Archive for Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Severe thunderstorm warning canceled; watch remains in effect

August 8, 2012, 5:08 p.m. Updated August 8, 2012, 8:03 p.m.

UPDATE, 7:59: The severe thunderstorm warning has been canceled. The original watch remains in effect until 1 a.m.

UPDATE, 7:34: The area is now under a severe thunderstorm warning until 8 p.m.

The National Weather Services reports quarter-sized hail and wind gusts up to 60 mph may affect areas near Clinton Lake, and Clinton, Lone Star and Globe townships. A severe thunderstorm near Richland, in Shawnee County, produced hail, strong winds and damaged tree limbs.

ORIGINAL STORY:

The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm watch for Douglas County. It expires at 1 a.m. Thursday.

Also included in the watch are Franklin, Jefferson, Johnson, Leavenworth and Shawnee counties.

Interactive map

Live weather radar from Weather.com

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

Comments

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

Another New Mexico style thunderstorm here: much lightning, 10 drops on a brick. At least it has cooled off. I'm watching the rerun of THE WAR. I'm reminded that my father was a great fibber: "I didn't do anything in the war."

RoeDapple 1 year, 8 months ago

CyberKnight (anonymous) says… "I think that if you think the guy is gone, you are dreaming. I'd be keeping my head down." March 9, 2010 at 7:44 p.m."

rockchalker52 1 year, 8 months ago

What am I, The Dave Matthews Band?

Rain to the north of me, storms to the south. Here I am, stuck in the middle again.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 8 months ago

Even if it is just a sprinkle, the rain heals the psyche, and makes you feel less like Job.

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

Thanks, R_I. I know exactly where Globe is. In fact, I was through there today. HWMNBN still haunts these boards after what, two years? He must be proud -even if not germane anymore.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 1 year, 8 months ago

river,
"The National Weather Services reports quarter-sized hail and wind gusts up to 60 mph may affect areas near Clinton Lake, and Clinton, Lone Star and Globe in Clinton and Marion townships."

Since it is against LJWorld.com policy to use the word Marion in a post, the staff writer must have cut it and a bit too much out of the NWS report just trying to abide by policy.

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

Not a drop far. Rain? Lighting? I'm going to go out and hold a one iron over my head. And let me know if you know where "Globe township" is.

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago