Archive for Thursday, August 2, 2012

Kobach predicts first statewide test of photo ID to vote will be a success

August 2, 2012

— Critics of requiring photo ID to vote say such laws suppress voting, especially among the elderly and people with low incomes.

But Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach said Thursday the Kansas photo ID law that he shepherded through the Legislature may increase voter participation in next Tuesday’s Republican and Democratic primaries.

That is because, he said, his office’s photo ID campaign to educate voters about the law has raised the visibility of the election, which will be the first statewide test of the law.

He added, “You probably have some voters who are anxious to see how the new law works and maybe some voters who actually are excited about the new law and want to participate. So, I think the photo ID law is probably elevating turnout, slightly.”

But Ernestine Krehbiel, president of the League of Women Voters-Kansas, disagreed.

Krehbiel said she is concerned that elderly voters who don’t have driver’s licenses or other forms of photo ID will be unable to vote.

“We are not opposed to photo ID, but we are opposed to having it shoved down very fast, instead of going at it in a calm manner,” she said.

Kobach said he doubted many voters would not have ID, but he said for those who don’t, they can still cast a provisional ballot and get the ID within the next few days to have their votes count.

But Krehbiel said some elderly and low-income Kansans would be unable to get the necessary documents together in time to get the state-issued, free non-driver’s license ID and have their votes count. Statewide, 32 people have received this kind of ID.

Douglas County is tackling the photo ID requirement by becoming the first county in the state to issue its own ID cards for voters.

This will allow voters who don’t have a photo ID to avoid having to go to the state’s Division of Motor Vehicles. The Douglas County ID card also won’t require voters to produce a birth certificate to receive a photo ID. Under the system, Douglas County Clerk Jamie Shew will accept a current utility bill, bank statement, government check or other government documents that show a name or address.

Kobach said he supported the effort by Douglas County.

“It is a valid, government-issued ID,” he said. “The only concerns we would have, would be if a governmental unit were issuing the IDs without a requisite checking to ensure that a person was actually establishing who he or she says she is. But we are satisfied that Douglas County is doing that.”

Kobach’s comments were made during a news conference in which he predicted a paltry 18 percent of registered voters will vote in the primaries.

But that’s not because of photo ID, he said. He said part of the reason for the projected low voter turnout is that congressional races have been low key.

None of the four incumbent U.S. House members faces a Republican primary opponent. The most contested congressional race is the three-candidate field in the Democratic primary for Congressional District 2, which includes Douglas County.

And even though there is intense competition between moderate Republicans and conservative Republicans in state House and Senate races, Kobach said legislative races don’t necessarily drive people to the polls.

Kobach said another indicator of a low turnout is that advance voting has been low.

He predicted about 310,000 Kansans will vote in the primaries out of 1.7 million registered voters. Primary election turnout for the last decade has been 26 percent in 2002; 30 percent in 2004; 18.1 percent in 2006; 22.45 percent in 2008; and 25.2 percent in 2010.

Comments

lgrant 1 year, 8 months ago

Kobach predicts a low 18% turnout for the primary. This doesn't sound like "a success". People are feeling confused and disenfranchised. But by golly, there will be NO voter fraud. Just as in years past. Why doesn't he try to increase ease of voting instead of making it harder. Hope all those voters he claims are dead show up Tuesday with their current IDs

Richard Heckler 1 year, 8 months ago

Brownback has closed a bunch of voting places so it is likely that the voter turnout might be low. Claiming to save the state $30,000. The man is a goner.

Then Brownback does this:

Last year, Kansas used workers' withholding taxes to bribe AMC Entertainment with a $47 million payment to move its headquarters from downtown Kansas City, Missouri, to a KC suburb on the Kansas side, just 10 miles away. What a ripoff! Among the 2,700 corporations cashing in on such absurd diversions of state taxes from public need to private greed are Goldman Sachs, GE, Motorola, and Procter & Gamble.

AMC Entertainment has recently been sold to Dalian Wanda Group of China.

When this tax deal was cut AMC and Cordish Co. of Baltimore were partners. As of 5/25/12 this partnership is history.

As with many buyouts/mergers people lose jobs sooner of later due to the expense of purchase. Is all of the above legal as far as the $47 million tax dollar give away is concerned?

Where is the $47 million tax dollars?

jhawkinsf 1 year, 8 months ago

So, if I choose to go to the polls this Tuesday and I purposely leave my ID at home, can I rightfully make the claim that I have been disenfranchised?

