Archive for Thursday, August 2, 2012

Statehouse Live: Kobach predicts low voter turnout in Tuesday primaries

August 2, 2012

— Despite the political war going on in the Republican Party, Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach on Thursday predicted a low 18 percent voter turnout in Tuesday's primary election. He also said he doubted there would be any problems with the new law that requires voters to show ID to vote.

Kobach said part of the reason for the small voter prediction is that congressional races have been low key.

None of the four Republican incumbent House members face a primary opponent. The most contested congressional race is the three candidate field in the Democratic primary for Congressional District 2, which includes Douglas County.

And even though there is intense competition between moderate Republicans and conservative Republicans in state House and Senate races, Kobach said legislative races don't necessarily drive people to the polls.

Kobach said another indicator of a low turnout is that advanced balloting has been slow.

Comments

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

"Low Voter turnout expected". Was not that your goal, Mr Kobach?

hyperinflate 2 years, 4 months ago

"Low [people of color] voter turnout expected" is his goal.

hyperinflate 2 years, 4 months ago

It's getting late, so you probably won't actually read this, but your attempt at "upsidedownism" has catastrophically failed. Why are Republicans so godawful bad at that line of reasoning?

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

Well, I am a democrat and can't vote in the Republican primary anyway. If I register as an independent, can I vote then?

thinkagain 2 years, 4 months ago

If you live in Lawrence, you can vote in the primary for one of the three Democrats who are running against each other to see who will face Lynn Jenkins in the November general election.

thinkagain 2 years, 4 months ago

Actually you can only vote for ONE of the three Democrats running.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the info. I will get my "I voted" sticker on Tuesday. Everybody! GET OUT AND VOTE!

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

If you register as unaffiliated, you can vote in either, but not both, primaries.

The D will let you vote in their primary as an unaffiliated voter, while the R require you register as a R at the primary before voting in the R primary.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

Isn't THAT interesting. If that is true most everywhere, no wonder a lot of Independents lean toward the democratic party.Thank you for the info.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

OK everyone, LET'S GET OUT AND VOTE! And vote like your future depends on it.

speedy47 2 years, 4 months ago

It probably does. Especially if you are a woman.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

You are absolutely right. Kansas is one of the most unfriendly states towards women's rights thanks to Brownback and Co.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

If I register as an Independent in future elections , can I vote on both tickets or only on an Independent ticket?

Larry Sturm 2 years, 4 months ago

You can register as an independent but don't expect your vote to be counted.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

Thanks. That is what I was afraid of.I am a 4th generation Democrat(as best I can tell from relatives). Better not change now.

Wiry 2 years, 4 months ago

Wasn't a low turnout the intent of all Kobach's actions?

oldbaldguy 2 years, 4 months ago

low turnout has been a problem for years. you can't blame kobach. presidential elections are low too. you get the government you deserve when you do not participate.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

Absolutely. I have never understood voter apathy.

Kate Rogge 2 years, 4 months ago

It sure as hell does if you're voting in Kansas for a Democrat presidential candidate. There's absolutely no way that vote will ever matter outside this state as long as all six Kansas electoral votes will always go as a block to the Republicans.

Steve Bunch 2 years, 4 months ago

I wish our public officials would stop "predicting" the turnout. Instead, they should be doing all they can to publicize polling places, eligibility requirements, etc. Predictions tend to be self-fulfilling.

asixbury 2 years, 4 months ago

How do you find out where to vote? I'm sure I could google it, but this will probably be faster and more reliable.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

You should have gotten something in the mail. My polling place changed from last year due to re-districting.Douglas County Elections and Registration Office. 1100 Mass. Lawrence KS.(785) 832-5267. Jamie Shew did a good job getting the notice out.

asixbury 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh, probably pinned to my fridge and didn't notice....silly me. Thanks!

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

You are quite welcome. Glad I could help.

Ira Rott 2 years, 4 months ago

Look at the card or (if you lost it or are not in Douglas county) you can put your information into KS secretary of State voterview https://myvoteinfo.voteks.org/

It will tell you your polling place at the top and which of all the districts you are in.

tomatogrower 2 years, 4 months ago

Didn't you get a card from the County Clerk? They sent them out with voting places and your new districts.

StirrrThePot 2 years, 4 months ago

Well, I'LL be voting on August 7. The moderate republicans all get my vote on that day.

verity 2 years, 4 months ago

Going to repeat the same thing I said on the other thread:

Prove him wrong, people! Show up in droves.

Get out and vote! ! !

The primaries have never been more important than they are this year, despite what Kobach says.

Those who say voting doesn't matter haven't been paying attention to what's been happening in Kansas these last two years.

hyperinflate 2 years, 4 months ago

"The primaries have never been more important than they are this year"

I'd argue that it doesn't matter which low-functioning teabagger you put in to the 3rd District Senate race. They're droids, humbly subservient to Sam Brownback and (apparently) Grover Norquist.

verity 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm now in a different district and around 350 people have changed affiliation recently---about 250 from Democrat to Republican, others to unaffiliated. There is a contest between a moderate Republican who plays nicely with others and a carpet-bagging tea partier who does not play nicely. So our primary is important, not only to us, but to the whole state.

I'm sorry you don't have better choices.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 4 months ago

Of course there will be low voter turnout on Tuesday. This is the first article that even had the day in a headline. Other articles mentioned the primary rather subtly. Every year there is less information.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

Dolph Jr. is a Republican. He also is a newspaper owner in a predominantly Democratic, well educated, college town. He is doing his part for the Republican dominated government here in Kansas. Need I say more?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 4 months ago

Speaking of conflict of interest, we all tend to do it. We vote for people who act in our best interests. We shop at places that cater to our best interests. We all do it ... all the time.

So Dolph's conflict of interest is no more or no less egregious than the voter who votes for the candidate that will provide more stuff ( er, I mean will act in their best interests ).

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

Except, of course, that journalists are supposed to be non-biased, or at least less biased, than your average joe.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

But, you must then suppose Dolph Jr is an Unbiased Journalist. He is the OWNER of the paper. He does do the occasional OP ED and you hear his Opinion. That is it.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they're supposed to be. But I think in these days of FOX, MSNBC, etc. we're past that. Sadly.

Thomas Bryce 2 years, 4 months ago

Did not condemn him for his actions. Yes it is human nature to do so.It is his paper. There are no laws against what he is doing. Just stating it is blatantly obvious what he is doing.

JHOK32 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh just because Kobach is requiring that you slay your first born child & then jump across the Grand Canyon with one leg missing in order to have the "right" to vote he think's we'll have a low voter turnout? Wow is that guy smart or what?