Archive for Monday, August 6, 2012

Inspection results of Lawrence restaurants

August 6, 2012

In November, the Kansas Department of Agriculture’s food inspectors visited 41 Lawrence restaurants, finding 133 critical violations, which are violations of the food code that could cause a foodborne illness. As part of a continuing Journal-World project, we’re collecting data from all Lawrence restaurant inspections and entering it into a searchable database and online map.

Click here to search reports directly. Some restaurants are not on the list because they have yet to be inspected in 2012. However, restaurants are inspected at least once per year.

Google form

November restaurant inspections

Restaurant inspection results for Lawrence restaurants in November.

Google form

Full restaurant inspection results 2012

This searchable charts shows the results for all Lawrence restaurants inspected in the first 11 months of 2012.

Google Map

Restaurant inspection map

A map of restaurant inspection violations for the first 10 months of 2012. : * If inspection reports don't open in Firefox browser, try Google Chrome or Safari.

Comments

whatever95 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm glad I don't belong to Lawrence Country Club - GROSS! I'd be pissed to PAY for membership and have that many violations.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 8 months ago

Here's a really fun and informative experiment:

1) Buy a fluorescent black light (UV light).

2) Wait until night time.

3) Shut off all the house lights.

4) Wave the fluorescent black light around in your kitchen.

5) Gasp in horror at how filthy it is, despite its apparent cleanliness under ordinary light.

EJ Mulligan 1 year, 8 months ago

I am officially repulsed by El Mezcal. Will be avoiding those for the foreseeable future.

The other surprise -- Papa Keno's with hardly any violations?! Times they are a changin'.

Fatty_McButterpants 1 year, 8 months ago

Gross. It looks like I'll be dining at home tonight instead!

LadyJ 1 year, 8 months ago

I see all the schools and KU related student places listed. What I don't see is any of the preschools and child care centers which do serve food. Are these inspected by a different agency? I think they should be inspect by the same agency as these guys. Does anyone know?

tomatogrower 1 year, 8 months ago

I bet half of the kitchens in Kansas wouldn't pass the inspection. Unless it's a gross violation, it's probably not going to kill you. It doesn't list what the violations are, so how do you know if it's all that serious?

naturalist 1 year, 8 months ago

Shaun, why isn't Genovese on this list?

Clickker 1 year, 8 months ago

I had the trots after I ate at the old BK...I think it was the mayo in my Whopper.

arylwren 1 year, 8 months ago

srj, Renaissance- I noticed that, too. That makes me sad though because I prefer to support local businesses. On the other hand, I've only felt sick after eating at chain places. Maybe quality of food trumps safety at times?

sowhatnow 1 year, 8 months ago

So here's a question: Why are locally owned coffee shops on this list, but nary a one of the many Starbucks in town? They get a pass on inspections, or just having the results published?

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 8 months ago

Excellent observation srj- having worked for a couple "chains" in high school nearly 15 years ago, I can attest that the corporate inspections were far more intrusive than anything the health department/city offered.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 8 months ago

Everybody seems to hate chain restaurants, but the top violators are all local.

OonlyBonly 1 year, 8 months ago

Panda Garden/Plum Tree on 6th?