Do I expect that some will do just that? The answer, in my opinion, is absolutely yes. Why would I expect that to happen? Because people vote for a variety of reasons. I typically vote for third party candidates, even though I am certain they will not win. Some tell me I'm throwing away my vote. I counter and tell them I'm trying to send a message to the two major parties. That's my reasoning and you may agree with it or not, but it's my vote to use as I see fit. Even if someone else thinks I'm throwing it away. This Tuesday, there will be people who try to make a point, send their message of opposition to the ID requirement by going to the polls without ID and be denied. It will happen as sure as people will vote for third party candidates. As certain as people writing in the names of cartoon characters. As certain as people wanting to send a message, it will happen. However, having purposely forfeited their right to vote, may they then claim disenfranchisement?

Maybe instead of voting for third party candidates, or writing in names, I'll leave my ID at home and then act surprised and indignant when my AARP card doesn't get me a ballot.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 8 months ago

The GOP have a long history in unintended consequences. For example, their hatred of FDR led to presidential term limits, which bit them on the butt when Reagan could have easily won a third term.

Let's hope the same will happen here. Maybe all of these attempts to disenfranchise voters will make citizens recognize the value of their vote and cause a large increase in voter turn out.

Then again, maybe the cow will jump over the moon.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 8 months ago

I say Kobach and Paperless voting are two of the most likely sources of voter fraud.

Most all voters have plenty of ID in the first place. What's with more big government coming from those who claim to be about less government? A perfect example of fraud.

jaywalker 1 year, 8 months ago

I predict this proves to be an exceptionally common sense move that should have been implemented decades ago.

blindrabbit 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeoman2: Keep up the good work! Navy 1962 to 1966, likewise Tonkin Gulf, Yankee Station, Vietnam, ammo ship, Olangapo! Anchors aweigh! My dilemma, how did I end up in now bigoted Kansas, a state that at one time was progressive!

Jayhawk1958 1 year, 8 months ago

Wasn't there voter fraud in Florida when Bush stole the election?

pace 1 year, 8 months ago

Kobach also assured Kansas and all the states he helped "create" special laws that they would be fine, but many have been struck down, one after another with high costs of defense. He is sure everything will be ok, but if it carries high costs and doesn't pass real courts, he is sure everyone else is just not getting it. Cost is no object to him. Sure he is sure, and if he is wrong, he won't pick up the tab or admit it. A real weasel.

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 8 months ago

Best recent quote I've seen in a very long time; "Shhh! You're scaring George Orwell!"

blindrabbit 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeoman2; Must be a former Navy guy like me! Anyway, thanks for the tip about comparing Nazi Germany and the Third Reich to present day goings-on in the GOP! I still harken back to George Santayana and his missive "those who ignore history are destined to repeat it". Not sure how much Kobach understands, ignores or uses those concepts to his end!

Orwell 1 year, 8 months ago

Right, Kkkris – like I said before, war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength..

donttreadonme 1 year, 8 months ago

"bigtoe2 hours, 28 minutes ago

Tell the people anything so long as you keep them entertained!! - Joseph Goebbels and Barack Obama, um, um, um."

Comparing the President to a Nazi is just ignorant. Stay classy, toe.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 8 months ago

Well said, Blind. But be careful, when you start to notice that some of the current occurances in our society begin to resemble any similarity to the nazis and the Thire Reich, some troll will stomp all over you with some stupid notion that anyone who uses these parallels should automaticlly be ignored. Younger poeple today who tend to be ignorant of historical events such as the rise of the nazis and the uneasy similarities to some of today's events such as Kobach, do not recognize these facist agendas (such as Kobach) and also tend to dismiss the danger of such people who the clueslee "christian" voters have elected.

As it happened in Germany in the 1930's, these facists looked so cool and disirable until they got into power and started to haul all the "undesirables" off to concentration camps and death camps. Line homosexuals that the boy scouts and the chicken man seem to despise.. Such attitudes seem to manaage to get codified into law and then who will speak up for you when they come for YOU?? Kobach and his cronies are fearfully dangerous but the voters who are submerged in the "christian nation" fraud seem to forget or ignore where such people as Kobach can lead us. It is time for everyone to wake up but I do not have a lot of faith in that ever happening.

JackMcKee 1 year, 8 months ago

Since I don't have another place for this, I thought I'd just leave it here.

Freightquote jumping the metro border from Lenexa to KC, bringing 1,225 jobs BY KEVIN COLLISON

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/03/3741009/freightquote-jumping-the-metro.html#storylink=cpy

blindrabbit 1 year, 8 months ago

If the real purpose of the voter I.D. law was to guard against illegals (of any type) from voting in the election there would be no controversy; ,however the REAL reason is to prevent certain minorities from voting and therefore exercising their legal rights and affecting the election outcomes. Regardless of what SCOTUS has said, the real reason cannot be denyed, do you trust The Court in all of it's decisions. My guess is that based on your statement, that you probably do not agree with The Court's recent decision on the Health Care Law, how do you feel about SCOTUS now?

