To the editor:
When was the last time your health insurance company sent you a letter that was anything other than a denial of coverage or a notice of premium increase? Thought so.
Over the past six years, my health insurance cost increased from $350 per month to $850 per month. The last time I had a major medical expense, it was denied as not covered. It was, but it took me over eight months to get my reimbursement.
Last week I had a surreal moment. I got a letter from the insurance company. I started grumbling as I opened it, expecting yet another rate increase. I was astounded to find it contained a rebate for a portion of my premiums paid the previous year!
How did this amazing turn of events occur? The Affordable Health Care for America Act, derided by the right as “Obamacare,” includes a provision, called the 80-20 rule, which requires that health insurers spend at least 80 percent of their customers’ premiums on health services, leaving no more than 20 percent for administrative costs and advertising. What a concept!
The AHCAA also requires insurers to end the practices of canceling policies when the insured becomes ill or denying coverage for pre-existing conditions. In exchange, everyone must have insurance. That protects the rest of us from those that would just rely on us to pay their bills through our taxes. Why on earth would anyone think these are bad ideas? Repeal this law? Are you nuts?