This school was named after Quantrill’s Raid’s survivor and Plymouth Congregational Church’s abolitionist minister. After the 1863 raid, the reverend helped rebuild the town and served on the Lawrence Board of Education.
This school shares the name of the street on which it is located.
Originally, this school was named the Fifth Ward School. But in 1890, teachers petitioned to change its name to reflect the vegetation that surrounded the building.
This school is named after the former dean of KU’s College of Education, who served from 1907 to 1946.
Built on land that was donated by what is now Haskell Indian Nations University, this school’s name is considered a sign of peace.
This school was named after a famous Harlem Renaissance poet, who had attended Pinckney, New York and Central. He wrote about his experiences of growing up as an African-American male in the Midwest.
Legend has it, this school was named for the frequent sighting of a certain four-legged animals near where it was built.
Originally named Southeast Elementary School, this school was renamed several months later in honor of a principal who had taught Lawrence and Douglas County children for more than 50 years.
Before naming this school, district officials asked for community input. The name came from the flowers that grew on the field on which the school stands today.
This school was named after a Revolutionary War hero who helped write the U.S. Constitution and was a two-time Federalist Party presidential candidate from South Carolina. The school also sits on a street that in the town’s early days shared this name.
These four schools were named after the neighborhoods or subdivisions that were next to where they were built.
Cordley, named after Richard Cordley
Schwegler, named after Raymond A. Schwegler
Kennedy, named after Opal Jayne Kennedy
Pinckney, named after Charles Coatesworth Pinckney
Hillcrest, Sunset Hill, Quail Run, Prairie Park
Source: Lawrence public schools website