This voting controversy has a certain familiaity and parallels to some voter suppression issues in 1933 Germany when one Adolph Hitler convinced the Reichstag to pass "The Law For the Protection of People and the State", in effect to limit the vote of all parties except the Nazi Party. Unfortunately he was successful in his attempt, and the world had to deal with the consequences. Do not doubt that the real reason for the spate of these laws throughout the country is voter suppression and not preventing illegal voting, regardless of SCOTUS and all the right-wing bantering.

Gareth 1 year, 8 months ago

Funny how the people supporting this transparent effort at vote suppression never respond when it's pointed out to them that there is no evidence at all to back up the assertion that voter fraud is occurring, anywhere.

msezdsit 1 year, 8 months ago

yep, he predicts 18% voter turnout and that has to be a victory for kobach

mrchips 1 year, 8 months ago

It'll probably take me at least 15 minutes to find my ID when I hit the front of the line, what with all the pockets on my cargo pants, the backpack, and fanny pack that I'll be wearing, as well as my fishing shirt with all those pockets!

" Darn, I thouhgt it was in that pocket, no, maybe this one" "Maybe I put it in my backpack, hold on.....nope, perhaps its in this pocket.....huh, I know I have it somewhere, let me check my fanny pack....nope...." Oh , here it is, I put it in my underwear so I wouldnt lose it, here you go nice lady.....sorry about all that sweat, it's really hot outside, and I was getting nervous that I would't find my ID"...

csun 1 year, 8 months ago

In Oregon, you are automatically registered when you receive a driver's licence.

csun 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought the idea was to get MORE citizens to vote. Photo ID laws were definitely enacted in key swing states to drive down Dem turnout and votes, since they are the 'classes' who more likely don't have new state required ID (Minorities, elderly, students/youth voters, married women and the disabled. Australia has the right idea (98% voter turnout). Give the voters an incentive and they will vote. How about a $100 tax credit?

Iwanttosaythis 1 year, 8 months ago

then why was i ask to show my ID the last time i votoed

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 8 months ago

Yegh right! CYA fellows, CYA!!

Koldback is the result of voter apathy and non-participation in Kansas and he is fervently praying that the Demonrats will be soundly defeated by his carefully craafted plan to prohibit those who may not have the correct citizenship papers issued by the Republican Reich.

Tell the people anything so long as you keep them entertained!! - Joseph Goebbels and Rush Limbaugh.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 8 months ago

"Statehouse Live: Kobach predicts low voter turnout in Tuesday primaries"

Success!

foggydew 1 year, 8 months ago

I think I will bring not only my driver's license but also my birth certificate, my marriage license detailing the name change from my birth certificate, my registration card (issued some 40 years ago), plus the postcard from Jamie Shew just in case Kobach figures out yet another way to make it harder for Democrats to vote.

organic_locallygrown_hatred 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't understand Kobach's reasoning when he says that the ID law will be positive in raising visibility for the election. More than anything, the new law only draws attention to the controversy that surrounds it; this is probably more important to him than the actual election, because he'll then score some political points with his base.

And as we all know, voter fraud has been practically non-existent, which calls into question the reasons for implementing the voter ID law. It's a well established fact that the people most effected by the law won't vote in favor of Kobach's party, which is why he's part of the wider scheme to rig elections in favor of the Republicans. It's ironic that the Republican party, with all of their rhetoric about freedom and democracy and the rights of individuals over the state, have worked so hard to alter the elector system in their favor.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 8 months ago

I suspect that the number of individuals who don't know about the ID requirement or don't have the resources to obtain an ID, AND then show up at the polls only to be turned away, thereby being disenfranchised, equals the number of individuals who show up at the polls with the intent of fraudulently voting. So whether you believe that one equals one, or a thousand equals a thousand, or a million equals a million, it's still equal.

Larry Sturm 1 year, 8 months ago

We don't have voter I D fraud, what we have is corruption of our government from large corporation's.

Kaplow 1 year, 8 months ago

I predict that the Journal World will write 100 other pointless articles about this arrogant racist jerk

BABBOY 1 year, 8 months ago

Come on man,

This is dead flipping issue. The law is in place.

Move on.

Stop give this idiot press time over this stupid crap.

