Archive for Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Alumni couple give $1 million to KU law school

August 8, 2012

A San Francisco alumni couple has donated $1 million to support scholarships and classroom renovations at the Kansas University School of Law.

Lydia Beebe and Chuck Doyle each earned two degrees from KU. Beebe earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism in 1974 and her law degree in 1977. Doyle earned a bachelor’s degree in accounting from KU in 1975 and a law degree in 1978.

“My husband and I felt like our education enabled us to have the lives that we have,” said Beebe, who works as corporate secretary and chief governance officer of Chevron Corp.

Doyle held management positions with United Airlines, where he worked from 1985 until his retirement in 2007.

Beebe’s parents, brother and brother-in-law graduated from KU Law. Beebe is serving on the law school’s advisory board for KU’s comprehensive fundraising campaign, Far Above: The Campaign for Kansas.

“That’s really what inspired us to do this now, at this point in our lives,” Beebe said. “As government resources get harder and harder to come by, it’s more important for schools to build their endowments and really stay competitive.”

Stephen Mazza, dean of KU’s law school, said he appreciated the gift, which fits in with the school’s fundraising priorities.

“What it allows us to do is attract and retain the types of law students that we want to come to KU,” he said. “Other law schools are being very generous with their scholarship dollars, and we’ve got to step up and provide comparable scholarship support.”

All of the couple’s gift will be spent on scholarships except for $45,000 that will be devoted to renovating classrooms.

Mazza said the law school was anticipating the announcement of several more major gifts in the coming months. He said private support allowed KU to move much more quickly toward its goals.

“We just want to accelerate the progression of KU,” he said.

Comments

uglyrumor 2 years, 3 months ago

Would this money have been better spent helping the poor or feeding the hungry? I guess then you wouldn't get your name splattered all over campus.

Mollie New Leaf 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow, how negative of you. They gave their money where they wanted to, just as you can give your money where you want to.

Liberty275 2 years, 3 months ago

That is the mindset. To them, it is their right to tell other people how to spend their money. That is what America has become.

Fossick 2 years, 3 months ago

It's a quote from Judas Iscariot: "Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him, Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?" John 12:4-5 (KJV)

Fossick 2 years, 3 months ago

That is the very definition of "paying it forward."

As Ben Franklin wrote many years ago, "I do not pretend to give such a sum; I only lend it to you. When you meet with another honest man in similar distress, you must pay me by lending this sum to him, enjoining him to discharge the debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands before it meets with a knave that will stop its progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money."

Thank you both for your generous loan to the future. May it do a great deal of good before some knave lays ahold of it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

"Beebe, who works as corporate secretary and chief governance officer of Chevron Corp."

Chevron has a rather extensive list of human rights violations and support for despotic governments around the world. Maybe her next contribution should be towards a bit of restitution for the blood that's on the wealth she's accumulated.

That would really be paying it forward.

jaywalker 2 years, 3 months ago

For all that's good and Holy, get a life, bozo.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

Chevron has been ranked as the second-worst criminal corporation for 2012.

Scroll down a ways to see just how hideous they have been, for quite some time.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

Is the blood on her hands any worse than the blood on your own? As an American, don't you bear responsibility for all the wrongs committed on your behalf?

Your hands are equally bloody, unless of course you take a principled stance. Unless you retreat to Walden, and refuse to pay your taxes that support unjust wars. Unless you suffer the consequences of your principles. Unless you serve yourself before the government and go to jail for your principles. Unless you do those things, your hands remain equally bloody.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

There's some truth in what you say, but the reality is, I have very little control over what this government does, and while I do protest consistently against many of its actions, going to jail would have no effect on what they do or don't do.

And I certainly don't profit very much from those actions-- not enough to be able to donate $1 million to my alma mater, at any rate.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

Ask 95% of the world's population and they will tell you you profit greatly for being an American. Yes, you are in that top 5%. Having established that, you're now going to argue that it's the top 1% or top 2%, but not you. If that makes you feel better. But from my vantage point, I'd respect your position much more if you refused to pay taxes and went to jail instead. I might not agree with your position, but I'd respect it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

Or you could just tell me to shut up about pointing out inconvenient truths.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

As far as we know, her complicity with "crimes against humanity" (would that be a fair characterization of your comments above about blood?), her complicity is no more and no less than your complicity in crimes the U.S. has done in your name and that you have benefitted from. You've made some incredibly broad generalizations, as have I in retort. If there is an inconvenient truth, there are two. You pointed out one, I pointed out the other.

