Archive for Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Orchards Golf Course for sale

August 8, 2012

A Lawrence executive par-three golf course on Bob Billings Parkway is for sale.

Ed White, the current owner of the nine-hole Orchards Golf Course at 3000 Bob Billings Parkway, said a conservation easement is on the property, so a new owner would need to either operate the land as a golf course or maintain it as green space.

Carter Goldsberry, golf course broker for eGolfBrokerage.com, confirmed that the course with its clubhouse and equipment is for sale but would not disclose the asking price.

Comments

irvan moore 2 years, 4 months ago

how do you sell something if you don't disclose the price

John Hampton 2 years, 4 months ago

If you are in the market I bet you could get them to disclose the asking price to you.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

A conservation easement? That's some funny stuff right there. That's also the worst golf course I've ever played. It needs a windmill on 18. A free game to anyone that sinks the putt!!!!! What would possess anyone to buy that goat pasture? I'd be shocked if it operates in the black.

It might be worth something if you could develop it, which would also be funny considering the houses that line that course. "Mom, someone has a huge bulldozer out and they're digging huge holes on the golf course"

Maybe they can find a flaw in the easement. That would be the only way I'd buy that place.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 4 months ago

" It needs a windmill on 18. A free game to anyone that sinks the putt!!!!"

You sound like you're disparaging Cool Crest, and that, my friend, may get you a well deserved thumping.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

I suppose you could also use it as a "green space" for a paintball range.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 4 months ago

"last time I looked it was an 9 hole par 3."

That sounds like an inappropriate personal problem.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

That's right, so put the windmill on 9.

The reason I suggested looking for a flaw in the easement was to defeat it. I think that would would be pretty funny, actually. Most of those homes don't belong on a golf course in the first place.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

Go take a spin around Alavamar, Falcon Ridge or any other decent golf course in America and you'll undertand.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

At least they can afford to paint and maintain their homes, for the most part.

jesse499 2 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like one of those oldtime country club guys that thinks he better then everyone else AKA (M- S--- D---- S----)

jesse499 2 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like one one those oldtime coutry club guys that thinks he's a little better then everyone else AKA ( m- s--- d---- s----)

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey, take it easy here, people. I would never belong to any club that would have me as a member. And I hate broken windows, so I wouldn't bother to live on a golf course.

kueddie 2 years, 3 months ago

It appears Jack that you at sometime where not allowed back on the course and this is your venting. So vent away! Based upon your previous blogs I am totally surprised you even knew how to spell Conservation Easement much less than know what it is.

kufan1146 2 years, 4 months ago

You all really shouldn't rip on Orchards so much. No, it's not the nicest golf course in the world. It isn't perfect and it could use some work.

But it's not expensive and it's a great way to learn how to play. I wouldn't be playing golf occasionally now if it weren't for the $10 it costs to play Orchards - I can actually afford that, in comparison to the $50+ of other courses.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

If you think that's a golf course you don't have any business commenting on anyone else's intelligence.

pills4profit 2 years, 4 months ago

FYI, you can play Alvamar for $20-25 with a cart right now (18 holes, not 9). And I am pretty sure Eagle Bend is just as cheap. Also, if your looking for an inexpensive way to play golf in surrounding areas check out the website golfnow.com

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

That's a much better deal than the Orchards goat farm. Whatever they're charging is too much.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

Orchards is a pitiful golf course. If it qualifies as a golf course, the field behind my house is St. Andrews. Every time I play that course my game actually gets worse. If you learn on Orchards, you're learning something, but it's not golf.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

Actually a putt-putt would fit in much better in that neighborhood. It's the student ghetto West.

JackMcKee 2 years, 4 months ago

My guess is you can have the place for $50,000. Maybe all you Orchards fans should pool your money and buy it. Then you can have your own private little piece of golf course nirvana.

Here are some other ideas for the property:

-turn it into a petting zoo.

-Putt-Putt or Cool Crest (as previously mentioned).

-Paintball battle zone

-Community garden

-Outdoor fitness club

-Amateur rocketry testing area

-Urban assault police training facility

-movie set

Please send my cut to JackMcKee c/o LJW Online.

thanks.