Richard Benson 1 year, 8 months ago

I would encourage the Secretary of State to drop by "bill court" (Creditors' Court) a time or two. To look around and talk to a few people. To try to estimate how many people won't be voting, although (1) they are Kansas citizens, (2) they are not on probation or parole (and obviously not in prison - they are at bill court, (3) they have opinions about politics and public affairs. To see how many just won't be able to vote, because in their uncertain, impoverished lives they have lost their state-issued i.d., and won't be able to get the $20 together to get one until they have paid their creditors. (And guess what: most are in a hole they can never get out of.) That need not change the Secretary of State's opinion that the "first statewide test of photo ID to vote will be a success." But he would celebrate its success, knowing its success to have been only political.

Topple 1 year, 8 months ago

I guess the way I look at this legislation is that it's basically a waste of time, effort, money, etc.

On the other hand, I have a photo ID which I've always brought with me to vote, and would have been surprised to not need it.

I'm not overly familiar with nursing home residents ability to obtain photo IDs, but could see it being difficult for them. Anyone else should have a photo ID and shouldn't be complaining about having to show one.

Michael LoBurgio 1 year, 8 months ago

Kansas day of political reckoning is Tue. Huge stakes in Ks primary

Primary voters will determine whether Gov. Sam Brownback gets a Legislature willing to cooperate fully with his draconian social and fiscal agendas. The House is there already. Only two or three votes in the Senate stand in the way. That’s why Brownback and his allies, which include the Kansas Chamber of Commerce and the wealthy Koch family in Wichita, are pulling out all the stops to purge the Senate of moderate Republicans. Kansas will be a meaner and poorer state if voters allow that to happen.

The shape of public education. Brownback and the Legislature have cut deeply from the operating budgets of public school districts already. A fair number of lawmakers disagree that a key function of state government is to maintain quality schools; some actually resent public education as a symbol of government overreach. That all plays into Brownback’s small-government philosophy. Kansas needs legislators who understand what quality school districts mean to families and communities and are willing to protect them. Separation of powers. Not content with just legislative cooperation, Brownback wants the governor to also be able to hand-pick the state’s judiciary. Moderates in the Senate have rejected his proposal to allow the governor to select state appeals judges, subject to Senate confirmation. • Taxes and services. Brownback signed a crippling income tax cut into law this year and is likely not finished. His philosophical allies are pushing for a “taxpayer bill of rights” that would cap spending and require voter approval of any tax increases. That would impair the state from adequately funding schools or whittling down its disgracefully long waiting lists for disabled citizens needing services. College tuition would also be expected to increase. • Sales and property taxes. Fewer dollars at the state level would put pressure on city and county governments to maintain their levels of services by increasing taxes on purchases and on property values. Brownback also wants to give school districts permission to seek unlimited tax proposals from voters. All of this creates a wider gap between wealthy and less affluent communities and school districts. • Choice. Brownback has made it clear he will sign any bill limiting a woman’s right to an abortion, whether or not it is constitutional. His intrusions don’t stop there. On another front, the governor intends to turn all of the state’s Medicaid program over to private managed care companies, including long-term services for developmentally disabled citizens. Understandably, that group is deeply worried about receiving poorer care and fewer options. Brownback sincerely believes in diminishing government and in stamping his religious values into public policy.

Michael LoBurgio 1 year, 8 months ago

Photo ID Laws Disenfranchise Women Voters

Women voters beware. Right-wing attempts to push through tougher voter ID laws may keep you from voting in November.

I’m not talking about zombie moms. I’m not talking about women trying to pull the wool over some poll worker’s eyes in order to vote in a different town. I’m not even talking about undocumented women who some worry might be sneaking into your local voting booth.

I’m talking about women who just haven’t gotten around to changing their names on their driver’s licenses because of the paperwork and time required — either because they’ve gotten married or divorced.

Most of the news covering the GOP’s efforts to keep certain groups from the polls in November focus on the elderly, college students and people of color — groups that trended Democratic in 2008 and helped elect Barack Obama to the White House. While backers of voter photo identification laws want us to think these are just reasonable efforts to protect us from voter fraud, studies show there is virtually no voter fraud in America to protect us from. and to the extent that such fraud has been found, there has been no impact on the outcome of those elections.

tomatogrower 1 year, 8 months ago

"That is because, he said, his office has commissioned a photo ID campaign to educate voters about the law."

Really? I haven't seen TV ads and billboards. Has he gone into retirement homes to make sure they help those people get ID's? He said he supported Douglas county's effort to get ID's to these people. Did he pay for it from his budget? Didn't the article about Douglas county's efforts say he was reviewing it? So now he says he supported it. Past tense. This is the first we've heard that he supports it, so it should have been present tense. And let's face it, Jamie Shew's plan probably really hacked him off, but he couldn't say that aloud. It would have made him look bad politically. Has he created a department to go places and give rides to people without cars, so they can make it to an ID place? Of course, they would probably have to sign the loyalty oath to the GOP, before they get into the car.

