Archive for Tuesday, August 14, 2012

City approves purchasing trash carts, cheaper rate

August 14, 2012

Lawrence residents, start measuring your trash.

City commissioners on Tuesday agreed to spend $885,490 to order enough trash carts to outfit every single-family home in the city with a plastic cart. But commissioners also agreed to a new rate plan that will cut the trash bills of households that can routinely fit their trash into a small, 35-gallon cart.

“It seems to me we want to create an incentive where people aren’t putting so much trash in the landfill,” said City Commissioner Mike Amyx.

Commissioners at their weekly meeting unanimously went against a staff recommendation and created a new rate system that provides a $1.50-per-month reduction in trash rates for people who agree to use the 35-gallon cart.

Under the new rate plan, residents will pay $13.44 per month for trash service if they use a 35-gallon cart. Currently, the base rate for trash service — with no cart — is $14.94 per month.

Under the new system, which is expected to begin by late October, all single-family households will be required to use a cart. City leaders believe most households will use a 65-gallon cart. The monthly rate for the 65-gallon service will be $14.94 per month, which is equal to the current base rate.

Households who use a 95-gallon cart will pay $16.94 per month.

Commissioners increased that 95-gallon rate by $1 over what staff members had recommended. Commissioners then reduced the 35-gallon rate by $1 compared with what staff members had recommended.

The city is still proposing that residents “occasionally” will be allowed to set out extra bags of trash that won’t fit into their wheeled carts. But commissioners said the city likely will have to be strict on the enforcement for those taking advantage of the reduced 35-gallon rate.

“We need to write some type of policy that if this is abused, it will be taken away,” said City Commissioner Aron Cromwell.

In other news, commissioners agreed to a 20-month, $233,800 lease to move the Lawrence Public Library into the former Borders bookstore, 700 N.H., while the main library undergoes a $19 million expansion.

The move is expected to happen by early January. Commissioners said they expect the move to help save on construction costs at the library.

Comments

LeBo 2 years, 4 months ago

Even East St. Louis had the carts 15 years ago.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 4 months ago

Deffenbaugh WILL NOT provide the same quality of service that the city of Lawrence provides and has provided for decades.

Deffenbaugh is owned by a group of investors from Belgium.... why send more USA $$$$ out of the country? or more $$$$ to Kansas City?

Again It would be best for the city and taxpayers to keep city trash service for quality of service and to keep locals on the job. Keep the money in town = best for the local economy.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm.... since I don't have kids that use the school system in Lawrence, does that mean I qualify for a lower (35 gallon) rate on my property taxes? Everyone should be charged the same no matter what size trash cart is forced upon them.

A very small percentage of residents in Lawrence use the 6' wide bicycle paths, but those charges are cross-leveled against all of us. Lets add an addition fee to those who own bicycles, or decrease the taxes for those of us who don't. Looks like Lawrence has caved in to the small vocal group again, those who demand someone else pay their bills.

boltzmann 2 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm... what does this have to do with property taxes? The charges come in the water/sewer/trash bill, not property taxes. Why should everyone pay the same independent of the amount of trash they generate - which would mean that people who generate less trash would be subsidizing those who generate more trash.

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

I think they're trying to say if they have to subsidize public education and bike paths even if they don't use them, then the rest of us should subsidize their large trash output.

But, it wasn't said very clearly.

parrothead8 2 years, 4 months ago

If you produce less trash (and take up less space in the landfill), you pay less. Produce more, pay more. If everyone paid the same amount, wouldn't my 87-year-old neighbor who sets out one tiny bag of trash per week be helping to pay the bills of the guy down the street who routinely sets out three full cans and a piece of junk from his garage?

Explain to me again how my 87-year-old neighbor paying less for her trash pickup is demanding that someone else pay her bills.

costello 2 years, 4 months ago

Could we get a spell check on that title? I open up ljworld.com and get hit with a glaring typo:

"City approves purchaseing trash carts, cheaper rate"

Ronda Miller 2 years, 4 months ago

Are these carrts made in the good ole USA or perhaps China? Please share a little more information with us. Thank you.

snitty 2 years, 4 months ago

I hope that they are, at least, made out of recycled plastic . . . !

snitty 2 years, 4 months ago

This is a stupid policy that will create more problems than it will solve. It does nothing to encourage or expedite recycling or reduction of trash.

snitty 2 years, 4 months ago

It's a one-size-fits-all approach that is going to be forced on people with the full gamut of differences, many who's amount of trash doesn't justify changing from the containers they now use, particularly if they already recycle. The city will now be in the container business, on into the future. A 'no exceptions' policy means that many folks will be unhappy. Further, it encourages indiscriminate dumping rather than sorting. Even if sorted trash cannot all be recycled, at least it isn't all senselessly tumbled together, polluting hundreds of acres of landfill.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 4 months ago

Chad, that was a speedy response. That's excellent. Thank you!

Chrissy Neibarger 2 years, 4 months ago

Where to those that already have the carts fall into these categories? Do we still get the decreased rate? I believe that I currently have to pay for this cart that I use.

