Archive for Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Father accused of driving his children to school drunk released from jail

April 25, 2012

A 24-year-old Lawrence man accused of driving his two children to school Tuesday while he was intoxicated was released from jail Wednesday.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson said prosecutors had not yet received information in the case from Lawrence police to make a decision about filing formal charges.

Police said an officer about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday stopped the man in the 1600 block of University Drive for a stop sign violation. Upon investigation officers determined the man was intoxicated while driving two children, ages 6 and 8, to school, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a police spokesman.

The man was arrested and taken to jail on suspicion of child endangerment, DUI, no driver’s license, transporting an open container, no proof of insurance and a stop sign violation.

Branson said prosecutors could still file formal charges in the case later once they receive police reports. The Journal-World generally does not identify suspects unless they are formally charged.

Comments

Steven Gaudreau 2 years, 10 months ago

What are the chances these kids have a good mom at home? 2%?

CLARKKENT 2 years, 10 months ago

THIS GUY MUST BE AN IDIOT. I HOPE THEY THROW THE BOOK AT HIM.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 2 years, 10 months ago

So the kids were drunk? Crazy kids! Guess they couldn't wait 'til the weekend.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 10 months ago

Now he drove his kids to some drunk at the school. ;) Not to make light of the sitch, but damn, fella, you even took your drink with you?

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 10 months ago

I wish I had a dollar for every time I had to get in the car with my dad while he was drunk lol.

parrothead8 2 years, 10 months ago

You made it out alive, which might be suggested as a fair deal in lieu of those lost dollars.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 10 months ago

Very true. I think back on what I went through as a kid and by all rights I should probably be dead. Someone was lookin after me thats for sure, cause my parents sure as heck werent

Anthony Mall 2 years, 10 months ago

this situation is being judged a bit harshly... I have been pulled over the next morning after drinking and failed a breath test... .091 to be exact... gonna give this guy the benefit here... hoping the open containers were old, from friends the night before etc... if he was drinking in the morning then throw the book at him...

Nikki May 2 years, 10 months ago

That is possible, but it also means you are still drunk. Sure your last drink could be hours before, but it's still in your system, obviously. Add to that the open container.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 10 months ago

So, reality_check79, by your own admission you have driven while intoxicated. There are so many words I would like to use for you and all ther drunk drivers, but then the comment would be deleted.

I am thankful the children of this man were not harmed-this time. My uncle was ot so fortunate. Some drunken idiot in Wi is directly responsible for him being paralyzed from the waist down for the rest of his life. Still think we should give drunks the benefit of the doubt? When Hell freezes over !

Anthony Mall 2 years, 10 months ago

So I'm confused... your angry and want to call me names but you were arrested for driving violations yourself by your previous posts... No insurance, expired tag right??? So you drove when you should not of been driving... What if you caused an accident or hurt someone with no insurance??? Can we sit here and call this a bit hypocritical???

Anthony Mall 2 years, 10 months ago

call me innocent... charges were dropped after all the facts came in "police report"... by a breath test yes I was over the limit... there have been 1000's of cases like mine where a blood test proved my innocence... I am sorry for your loss, but putting that on every person without knowing all of the facts is not fair... I have lost a friend I served to a drunk driver so I can relate to your pain but I don't blame every person or point fingers without knowing all of the facts... good luck...

Anthony Mall 2 years, 10 months ago

sorry for grammar errors, on a treadmill Haha

rockchalker52 2 years, 10 months ago

tread-texting, I like it.

'I read the thread & posted while I tread.'

2 years, 10 months ago

24 year old dad with kids age 9 and 6? Really?