Getaroom 1 year, 8 months ago

The Vote Slayer has spoken, so be it. If we see an increase in voting numbers I doubt it has anything to do with his ridiculous unneeded pice of bat dung legislation. The only voters turned away in the past were people who showed up confused, mainly to elderly. Why would undocumented people show up to vote. anyway, only to expose themselves?
Mighty Vote Slayer is pushing fear just like the whacko, Michelle Bachman.
All the votes are in for Kobach, he is a douche!

audvisartist 1 year, 8 months ago

I have a government-issued photo ID. From Mexico. That works, right?

Caz Snwot 1 year, 8 months ago

i predict that kobach is a douche.

jaywalker 1 year, 8 months ago

"We are not opposed to photo ID, but we are opposed to having it shoved down very fast, instead of going at it in a calm manner," she said.

It's been a year. How much more time do you need?

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 8 months ago

"Kobach predicts first statewide test of photo ID to vote will be a success"
___________

What he really means is that he has successfully turned a civil right into an elite privilege.

autie 1 year, 8 months ago

There will be people turned away just like there was here in an earlier local question. I saw some elderly folks who had voted all their lives turned away because of no ID. One guy hadn't had a driver's license for ten years but was sharp as a tack and madder than a wet hen. It is bad enough to have policy directed by fear. But to have policy directed by false fear is even worse. ....and please, if you vote please vote for the moderates...for heaven's sake vote for the moderates.

mikekt 1 year, 8 months ago

I told you that brownback & the re-publicans were having private seances at Cedar Crest !!!

Predictions, predictions, predictions, from the sec. of state, high priest of illegal alien management, kris kobach.

Wonder if they have a Wigi Board or if they are into the Crystal Balls, as i suspect ? Who knows ? Could be ....Tea Leafs,.... for all that we know ?!

Jean Robart 1 year, 8 months ago

Of course it will be a success---even if it isn't. He'll manage to put a positive spin on the turnout, whatever happens.

mrchips 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh, I'll have my ID somewhere on my person, but I predict that it might take me at least 15iinutes to find it. "well, I usually keep it right here in my wallet", let's see, nope. Where did I put that darned thing this morning, no, not that pocket. Mmmm....oh, maybe in this pocket.....nope. Let me take a look inu fanny pack, not in the outside pocket.......not in the main compartment..... Where did tha rascal go? Oh, I bet it's I'm my backpack.....it'll only take a few more minutes sir, sorry for holding up the line......oh, that's right I put it my chest pocket, so I wouldn't lose it.....

ddayot 1 year, 8 months ago

I'll have my ID, just like I did when I first voted and couldn't believe I didn't need my ID.

hyperinflate 1 year, 8 months ago

Two "Kobach predicts" stories in one day, LJW? Is he now on par with Nostradamus?

jhawkinsf 1 year, 8 months ago

The last election in Lawrence produced a 16% turnout. And that was with no ID requirement. Should we assume that if the turnout is higher than 16% that the ID requirement had no effect? And if the turnout is less than 16%, at what level can we say that democracy is officially dead? Would 1% do that?

justfornow 1 year, 8 months ago

I asked two simple questions and got the responses I thought I'd get.

verity 1 year, 8 months ago

Prove him wrong, people! Show up in droves..

Get out and vote! ! !

The primaries have never been more important than they are this year, despite what Kobach says.

Those who say voting doesn't matter haven't been paying attention to what's been happening in Kansas these last two years.

justfornow 1 year, 8 months ago

If an ID has never been required, how do you confirm that voter fraud hasn't taken place? I've never heard that question asked, let alone answered. It's possible and as a voter I want the chance eliminated. Why is it ok to put up roadblocks to my Second amendment rights and Dems fail to scream foul? Hypocrisy?

parrothead8 1 year, 8 months ago

Earlier today, Kobach predicted a low turnout. (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/aug...)

Now he says, "So, I think the photo ID law is probably elevating turnout, slightly." So which is it? Lower or higher?

And I have to wonder what he means by the ID law being a success. Does he mean that there will be hardly any instances of voter fraud...just like all the elections before the photo ID law?

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 8 months ago

I have my ID Mr. Kobach and I will vote on Tuesday. I hope and pray your prediction of an 18% turnout is proven wrong. I think it is just wishful thinking on your part.