Archive for Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Orchards Golf Course for sale

August 8, 2012

A Lawrence executive par-three golf course on Bob Billings Parkway is for sale.

Ed White, the current owner of the nine-hole Orchards Golf Course at 3000 Bob Billings Parkway, said a conservation easement is on the property, so a new owner would need to either operate the land as a golf course or maintain it as green space.

Carter Goldsberry, golf course broker for eGolfBrokerage.com, confirmed that the course with its clubhouse and equipment is for sale but would not disclose the asking price.

Comments

JackMcKee 1 year, 8 months ago

My guess is you can have the place for $50,000. Maybe all you Orchards fans should pool your money and buy it. Then you can have your own private little piece of golf course nirvana.

Here are some other ideas for the property:

-turn it into a petting zoo.

-Putt-Putt or Cool Crest (as previously mentioned).

-Paintball battle zone

-Community garden

-Outdoor fitness club

-Amateur rocketry testing area

-Urban assault police training facility

-movie set

Please send my cut to JackMcKee c/o LJW Online.

thanks.

JackMcKee 1 year, 8 months ago

Actually a putt-putt would fit in much better in that neighborhood. It's the student ghetto West.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 8 months ago

Turn it into a putt putt open until 10 pm at nite

kufan1146 1 year, 8 months ago

You all really shouldn't rip on Orchards so much. No, it's not the nicest golf course in the world. It isn't perfect and it could use some work.

But it's not expensive and it's a great way to learn how to play. I wouldn't be playing golf occasionally now if it weren't for the $10 it costs to play Orchards - I can actually afford that, in comparison to the $50+ of other courses.

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 8 months ago

No smart developers or they would get majority ownership of the condos to the east and have thegolfcourse as an amenity. And turn that condo complexinto a retirement community w/golf course andublic pays to play. oR. turn. Thecourseinto a putt putt. Now we will find thatthecity will buy theproperty.

Andini 1 year, 8 months ago

It was a nice course when it was owned and ran by Alvamar and while I owned and lived in West Meadows Coniminiums off of hole 1, It's definitely gone downhill since it was sold the first time.

JackMcKee 1 year, 8 months ago

A conservation easement? That's some funny stuff right there. That's also the worst golf course I've ever played. It needs a windmill on 18. A free game to anyone that sinks the putt!!!!! What would possess anyone to buy that goat pasture? I'd be shocked if it operates in the black.

It might be worth something if you could develop it, which would also be funny considering the houses that line that course. "Mom, someone has a huge bulldozer out and they're digging huge holes on the golf course"

Maybe they can find a flaw in the easement. That would be the only way I'd buy that place.

John Hampton 1 year, 8 months ago

If you are in the market I bet you could get them to disclose the asking price to you.

irvan moore 1 year, 8 months ago

how do you sell something if you don't disclose the price

CWGOKU 1 year, 8 months ago

I played there all the time when I was in school. Nice little course. More fun than going to class and I had the grades to prove that.

cheeseburger 1 year, 8 months ago

Is it still called a par-three course even though par on some of the holes is not three?