Archive for Friday, August 3, 2012

Man struck by car cited for jaywalking

August 3, 2012

A 21-year-old Lawrence man was cited for jaywalking after he was injured Thursday afternoon when he was struck by a vehicle while attempting to cross 24th Street.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said Yiwen Yin got off a Kansas University bus in the 1400 block of West 24th Street at about 4:48 p.m. Thursday and started to cross the street in front of the bus.

Yin, who was not in a crosswalk, was struck by a westbound vehicle driven by a 23-year-old Lawrence man, McKinley said. Yin was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and released, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Comments

observant 1 year, 8 months ago

How is it the drivers fault the pedestrian lacked plain common sense to look before stepping out? And contrary to some other idiot posters this was not a school bus with appropriate signage and lights. And the pedestrian simply lacked any plain common sense.

AirForce12 1 year, 8 months ago

The person driving the car drove around a stopped bus and hit the kid... how is it his fault? It was on a 2 lane road and the bus was blocking traffic from the direction the car was traveling. Car moves out to pass in opposite lane and drills the kid.... Tough break

Steve Swaggerty 1 year, 8 months ago

What happened to a car yielding to pedestrian at all times?

monheim 1 year, 8 months ago

When I was a student 3-5 years ago the KU busses all had signs in the interior--I believe right above the door--saying NOT to cross in front of the bus once you get off, but to wait until it pulls away. It's bad enough to jaywalk but I found it pretty clear the first time I got off one of those busses that it'd be a horrible idea to try and walk in front of it. To do so is to basically cross by stepping directly out from behind a huge wall (the bus) that blocks your entire view that direction. A driver coming up along the left side of a bus even at a reasonable speed has no way of knowing if someone is about to step out and they are not barred legally from passing the bus. I saw at least one incident where the bus driver probably saved a kid's life by yelling at him to stop as he was about to walk across the front of the bus after getting off.

So...get off he bus, stand there until the bus pulls away, then do your thing.

alcoholbliss 1 year, 8 months ago

Downtown many crosswalks, with jaywalkers, no tickets

how many crosswalks are anywhere near the 1400 block of West 24th Street?

Like 1? http://goo.gl/maps/NlGjs

So man gets hit so, set an example give him a ticket, don't give man special crosswalks and signs like they did the jaywalkers in front of the LJW.

James Minor 1 year, 8 months ago

Hopefully, one of our future leaders wasn't a physicst. Common sense rules --- look both ways before you cross the street and the body with the largest force, mass and acceleration, usually causes the most damage!!!!!

g_rock 1 year, 8 months ago

Gameday near college campus while drinking....I would get that. I may or may not know folks that it may or may not have happened to.

But this? I blame the college kid warehouse apartment complex!!!

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh, come on now! Do you expect that someone who is getting off at the bus stop at the Connection which is right across the street is going to walk up to Walmart use the crosswalk and then walk back to the apartment complex? There are many complexes for students where the stop is in the middle of a very long block and I just can't see people walking way out of their way just to obey the letter of the law. When I walk I take the shortest route from point a to point b. If you are sitting down driving in an air conditioned car I can see how you would see that differently.

blue73harley 1 year, 8 months ago

"The victim had gotten off the bus and was crossing the street, just like what we are taught to do in elementry school. The car that struck him was attempting to pass the bus. I was always taught one should not pass a bus..."

This was not an elementary school bus with a stop sign. It has much bigger kids that need to use a cross walk. As a driver, you want to blow past these KU/Em-T buses as fast as possible because it is legal.

sunflowerpride 1 year, 8 months ago

What!! Things are crazy. The victim had gotten off the bus and was crossing the street, just like what we are taught to do in elementry school. The car that struck him was attempting to pass the bus. I was always taught one should not pass a bus, especially if you are crossing into oncoming traffic. I do not feel the guy should have gotten a ticket, but I guess according to the letter of the law? What about the driver? He was unsafely passing and driving in the incorrect lane!

consumer1 1 year, 8 months ago

Your opinion doesn't quite jibe with your moniker...

57chevy 1 year, 8 months ago

Rock chalk Jay walk. Those pesky pedestrians. We need only hit a few more to discourage walking altogether. Kansas, the only state to fully adopt driving as the only transportation option.

weiser 1 year, 8 months ago

You are right, the Yiwen Yin folks will be our future leaders. No question!

kernal 1 year, 8 months ago

Nothing but Jaywalkers downtown even when there is heavy traffic. I was beginning to think it was legal in Lawrence since I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket for over two decades.

consumer1 1 year, 8 months ago

I am glad he was not hurt, but I hope he learned a lesson. These are the future leaders of the world walking out in front of cars... The number of jaywalkers I see astounds me. Mamma didn't teach em very well at all.

Steve Bunch 1 year, 8 months ago

Regarding the headline, how can a car be cited for jaywalking?