Archive for Thursday, August 2, 2012

Statehouse Live: Kobach predicts low voter turnout in Tuesday primaries

August 2, 2012

— Despite the political war going on in the Republican Party, Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach on Thursday predicted a low 18 percent voter turnout in Tuesday's primary election. He also said he doubted there would be any problems with the new law that requires voters to show ID to vote.

Kobach said part of the reason for the small voter prediction is that congressional races have been low key.

None of the four Republican incumbent House members face a primary opponent. The most contested congressional race is the three candidate field in the Democratic primary for Congressional District 2, which includes Douglas County.

And even though there is intense competition between moderate Republicans and conservative Republicans in state House and Senate races, Kobach said legislative races don't necessarily drive people to the polls.

Kobach said another indicator of a low turnout is that advanced balloting has been slow.

Comments

mikekt 1 year, 8 months ago

The evil wizard kobach reading his tea leafs predicts in a bowl............straight from a re-publican seance at Cedar Crest sam's. Whoo-Hoo!!!

JHOK32 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh just because Kobach is requiring that you slay your first born child & then jump across the Grand Canyon with one leg missing in order to have the "right" to vote he think's we'll have a low voter turnout? Wow is that guy smart or what?

Carol Bowen 1 year, 8 months ago

Of course there will be low voter turnout on Tuesday. This is the first article that even had the day in a headline. Other articles mentioned the primary rather subtly. Every year there is less information.

verity 1 year, 8 months ago

Going to repeat the same thing I said on the other thread:

Prove him wrong, people! Show up in droves.

Get out and vote! ! !

The primaries have never been more important than they are this year, despite what Kobach says.

Those who say voting doesn't matter haven't been paying attention to what's been happening in Kansas these last two years.

StirrrThePot 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, I'LL be voting on August 7. The moderate republicans all get my vote on that day.

weiser 1 year, 8 months ago

I want a large vote for Obama, FREE STUFF!

asixbury 1 year, 8 months ago

How do you find out where to vote? I'm sure I could google it, but this will probably be faster and more reliable.

Steve Bunch 1 year, 8 months ago

I wish our public officials would stop "predicting" the turnout. Instead, they should be doing all they can to publicize polling places, eligibility requirements, etc. Predictions tend to be self-fulfilling.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 8 months ago

low turnout has been a problem for years. you can't blame kobach. presidential elections are low too. you get the government you deserve when you do not participate.

Wiry 1 year, 8 months ago

Wasn't a low turnout the intent of all Kobach's actions?

Larry Sturm 1 year, 8 months ago

You can register as an independent but don't expect your vote to be counted.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 8 months ago

If I register as an Independent in future elections , can I vote on both tickets or only on an Independent ticket?

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 8 months ago

OK everyone, LET'S GET OUT AND VOTE! And vote like your future depends on it.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, I am a democrat and can't vote in the Republican primary anyway. If I register as an independent, can I vote then?

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 8 months ago

"Low Voter turnout expected". Was not that your goal, Mr Kobach?

Paul R Getto 1 year, 8 months ago

Not good and he is probably right. This is how 7% or so of the public runs the show. If we don't show up, we deserve the outcome.