Archive for Saturday, April 28, 2012

Lawrence resident taken to LMH after rollover accident at 21st and Louisiana

April 28, 2012

A Lawrence resident was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries after a rollover accident about 6:30 p.m. Saturday at 21st and Louisiana streets.

A white Dodge van driving west on 21st hit a red Subaru going south on Louisiana, flipping and crushing the Subaru. The Subaru driver was taken to the hospital while the driver of the van was reported to be unharmed.

“Both drivers are lucky to be OK,” said Lawrence Police Sgt. Troy Squire.

Squire said that no citations had been issued but that the investigation into the accident was ongoing.

Comments

Mike_DuPree 2 years, 8 months ago

I saw the aftermath of this accident and have a couple of pics.. The Subaru ended upside down, pointing north, in the right hand lane of Louisiana if you are driving north on the southeast corner of 21st of Lousiana. The right turn signal was blinking. If the Subaru was driving south and the Dodge was driving west, I can't imagine how the Subaru was struck and traveled to land in this position.

Clickker 2 years, 8 months ago

If the right turn signal was on, its possible that the Subaru had the signal on but didnt turn, and the Van, thinking he was going to turn, proceeded into the intersection. I see that ALL the time, and it usually results in a near miss. Better to wait until the turning car actually starts their turn than to rely on the signal.

irvan moore 2 years, 8 months ago

i saw the police car fly by our house with lights and sirens on it's way to the accident

greenworld 2 years, 8 months ago

I can imagine, he was probly driving about 80.

greenworld 2 years, 8 months ago

the police can measure the skid marks and determine the rate of speed. Its not to hard.

hujiko 2 years, 8 months ago

Attention: Your car WILL fit through those concrete islands on Louisiana without a problem, QUIT tapping your brakes you morons.

Kyle Chandler 2 years, 8 months ago

Those concrete islands are crosswalks, consider the people who use them. IE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. If tapping the brakes bothers you too much then you are too close anyway....BACK OFF

hujiko 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm not talking about when pedestrians are present, obviously that would be a reason to brake. However the majority of the time there isn't a soul on either sidewalk. Also, I wouldn't be so close to the next car ahead if they weren't randomly braking for no darn good reason i.e. my original complaint. If the street is busy then it becomes a long, slow moving caravan that has to brake at every island because some moron doesn't realize there is room enough for a fire engine....annoying

Curtis Lange 2 years, 8 months ago

You and kyle both missed the point of hujiko's comment...

gccs14r 2 years, 8 months ago

No kidding. And what's with moving back over to the centerline after going past the island(s), anyway? Unless there's a bicycle at curbside, there's no reason to move left.

hujiko 2 years, 8 months ago

I've noticed the same thing. Baffling almost, but not as obnoxious as repetitively slowing down.

Also, something needs to be done about the flustercluck of entrances south of 23rd to Checker's and The Malls. A bus lane and right turn lane would be a good start - I cannot count the number of close calls I have witnessed on that stretch.

Jeremi Lewis 2 years, 8 months ago

People have a problem with patience. I take that shortcut at least twice a day and you can wait there for several minutes. I don't mind the wait to be safe and there are times when there is very little traffic. If you're in a hurry or are just impatient and think you own the world, just take 23rd like everyone else. You would think people would be more aware while driving near a school pedestrian crossing.

gccs14r 2 years, 8 months ago

"People have a problem with patience. I take that shortcut at least twice a day..."

Because you don't have the patience to take a normal thoroughfare? :)

Jeremi Lewis 2 years, 7 months ago

Traffic is heavier other directions but mainly 21st is more of a direct route. I'm sure you don't really care about that though. Have a great day.