Archive for Friday, August 10, 2012

Drought taking its toll in Kansas; Brownback warns Kansans against outdoor burning

August 10, 2012

— The drought has become so severe that Gov. Sam Brownback on Friday warned Kansans against lighting outdoor fires.

"This is a powder keg situation," Brownback said as he convened a meeting to gather information and come up with ideas to help Kansans affected by the drought.

Kansas Agriculture Secretary Dale Rodman said the drought was devastating. "If you analyze this thing, we are in a major disaster," Rodman said. He added, "We are basically in a constant tornado and we don't see the end of it."

All 105 Kansas counties are covered by a drought disaster declaration and 68, including Douglas County, have imposed bans on outside burning.

In addition to state officials, Brownback gathered ranchers, firefighters, and city officials on the front lines of dealing with the drought to talk about the toll the drought is taking and identify ways to cope with it.

One rancher at the meeting suggested a statewide burn ban, but later Brownback said he would rather local officials make the call on whether to ban outdoor burning in their own areas.

Brownback said he'll also look into harvesting grass along state highway right of ways and at Cedar Crest, his official residence, to provide forage for livestock producers whose supplies are short.

The dry conditions have led to more wildfires, water restrictions, devastated crops, shutdown ethanol plants. Ranchers said the drought is causing a shortage of feed for livestock, which is increasing their costs.

Jerry McReynolds of Woodston, who is chairman of the State Board of Agriculture, said the those increased costs will eventually appear at the supermarket. "This is a feed issue. It will become a food issue," he said.

The state has launched a website, www.Drought.ks.gov, to provide a resource on drought information.

State Climatologist Mary Knapp said Kansas is in the center of an extreme drought that covers much of the country. Knapp said it may take years of average rainfall amounts to get back to normal.

Comments

Ragingbear 2 years ago

New Headline: Brownback states obvious, quotes standard government warnings. Local newspapers claim this is news. Film at 11:00.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years ago

But that ban doesn't include the burning of coal. Sam will happily burn ever more coal, insuring that future summers are even hotter and drier (interspersed by ever-so-quenching 100-year-floods every other year, which used to be classified as 500-year floods.)

jjinks 2 years ago

Have you ever tried NOT showing your ignorance? BOZO!

Trucker_Todd 2 years ago

Def. a good call from the governor. I am a bit concerned for cedar crest. Having that many piles of books laying around until rain relief comes has to be unnerving.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years ago

The Day I Read a Book (by Jimmy Durante)

There's one day that I recall, though it was years ago.

All my life I will remember it, I know.

I'll never forget the day I read a book.

It was contagious, seventy pages.

There were pictures here and there,

So it wasn't hard to bear,

The day I read a book.

It's a shame I don't recall the name of the book.

It wasn't a history. I know because it had no plot.

It wasn't a mystery, because nobody there got shot.

The day I read a book ? I can't remember when,

But one o' these days, I'm gonna do it again.

SPOKEN: Ah, lit'rature! There's nothin' like sittin' home...

headdoctor 2 years ago

First off I figured he would order those attending the meeting to pray for rain. I suppose if there is Federal disaster aid Governor Sam will refuse it except for any that may be applicable to farmers. He wouldn't want his family to miss out on that.

davidmcg 2 years ago

that link doesn't work

Michael LoBurgio 2 years ago

headdoctor the brownbackward family is already taken care of when your talking about federal farm subsidies.

Individual Subsidy Recipients 1 to 18 of 18 in Kansas Last Name: BROWNBACK

Sam Brownback Topeka, KS 66610 $ 48,852.00

tomatogrower 2 years ago

He wants to be just like Texas. Do you suppose God is trying to tell him something? Where are those televangelists now? They said Katrina was New Orleans' punishment.

Phillbert 2 years ago

This drought is just a hoax perpetrated by scientists so they can get bigger research grants.

And I don't like Big Gummit telling me what to do. If I want to set a fire that ends up burning down my neighbor's house then by damn I'm going to because it's my right as a 'Merican.