Wheel Genius: Road work planned this week
• The westbound right lane of 23rd Street from Haskell Avenue to Barker Avenue will be closed. Completion: May 2012.
• Northbound traffic will be restricted to one lane on North Third Street near the Kansas Turnpike entrance. Completion: June 2012.
• One lane of westbound Sixth Street west of George Williams Way will be closed intermittently until the end of May as Sixth Street is extended in the area. Completion: May 2012.
• Beginning at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, crews will begin overlay work on the left lane on the northbound U.S. 40/U.S. 59 bridge over the Kansas River. Completion: June 2012.
• Kansas River levee closed for construction of Bowersock Mills & Power Co.’s new plant on the north bank. Users will be detoured to city streets crossing at the controlled intersection of North Second and Locust streets. Completion: late 2012.
• Water lines will be replaced along 23rd Street from approximately Barker Avenue to just east of the Douglas County Maintenance yard, 711 E. 23rd St. Sanitary sewer piping will be reconstructed along the Burroughs Creek alignment north and south of East 23rd Street. These projects will close North Perimeter Road and East 23rd Street Frontage Road throughout construction. Completion: June 2012.
• Route 1055 (also known as Sixth Street) between Highway 56 (Ames Street) and Firetree Avenue will be closed beginning Tuesday. It will likely stay closed through July, but there will be a marked detour.
East 1900 Road
• Route 1057/East 1900 Road will be closed between the Kansas Highway 10 interchange and Route 458/North 1000 Road. A marked detour will be provided. Completion: November.
U.S. Highway 59
• Northbound and southbound left lanes are closed just north of 1100 Road for about 1,000 feet in each direction for pavement work. Completion: April 2012.
• North 200 Road closed at U.S. Highway 59 for frontage road construction work. Completion: late 2012.
U.S. Highway 24
• Traffic will be reduced to one lane in both directions over the Bourbanis Creek bridge beginning early afternoon Friday. Completion: November 2012.