Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Ex-mayor given leadership award

Sue Hack speaks at a Leadership Lawrence event Friday, April 27, 2012, after receiving the 30th annual Don Volker leadership award.

April 28, 2012

Sue Hack got emotional. Taken by surprise, the kind words about her from Nelson Krueger caused her to blot her eyes.

“But what about Michelle and Patrick?” she asked.

The crowd laughed. Michelle and Patrick would be OK; it was Hack’s honor to be had.

Hack, a former Lawrence mayor, was presented with the Don Volker Leadership Award by Krueger and other members of Leadership Lawrence, a business group aimed at improving the community through partnerships, at an award ceremony Friday night at Maceli’s, 1031 N.H.

She thought the award was going to Michelle Fales and Patrick Kelly, but the two, plus several members of the 2012 Leadership Lawrence class, surprised her with the award.

Fales said Hack, who works with the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce, was always giving the award to others, so the class decided to switch things up with the surprise.

Krueger, who knew Volker and was in the first Leadership Lawrence class, described Hack in his introduction as “a mentor and an inspiration.”

Hack said she was “so blessed to be able to work with a group of people so helpful.”

Comments

hitme 1 year, 11 months ago

Totally amazing that the words "Hack" and "Leadership" can be used in the same sentence.

But hey, Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize without doing anything too.

What a world.

vermont 1 year, 11 months ago

Les Blevins 1 year, 11 months ago

I believe Hack won her award from the business group in part due to her compliance with the Chamber of Commerce policy of turning aside business opportunities from Lawrence area residents who want to create new and good paying jobs in the Lawrence area, and who make public private business proposals but are not members of the Chamber. This is what took place in my case anyway. When I extended a proposal letter by email to Hack when she was the Mayor she said that if I would write her a letter she would respond to that. So I did write and send her a letter and waited and waited for two weeks and she didn't respond, thus turning my proposal aside. So I sent her yet another proposal letter and she still ignored me and provided no response. Is this the sort of thing the Chamber and the business group in Lawrence admires? If anyone in the area wants to see the letters I forwarded to Mayor Hack and she ignored they can write me at LBlevins@sunflower.com and I'll furnish them and let them make up their minds if Sue Hack deserves accolades for dedication and professionalism in the pursuit of advancement for the Lawrence area.

Michelle Fales 1 year, 11 months ago

Alex and Jeremy, Thank you for exhibiting Leadership by stating your opinion without the shield of anonymity. As I have gotten to know both of you as you went through this year's class, you have both been great examples of what the Leadership Lawrence program is about.

For you naysaysers out there, until you take the time to go through the program, or sit down with one of us alumni, to see how much this program has changed our lives, both personally and professionally, I wonder if you understand what the Leadership Lawrence program's mission and curriculum is about. For more information about the curriculum and competencies that are taught in the program, I encourage you to visit the Kansas Leadership Center's website at www.kansasleadershipcenter.com and Leadership Lawrence's website at www.leadershiplawrence.org.

And just as both Jeremy and Alex have offered, I would be more than happy to sit down and discuss the program with you. Keep in mind, regardless of your personal feelings of Sue Hack, one person does not make a program. I personally consider Sue to be a friend. However the Leadership Lawrence program is put together with volunteers from all over the community, with various voices, under the guidance of Sue. This year alone, there was over 100 volunteers and speakers who donated their time to make this a rewarding experience for the class. And as the Curriculum Chair for the past 2 years, I can tell you that these volunteers and speakers come from every different industry, social economic and political background that Lawrence has to offer.

Alex and Jeremy, congratulations on your graduation from the program. And Sue, congratulations on a well-deserved award.

Michelle Fales Curriculum Chair and Incoming Advisory Board Chair for Leadership Lawrence

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

Leadership Lawrence sure don't care about tarnishing their name. She lied. Sue should of resigned. This is disgusting.

Noweigh 1 year, 11 months ago

Regardless of what you think of her politics, Sue Hack has donated countless hours over the years to the community as a volunteer and teacher. It's usually those that actually "do something" that take the arrows, especially in Lawrence. Instead of volunteering, serving in office or helping others, let's all meet outside "The Pig" or someplace simliar, smoke some French cigarettes and whine about things all day.

Wellington 1 year, 11 months ago

The fact that the LJW allows people to publicly to smear others is the reason I stopped taking the paper and switched to uverse 2.5 years ago, before the world company sold off sunflower broadband. What a sad state of affairs for a company that is dying on the vine and the only way they can generate clicks and views for advertising is at the expense of people who actually care about this community. Shame on you Mr. Simmons, your business model is severly broken.

