Sports

Sports

K.C. trades Broxton to Reds

August 1, 2012

— Unable to upgrade their everyday lineup, the Cincinnati Reds instead strengthened the back end of their bullpen Tuesday by acquiring closer Jonathan Broxton from Kansas City for a pair of minor-league pitchers.

Manager Dusty Baker plans to use Broxton as a set-up man for closer Aroldis Chapman, who has dominated while finishing games. Baker said Broxton could be used in save situations when Chapman has pitched several days in a row.

The Reds surged into the NL Central lead by winning 10 in a row before their 11-5 loss to San Diego on Monday night. They’ve pulled it off without first baseman Joey Votto, their top hitter. Votto is expected back in a few weeks.

“We had several deals for position players we looked at, and in the end, we just felt we liked what we had and the deals didn’t make sense for us,” general manager Walt Jocketty said. “So we decided to focus on pitching.

“We said, at the beginning, we were going to try to look for a leadoff hitter, cleanup hitter, bench help or strengthen our pitching, and the position player deals just weren’t right for us. We felt good about adding an arm like Broxton. We’re still going to look at things in August, deals that can be made.”

Broxton expected a trade, but was surprised to wind up with Cincinnati.

“I kind of seen it coming, but I didn’t see Cincinnati,” he said in Kansas City, where the Royals were getting ready to play Cleveland. “But they were real aggressive late is what (GM Dayton Moore) said — that everything that was going on was Texas, Texas, Texas. Cincinnati jumped right in the last second and got me.”

The Reds gave up 24-year-old left-hander Donnie Joseph and 23-year-old right-hander Juan Carlos Sulbaran. Joseph was 4-1 with a 2.86 ERA and five saves at Triple-A. Sulbaran was 7-7 in 19 starts with a 4.04 ERA in Double-A.

Broxton goes from a team last in the AL Central at 41-60 to one with the second-best record in the majors at 61-41. Cincinnati led Pittsburgh by three games at the time of the trade.

“I’m going somewhere where I’m picking up 20-25 games (in standings),” Broxton said. “I enjoyed my time here, but this is part of baseball, so go over there and hopefully we can win a division over there.”

Reds players sat in front of the bank of big-screen television sets in the clubhouse Tuesday watching news of the various trades, hoping they wouldn’t be involved in one of them.

Comments

LeBo 2 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for pooing on the Cards! The Royals are haters!

Steve Jacob 2 years, 4 months ago

I like both the new pitchers numbers. Royals need pitching depth in the minors, between injuries and bad years of top prospects Chris Dwyer and Mike Montgomery.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 4 months ago

The Royals have a quarter century tradition of not caring about winning. If they tried, yet failed, I would support them. But they don't even try. They don't even pretend to try. The Chiefs, who have been away from the Super Bowl far longer than the Royals have been away from the World Series, at least try. And they get my support. The Royals? Sorry.

Ricky_Vaughn 2 years, 4 months ago

@jhawkinsf

If you don't support the Royals, then why are you reading about them?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm not interested in dying, yet I read the obituaries. The fact is, I read.

Orwell 2 years, 4 months ago

Oldsters will note the similarities to the KC A's of the 1950's, who were chronic losers and effectively a Yankees farm team. Too often when one of the young A's prospects started to achieve success (anybody remember a guy named Maris? Clete Boyer? Bobby Shantz? Hector Lopez?) there was a trade that pushed the A's talent pool back down to the bottom of the AL.

riverdrifter 2 years, 4 months ago

Broxton was a rent-a-player that Royals gave up nothing for and who would've moved on at the end of the season. They got a couple pitching prospects, so it's all good. The Glass family needs to learn that in building a contending franchise you need more than just a good farm system. Trades and free agent signings are also required. New owner, please.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 4 months ago

Why Dayton Moore isn't fired yet is besides me. Royals are like fools gold. They were flirting a few games below .500 before the All-Star break and I was starting to get interested, and then bam they start losing bad again. I would rather see a winning AAA team in K.C. then a continual losing franchise that is making no progress.