Archive for Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Federal prosecutors charge Eudora woman with illegally receiving some disability benefits

August 7, 2012

Federal prosecutors have filed a felony charge of making a false statement against a Eudora woman, alleging she told the Social Security Administration in 2007 that her husband did not live with her even though he did.

According to a complaint filed Monday against Sheery Lynn Regalado, prosecutors allege she received about $61,000 in disability benefits during 11 years that she was not eligible to receive because she concealed her living arrangement.

Regalado began receiving disability payments in 1992, and in August 2000 she reported her husband, who was not named in the complaint, no longer lived at her Eudora home and that he did not pay rent or provide money for utilities. She also filled out a Social Security survey in 2007 reporting her husband no longer lived with her.

Prosecutors said Social Security investigators need to know the number of residents living in a household and the income available to determine the monthly amount a recipient is eligible to receive.

Investigators later received records that her husband had been employed at Kansas University since 1995 and the only residence he reported on his employment documents was the one he shared with his wife.

Investigators also discovered the couple’s joint bank account where his paychecks were sent. She also deposited her benefit checks into the account.

The complaint alleges that in a July 2011 interview, Sheery Regalado admitted to sharing a bank account with her husband, handling the couple’s finances and acknowledging she “failed to accurately notify SSA of her husband’s additional income that she had access to, as well as the fact that her husband resided with her in Eudora.”

If convicted Regalado faces a maximum of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Comments

08Champs 1 year, 11 months ago

Unfortunately, she probably won't get any jail time, and there will be little if any restitution. And she won't get cut off from benefits, just reduced to the "appropriate" level. This isn't a dem/repub issue either - the government is not set up to police the fraud on a meaningful level.

kernal 1 year, 11 months ago

Would cost more to lock them up.

somedude20 1 year, 11 months ago

People like this make me sick! Take, take, take,take even though they do not rate what they are taking (husband works and adds to bills) and it comes at the expense of others. What was her disability? Dollars to doughnuts, she is able to work but once you get a taste of that money, "wellllll doggies," there aint no turning back. There are many who really need help and I understand that as a society, we help those who need it but we also punish those who break the law (unless you are rich)

many times, those who take the most, gave the least

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

No way is someone going to buy liquor or tobacco on a food stamp card. The computer will reject it. I know that because I have a card and I have to use it first and it automatically pays for the food and then the check out person tells me how much I owe in cash for the other items. This sign is false and an attempt to fool people.

somedude20 1 year, 11 months ago

I typed in "welfare abuse" in Google and clicked on images and found it. I did nothing to it.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

I think someone created the sign as a joke. Sorry, I did not mean to say that you did it, but I can see how it would come across that way.

Loretta James 1 year, 11 months ago

if you get cash it all comes on the vision card if you have cash left on it you can buy cigs And beer. Its a shame but thats how it is i have a cousin who works for walmart she said they always come n their and buy 200.00 worth of junk food no meat, fruits or veggies. life dont like it but nothing u can do about it

Currahee 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually when you apply for disability they look at your medical records. Its not like you apply and get approved after waiting three months and saying you are disabled. This was probably just an administrative oversight a.d shame on her for taking public dollars like that.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Also she will have to pay back the amount she was not entitled to have. When I was waiting for my disability benefits to come though I had to take tanf for a year and they took that out of what I was entitled to as it took me four years to get approved. The fees for the lawyer at Independence, Inc. also came out before I received any money so I have no idea how people work these kind of things.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

I am suprised at some of you. Looks like everyone but frankie8 took a conservative position on this. Shame, Shame, Shame.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

Wasn't my plan but I will. Most moochers, in fact all moochers I know lean democratic.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 11 months ago

Yea, but you lead a very narrow/blinkered life.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

I live my life just fine Bozo. You see, I have a job and don't continually look over my shoulder for someone to blame for my problems.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 11 months ago

" and don't continually look over my shoulder for someone to blame for my problems."

Wow, are you deluded, as your posts here indicate that that's about all you do.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 11 months ago

Yet people who have made millions since Obama was in office hate him. Wall St. dislikes him and the S&P 500 is up 14% YTD.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 11 months ago

Too bad she isn't a Wall Street Banker/Investor, able to give 5- figure campaign contributions to both Obama and Romney. Her fraudulent take would have been at least 100 times higher, and there'd be no consideration of prosecution.

Flap Doodle 1 year, 11 months ago

If she were only an illegal alien who was related to the current occupant of 1600 Penn. Ave, she'd have it made!

workinghard 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually, if you google her name, you will find she is quite active online as wiccagranny. So you can probably assume she posts on here as well.

sherbert 1 year, 11 months ago

Unfortunately, this type of social service fraud is extremely widespread. They do need give serious penalty's to discourage people from so easily taking advantage. It's the same as stealing.

jafs 1 year, 11 months ago

If she needs help of certain kinds, perhaps the government thinks he can help her if he lives there, and thus they can provide less assistance.

Hoots 1 year, 11 months ago

I've known several people over the years that made large sums of money on the side they did't report to the government. In most of the cases the people were no longer disabled but keep milking the system. Just one of the many reasons we're going broke.