Rara_Avis 1 year, 11 months ago

Or maybe it was the Ben Franklin.

Rara_Avis 1 year, 11 months ago

At least she doesn't have that George Washington hair anymore.

observant 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually, after thinking about it, practical joke best defines Sue.

observant 1 year, 11 months ago

Well aware of who Al & Sue Hack are. Also well aware of Leadershiue and her role in Leadership Lawrence are exactly why I think the entire program is a joke. And as Jack pointed out, what a joke, giving an award to one of their own. A Hack is always a hack.. Think this is an excellent definition. "a clever, benign, and ethical prank or practical joke"

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

Leadership Lawrence giving one of their own an award. How cute. This is about like ALEC giving the Kochs an award. What ever happened with the inside dealing that Hack was accused of engaging in while on the City Commission?

lascowiec 1 year, 11 months ago

I really don't have much of an opinion on LL or Sue Hack or anything else in this article really, I'm just here to troll the troll

@FalseHopeWhateverWhatever Learn to read buddy. This sentence, although poorly structured doesn't actually say what you think it says: "So, while you may disagree with the stances a person has on the issues, (as I disagree with you), this truly has nothing to do with the amount of leadership they exhibit"

If you read it a bit more carefully, II believe that our Farmer friend is alluding to the fact that a person's stance on the issues doesn't have anything to do with their leadership, etc etc etc. The statement here is not mean tot say that the award has nothing to do with the leadership Sue has exhibited as you have inferred through you're hasty reading of the post. Once you take out that pesky bit between the parentheses it becomes a bit clearer what Farmer is actually trying to say. You're welcome

indepsys 1 year, 11 months ago

@Observant, I'm very sorry that the people you know in the program didn't exceed your expectations of it. As a recent graduate, I think it's a very impressive acheivement to give up hours of your time to better your community, and to pay a tuition to learn more about your city.

As far as the "Hack" is concerned, as @Budgets_Smudgets said, just the amount of time both Sue and Al Hack have given this community deserves recognition. No one says that the Hacks or anyone in Lawrence for that matter is right all the time. What we are saying is that these people are willing to sacrifice time at their jobs and with their families for the same of the city of Lawrence.

I would challenge you @observant to apply for the class yourself, give the hours and hours it takes to participate, get to know what an amazing experience the Leadership Lawrence program is, and then still call it a joke.

On a side note, it is very easy to live in a community and post anonymously on the LJWorld website with a "Keep Fear Alive" avatar. But if you really want to be courageous in the face of fear, stand up for your comments in person.

Alex Delaney alex@indepsys.com

observant 1 year, 11 months ago

One more example of what a joke Leadership Lawrence program is. I know several who "graduated" from this program. They are totally worthless and the Hack is even more so.

beebo 1 year, 11 months ago

False's attempt at humor was lost on justfoodks...maybe another cup of Joe is in order.

Budgets_Smudgets 1 year, 11 months ago

Sue has provided thousands and thousands of hours in volunteer service for the betterment of the community.

Anyone who does that deserves a pat on the back, even if we don't agree with her 100% of the time.

Kudos and congratulations to Sue.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 11 months ago

Now that you got that out of your "system".

"this truly has nothing to do with the amount of leadership they exhibit."

..so the award winning LJW misprint the title of the article. ...."leadership award". Thanks for pointing that out.

btw...the satire was that Rundle, Boog, and Dunfield had no "leadership" to award.

cheerio mate

justfoodks 1 year, 11 months ago

BruceWayne & FalseHopeNoChange:

Although I vehemently disagree with your opinions of my friend & someone whom I deeply respect, I can appreciate that you took the time to air your opinions to the masses through an anonymous comment.

One of the things we're taught through Leadership Lawrence, is that leadership is an activity that anyone, at anytime at anyplace can engage in. And one of the hardest things I've had to learn is that people disagreeing with me can engage in that activity, and they're not wrong for doing it.

So, while you may disagree with the stances a person has on the issues, (as I disagree with you), this truly has nothing to do with the amount of leadership they exhibit.

I would love to sit down with you and have lunch to discuss the concerns that you both have, because I think that one of the things Leadership Lawrence has done is taught me to listen...because there's always another side. You can thank Sue Hack for teaching me that.

Sincerely, Jeremy Farmer Executive Director Just Food, the food bank in Douglas County jf@justfoodks.org 785.856.7030

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 11 months ago

I can't believe "Rundle, Boog, or Dunfield didn't take the prize. They were the "face" of Larryville. A retirement commune. Complete with buckets.

BruceWayne 1 year, 11 months ago

How quickly we forget. I for one have not, and find humor in Hack receiving a "leadership" award.