETA display. It isn't as if PETA is showing info that people don't already know.

riverdrifter 2 years, 7 months ago

"It isn't as if PETA is showing info that people don't already know."

Then it's a waste of time, right? Right. It is a waste of their time, but then, they're experts of doing just that, wasting everybody's time. Maybe they'll have their bikinis on. Gag.

Katara 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't care one way or another how they choose to spend their time or if they are wasting their time. I am just not understanding why the Fair officials are putting restrictions on their display.

It just seems like the Fair officials are making a mountain out of a molehill and just are giving PETA ammunition to call even more attention to themselves. The Fair officials' ruling on this is counterproductive and had they left things alone, most would have just ignored the PETA people there.

Armored_One 2 years, 7 months ago

The hoopla wouldn't be from the adults, directly, but instead parents with children that might be very upset by the pictures.

While I, as an adult, can and do accept slaughterhouse practices, my young child might very well be upset to see graphic images, and frankly PETA can bite my shiny metal [BEEP]. I don't care how passionate they might be, giving my little one nightmares will be grounds for me getting directly in your face and leaving you with no doubts as to my opinion of your tactics.

Common sense, in this day and age, is far from common, sadly.

somedude20 2 years, 7 months ago

Ok, so The Phelps can hold signs too vulgar for me to repeat here at funerals but PETA can't have a sign pointing out the horrible conditions that animals live in.....awesome. I don't even care much for PETA and I call bs on this

Liberty275 2 years, 7 months ago

Next time peta has an event, someone should show up grilling burgers and hot dogs..