Getaroom 2 years, 4 months ago

So much for all the talk about Tyranny in the blog (must have taken some hot air out of a lot of wind bags). Smaller containers went down in cost, 65 gallon stayed the same, and super sized went up a buck. Oh my god, big gov is swallowing you!!! Jeeez!!!! Get over it already and put your trash out in the city's containers. Choose one the three sizes and move on! You too 'fleeba', quit squirming and get with the program, save the backs of the workers.

paulveer 2 years, 4 months ago

The backs of the workers would be saved simply by strictly enforcing the existing weight limit for trash left at the curb. This really is a non-issue regarding the carts, and the commission has been disingenuous is presenting this to the public.

reasonablevoice 2 years, 4 months ago

I believe fleeba was asking why they should have to use a new cart that the city provides, when they already have one that is compatible with the mechanical arms that will "save the backs of the workers". Wouldn't it save the city money if we already have these carts? And what do we do with the carts when we are not going to be allowed to use them?

mac 2 years, 4 months ago

Since these will now visually 'brand' our town, what do these carts look like?

somedude20 2 years, 4 months ago

People will start dumping more trash in apartment complexe trash bins. I know the ones where I live are well loved by dumpers, especially construction bums. I also see cats who live in houses dump their crap in em as well (guess they want to look green to their neighbors by not putting out as much trash).

Stand your dumpers... that is what I say

somedude20 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh I do, and people are THAT cheap. 95 gallons is not that much for some. Dude has truck bed filled with construction garbage, does he a) drive it to his place to dump taking up the 95 gallons, b) take it to a legit dump and pay to leave or c) already loaded in truck ready to dump and bam, it is in my dumpster

fan4kufootball 2 years, 4 months ago

In theory the carts make sense but in reality I am not so sure. After they are emptied by the trash department then they get blown away, ran into by cars, etc. Not everyone is home to take them right back in (if they have a garage) before they are blown away and possibly ran into by traffic. Lastly, if the homeowner does not have a garage then the carts sit outside and can be unsightly for their neighbors and sometimes even have a stinky odor if trash had spilled inside the container.

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

How is that any different from the current trash cans we're using?

sunchaser 2 years, 4 months ago

I guess I'm lucky, my cart has never blown over and if something has spilled inside, use a hose to clean it out!

patkindle 2 years, 4 months ago

the town my brother lives in has mandatory trash carts, plus the trash you put inside has to be bagged, not loose, no mess, no stink, you can use them as a wash tub or brewing vat after trash day, woo woo

asixbury 2 years, 4 months ago

Every city I lived in until Lawrence had city-provided trash carts. This is not a new phenomenon, and not that big of a deal.

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 4 months ago

The way I see it , if it don't fit toss it by your neighbors. Lol

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

Why don't you call the city and ask them?

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

You can keep them and use them for yard waste if you like, or other things.

Or, you could get rid of them, if you don't need them.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

I suggest tossing it in Cromwell's front yard.

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

Ask whomever you bought the trash cans from, and/or some of the recycling places in town.

You're asking the wrong people for information.

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

Will they be laying off at least one garbageman per truck since he is no longer needed?

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

They say they're reducing the workforce through attrition, not layoffs.

paulveer 2 years, 4 months ago

Still, local jobs are going to equipment bought somewhere else. Money is leaving the community.
Also, how much longer will that polluting truck sit in front of my house while a worker aligns the cart with the truck, activates the lift, waits while the lift deposits the trash in the truck , lowers the cart back down, and then the worker replaces my cart at the curb? Two workers plus a lift will take longer at every single stop on the route, causing more pollution, and creating a demand for more routes, trucks, and workers. By the way, there is an existing weight limit for containers placed at the curb, which is routinely ignored by both the public and the workers. Strict enforcement of this rule would be a much more cost-effective way to deal with this (non-) issue.

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree that environmental concerns are valid - I'm appalled at the low mileage city vehicles get, including buses.

Not sure that enforcement of existing weight limits would solve the problem.

Chris Ogle 2 years, 4 months ago

4 sail ...cheep: one pre-owned trash can...all steel, no wheels

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

The first time someone goes into the ocean with it, the salt water is going to make it corrode. I hope its reel cheep.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

I can't wait to see how the city follows through on its promise to provide better service for less cost while at the same time purchasing millions in new trucks and trash carts. I expect my garbage bill to go up no more than inflation during the next 10 years based on what the city is telling me.

patkindle 2 years, 4 months ago

crikey guys, the city didnt even spend a milion bucks of your money whats the big deal, it is just money, and if they put it to a vote, you would jump on it like a duck on a june bug, you have proved that with the vote on T and library , and now the homeless center woo woo, can we spend your money , any time our city, can spend out money, to do more for us, we thnk that is peachy, big brother is not only watching you, he is hauling off your money and trash, ha ha ha ha ha

satie 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh, would I love to dump these idiot city "commissioners" into a hot filthy dumpster and slam it shut. Who would know the difference? Every one of them stink to high heaven, damned old hippies. This town is starting to suck big time.

Sylvie Rueff 2 years, 4 months ago

So, how does this relate to yard waste/clippings?

Meatwad 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad. I was going to get one of those eventually anyway.