Archive for Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Installation of cable median barrier to begin next week on K-10

August 7, 2012

Construction is scheduled to begin Monday on two sections of a new cable median barrier on Kansas Highway 10 east of Lawrence, the Kansas Department of Transportation announced Tuesday.

KDOT in July selected Gray Beal Construction Co. of Topeka for the $1.15 million project that was prompted by a fatal collision in April 2011. Five-year-old Cainan Shutt was killed when an impaired driver near Eudora crossed the median and struck the minivan driven by Cainan’s grandfather.

The project involves installing cable on a 2.3-mile stretch just west of the Church Street exit and a 2-mile section on both sides of the Kansas Highway 7 interchange in Johnson County.

Crews will work on the project during daylight hours Monday through Friday with occasional work on Saturdays. Beginning Monday, the shoulders on both sides of K-10 medians will be closed through the work zone, and there will also be occasional daily lane closures on K-10.

“There will be no lane-width restrictions, and a 60 mph speed limit will be posted through the work zone throughout the project duration,” KDOT said.

Message boards will alert drivers to any lane closures in the project, and drivers should expect minor delays during peak commuting hours.

The project is scheduled to be complete in mid-December, weather permitting.

Comments

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 4 months ago

Yeah... something else we can't afford and really don't need.

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 4 months ago

Come on, it'll save life's. and who knows it maybe yours someday.

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh there are going to be some crabby commuters if they have to slow to 60mph on K-10 from now unitl mid-December!

jhawkinsf 2 years, 4 months ago

And then they can speed back up just when the snow and ice comes?

justforfun 2 years, 4 months ago

Sorry if you have lost someone you knew. However, to say K-10 is a very dangerous highway to me is sorta like saying guns are dangerous. It's not the cars or the guns it's the operators. Sorry, just my opinion. .

Jean Robart 2 years, 4 months ago

I think of it as being dangerous in its boredom factor--no hills, no turns, flat road and little to break the view. You can easily get highway hypnosis on this road. It's about time the cable barrier was put in place. I'll go back to using K10 instead of the turnpike.

gccs14r 2 years, 4 months ago

Highway hypnosis on 10? One, it's not a long enough road to zone out on , and two, it has hills and curves. If you can't stay focused on driving for 30 minutes to make it from Lawrence to Kansas City, you probably shouldn't drive at all.

For boring, I present I-29 north of Sioux Falls all the way up to Canada.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 4 months ago

" bullet proof vets "

Starring Chuck Norris, Tom Sizemore, and Martin Sheen.

hipper_than_hip 2 years, 4 months ago

David Albertson 2 years, 4 months ago

They need to install cables the entire length of K10. The KSHP should also step up patrols. There is no reason anyone needs to be driving 90+ mph out there. I can't believe the way some people drive.

Jean Robart 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree about highway 40. I much prefer to use the turnpike to Topeka, because of the turns and twists in highway 40. I occasionally travel to the Topeka with a friend, and cringe every time on 40.

snoops 2 years, 4 months ago

I really don't think you can blame dangerous highways in the Lawrence area on college kids. I drive K-10 everyday and rarely do I see a college kid driving erratically. Half-asleep commuters are all I see.

Jean Robart 2 years, 4 months ago

You mean college students are allowed on the highways around Lawrence? GASP!!! They do a bad enough job driving in town , let alone on the highway.

Ricky_Vaughn 2 years, 4 months ago

If you're not passing the person on the right, get the F over!

ksarmychick 2 years, 4 months ago

A 5 point harness carseat would have also saved this boys life.....how come I don't see his parents campaigning for the use of extended weight limit carseats to keep bigger kids safe?

Jake Hess 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad for the cable medians. They may not slow drivers down, but they will save lives. Lawrencians need to get off the high horse. All highways have dangerous drivers on them. K-10 has heavily congested commute times, and for some folks during these times, the speed limit and slower drivers are inconvenient. If area drivers need anything worth spending dollars on, it's driving workshops and road rage counseling.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 4 months ago

Great...how nice of you. Now get out YOUR check book and fund it.

somedude20 2 years, 4 months ago

Bet it won't save too many motorcyclists lives when they hit it. Bet if all cellphone usage while driving was illegale, it would save just as many if not more lives

gccs14r 2 years, 4 months ago

It'll suck for motorcyclists. It'll be like going through a tomato slicer.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 4 months ago

KUDOS to you for knot careing about whatever anybody else says or thinks or argueing about things that no body cares about becauze you dont if you do your just being one of their sheep hurting monkies with archie bunker raceists and people with no life's or commas!

pizzapete 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm glad they're installing these barriers and hope they do save lives. One life saved alone would be worth the money spent.

I'd also like to see all impared drivers taken off our roads. That would include people taking illegal drugs, abusing alcohol, and using cell phones and other electronic devices while driving. I've lost count of how many times I've nearly been run over or put in harms way by inattentive drivers.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 4 months ago

Protect us from the idiots, big bother!~) BROTHer!

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 4 months ago

Put up a roving camera which can be moved to a different location each week or month or more offend, picture taken sent check.