Archive for Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kansas encouraging online vehicle tag renewals

August 1, 2012

— The Kansas Department of Revenue on Wednesday encouraged people to get out of line and get online to renew their vehicle tags.

To that end, the department said it was waiving the credit card and electronic check processing fees for one year.

“With so many people today using their computers, tablets and cellphones to do everything from shopping to sharing photos, we want to make sure they also know they can conveniently renew vehicle registrations from the comfort of home,” Director of Vehicles Donna Shelite said.

The announcement comes after the department’s rocky rollout of a $40 million computer overhaul that has produced long lines, hours of waiting and loud complaining at several county treasurers’ offices. Increased use of online services is one aspect of that system modernization project, said Department of Revenue spokeswoman Jeannine Koranda.

The $3 flat fee for electronic checks will be waived, as well as the credit card fee that was 2.5 percent of the total transaction.

To renew online, go to the department's website. The online renewal option is available to anyone whose vehicle is registered in Kansas, whose address on the renewal is current, and who has vehicle insurance as required by law.

The online service requires a personal identification number (PIN), which is printed on the registration renewal notices Kansans receive in the mail.

By waiving the fees, the state will lose about $1.2 million in revenue.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 2 months ago

I renewed my car registration online in June, and as I recall, it was necessary to still have the same car insurance company. That is, if you have changed your car insurance company, you will still need to register your car in person.

But, that may have been changed since then.

Stephanie Harris 2 years, 2 months ago

I tried to register my vehicle online and used the PIN number on my registration application. When I input this number along with the year of my vehicle, the website says invalid combination and that there is no record matching it. I emailed the support address on 7/22 and still have not gotten a response. I also tried to call the phone number in Topeka and got a recording saying that too many callers were calling and to call back another time. I ended up going in to the office on 27th Street and renewing in person. Very frustrating.

asixbury 2 years, 2 months ago

I renewed online just fine. Saved a lot of time, if the online system works correctly.

John Hampton 2 years, 2 months ago

Renewing online is the way to go. It used to be that you had to have the same insurance as last year.

My understanding now is that as long as your agent reports your info to whatever national database is used that the cops look up when they pull you over... then you're ok.

I had two cars go through fine and my third... which hasn't changed insurance, I had to go in personally and take care of it because the insurance didn't report it to that database.

So I don't think having the same insurance as last year matters anymore.

Short story.... online reg. it's the way to go... and, my stickers were here literally three days later.

Hint: Use the eCheck option, it's free. If you use a credit card you'll get a 2-3% charge based on how much your tags are... which could add up.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 2 months ago

All of this online encouragement is a good way to put people out work. Would you want to be without a decent job? Why do the work? Taxes are not being reduced.

We all know Sam Brownback needs little encouragement to ruin people's lives by putting them unemployed.

Is automatic everything great for the job market? I say no.

Just like checking ourselves out at the grocery store. Would you like becoming unemployed? I refuse to check myself out for I would rather keep people employed. There is no discount for the doing the work so why do it? Grocery prices continue to climb.

gatekeeper 2 years, 2 months ago

They're encouraging this because of the delays and long lines caused by the upgrade to their computer system. I know people in JoCo that had to wait hours to get their tags renewed.

Did you ever think that many of us have to work during the hours you can renew in person? Maybe I value MY job and can't afford to take off work to renew in person.

If the lines are super long at the store and I have a couple of items, why not use the auto checkout? My time is very valuable to me and not waiting behind people with carts full of stuff when I can check myself out and get out of the store before they've finished with the first person in line with a full cart is valuable.

You want to rant about how using these things is putting people out of work, but you don't bother to think about WHY many of us would use these conveniences and how they can actually help many of us that can't easily take off work or who's time is valuable (I spend most of my time not at work caring for my elderly mother - I guess you would think I'm putting people out of work by not putting my mom in a nursing home where others can care for her, huh?).

John Hampton 2 years, 2 months ago

Newsflash. Morse code puts pony express out of business.

Last I heard, the online option hasn't cost anyone their job. Last I heard there are still lines at the Co. Treasurer's office and all the satellites.

I think you need to pick a different banner to stand behind, merrill

scopi_guy 2 years, 2 months ago

I always do that too. I don't think I ever get them in four days, but it's always been less than a week. They don't even charge the 50 cent per tag mailing fee anymore.

Katara 2 years, 2 months ago

They do charge a fee for using the satellite offices. IIRC it is $2 and is itemized on your registration.

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

Kinda like taxin' your taxes . . .

RoeDapple 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm the guy who, after waiting in line for over an hour, passes gas then looks disgustedly at the lady in front of me. Yeah, now you remember me, don'tcha?

dabbindan 2 years, 2 months ago

two things missing from the statement from Director of Vehicles Donna Shelite:

acknowledgment that the software has problems that make online renewals important.

an apology to the state workers who's skills she impugned earlier in this debacle.

Pat Long 2 years, 2 months ago

The tags and taxes have been fine, it's renewing the DL before December that has my interest.

NMCNEILL 2 years, 2 months ago

There is no good reason why all DMV "paper work" could not be handled by mail(either email or USPS).