No, I don't want you to shut up. As I assume you don't want me to shut up.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

The inconvenient truth is that there are two inconvenient truths. One which you pointed out and one that I pointed out. You are equally guilty as she. She as guilty as you. You painted with an awfully wide brush, as did I.

No, I am not at asking you to shut up. Hopefully, you'll not ask that of me.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

Sorry to repeat myself. But as you said elsewhere, this site is acting weird.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

The US population likely did benefit from some of the actions of Chevron-- the destruction of the Ecuadoran rainforest and the poisoning of thousands of its inhabitants; the murders of environmental protestors in Nigeria. Are you saying that because I'm an American, I have no right to protest against those actions?

Or perhaps you believe the only legitimate means of protest are those that land me in jail?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

What you're doing is lumping all Chevron workers into one large group. She may have been the one voice in the board room trying to get Chevron to behave better. Also, you're neglecting whatever good Chevron has done. Without all that oil, farmers here wouldn't be able to feed the world, and yes, they do feed many hungry mouths around the world.

What I did was lump you together with all the evils done in the name of America. And you didn't like it. Maybe she doesn't like it either. Maybe we should all be a bit more polite to each other, especially when the emphasis of the article is a charitable gift being made to a school.

patkindle 2 years, 3 months ago

ugly rumor is welcomed to donate a buttload of money to the homeless and hungry it is no one elses business what he does with HIS money

and we shold not be concerned

jaywalker 2 years, 3 months ago

Saw the headline and just knew there had to be a couple misanthropes on here spilling their bile. How unbelievably pathetic.

JackMcKee 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you to this nice couple for their donation. It will be greatly appreciated. I hope they don't read these comments. How embarrassing.

Patricia Davis 2 years, 3 months ago

Lovely idea and history with KU. Thank you for your generous heart and your generous gift.

Dani Davey 2 years, 3 months ago

This is awesome! As a recent KU Law alum, thank you to Ms. Beebe and Mr. Doyle! And good work Dean Mazza, can't wait to hear the other soon-to-come announcements!

always_correct 2 years, 3 months ago

What? It will go into the endowment. The return a couple years ago was 20%. Typically, 5% of that endowment is spent per year and the remainder is returned into the fund.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

I hear Bernie Madoff wants to make a contribution, too.

bevy 2 years, 3 months ago

For all the whiners and haters on this thread, consider this: Perhaps their generous gift will enable a student from a low-income family who might not have had the chance otherwise, to fulfill the dream of finishing law school. Perhaps it will help to educate some lawyers who will then go to work representing the poor and underprivileged. Good can be done in a multitude of ways, not all of them immediately obvious. More importantly, they chose to send their money back here, to Kansas, not to some school nearer to where they have built their lives and careers post-KU. Good for them!

Looks like there are a lot of cranky posters on the boards today. Maybe ya'll should have some graham crackers and milk and take a nice nap this afternoon. Almost always works for my whiny toddler.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

I have no problem with their giving the money to the law school. But that doesn't mean that it can't be pointed out that the money being given has a certain taint to it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

It isn't the spending I'm concerned about-- it's the way it was earned.

purplesage 2 years, 3 months ago

Good one. Andrew Lloyd Weber didn't write Scripute, by the way.

Still, I have really mixed feelings about huge endowments that become self-replenishing and not benefitting of helping average folks have a better life - or, maybe more precisely, a chance at a better life. On the other hand, i have no idea what KU Law will do with another million bucks. Will they scholarship aspiring lawyers who don't have wealthy parents to bankroll their education?

sleepy33 2 years, 3 months ago

Nah, he just gave it a good beat you could dance to!

MarcoPogo 2 years, 3 months ago

"I have really mixed feelings about huge endowments"

Would an IROC make you feel better?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

You're more coherent that usual in your last few posts, bozo. Still bucking for that Order of Lenin?