Archive for Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Two home invasions reported early Tuesday; police look at links to previous burglaries

August 7, 2012

Lawrence police said two aggravated burglaries in which suspects forced their way into two Lawrence homes were reported early Tuesday morning.

Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokeswoman, said the first was reported at 4:30 a.m. in the 1800 block of Illinois Street when a male resident reported he was asleep in his room when someone turned his light on.

He saw a black man in his 20s with an average build. The suspect fled, and police did not find him.

Murphree said entry into the home was probably made through a rear door because there were signs of forced entry.

The second one was reported about 5:30 a.m. in the 900 block of Maine Street. An 84-year-old woman was asleep when a door to her home was forced open. She turned on the lights and called 911. The suspect ran away before police arrived.

Nothing was taken.

Police have arrested two men since June in connection with burglaries in which a suspect has entered people’s homes, and investigators are working to solve dozens of other similar burglaries. In most cases, the suspect entered homes through unlocked or unsecured doors, rather than forcing their way inside, which was the case with the two most recent ones.

Murphree said she could not comment on whether Tuesday’s burglaries matched any past cases because police were still investigating the recent ones.

Comments

middlemgmt 2 years, 4 months ago

I guess that answers my question on if the previous arrest took care of this problem. I guess the police have their hands full!

somebodynew 2 years, 4 months ago

There are lots of 'bad guys' out there. From what is reported, these sound different than the other ones to me.

joes_donuts 2 years, 4 months ago

Good thing the police have a bar car with 4 officers (28% of the on duty officers) making sure 20 yr old college girls are not drinking downtown. These robbery suspects are no where near as as dangerous as a college girl in high heels...

Jayhawker07 2 years, 4 months ago

Joe, all good boys and girls are home @ 4:30am. Not you I guess. What's your address?

joes_donuts 2 years, 4 months ago

Jayhawker07,

It is not about times, it is about priorities. Ask the police department what their #1 priority is. I don't know what answer they will tell you, but when you have 28% of your on-duty force chasing underage college girls, I think the LPD's priorities have gotten out of whack. Sure underage drinking is a problem, and has been for over 100 yrs. But our department could do more for the citizens of Lawrence by going after the drunk drivers than minors. I find it amazing that you cannot find parking downtown after 11 pm, but at 3 am the entire downtown is empty. And then when you look at the police records, not a single person is arrested for drunk driving. You would be hard pressed to find one sober person in most bars, yet the LPD doesn't bother checking for drunk drivers leaving downtown?

Jayhawker07 2 years, 4 months ago

If the bars were better on checking ID's than cash going in the drawer, there would not be a problem. Unfortunately we all know that is not the case. Also if you check the records regularly you will see underage drivers getting DUI's all the time. So your point to me is still invalid. As far as the cars on Mass. I would bet alot of them are employees of the establishments, safer except during march maddness.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 4 months ago

" I find it amazing that you cannot find parking downtown after 11 pm, but at 3 am the entire downtown is empty. And then when you look at the police records, not a single person is arrested for drunk driving."

I don't know which police records you are looking at because there is almost always a DUI or two in the Douglas County records every day.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 4 months ago

These are forced entry robberies, a bit more serious then unlocked door robberies.

somedude20 2 years, 4 months ago

Stop or my Mom will shoot (shout out to all ya'll who still lives with yo parents)

gphawk89 2 years, 4 months ago

Sooner or later this burglar is going to pick the wrong house. Boom! No more burglar. Hope the guy has sense enough to stop while he's ahead. Probably not, though - who in their right mind would walk into an occupied bedroom and turn the light on?

Which reminds me, the gun shop left a message today that my new AR has arrived. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to get comfortable with that under my pillow.

50YearResident 2 years, 4 months ago

These home invasion perps must have a death wish, ot they are trying to divert attention from their friend that got. arrested. Howerer each new home invasion makes it more likely that the next one will be a fatal incounter. It's only a matter of time and the odds are aginst the invader making a sucessful exit from the home without being shot. It will happen, get prepared for the results.

msezdsit 2 years, 4 months ago

Yep, if you want to get shot, break into someones home or you could just start an altercation with a police officer and they will oblige you as soon as they think their life is in danger. If an idiot wants to add thrill to a heaping helping of stupid, the result may just be one dead idiot.

rockchalker52 2 years, 4 months ago

Yup. Somebodies gonna get shot. I hope it's the bad guys.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 4 months ago

This liberal villager is prepared to protect his family above all else. You enter my home uninvited armed or not I will perceive you as a fatal threat and respond accordingly.