Archive for Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Firefighters investigate cause of blaze at unoccupied mobile home on West 31st Street

Resident was arrested Monday night on drug-related charges, warrants

April 24, 2012, 5:45 a.m. Updated April 24, 2012, 4:15 p.m.

Fire at Gaslight Village

Crews respond to a fire Tuesday morning at the Gaslight Village mobile home park on 31st Street. Enlarge video

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical crews Tuesday were investigating the cause of a fire that destroyed a mobile home in the 1900 block of West 31st Street.

Fire officials said the home was unoccupied at the time the fire started, about 5:30 a.m., and law enforcement officials confirmed the resident, a 21-year-old Lawrence man, was arrested about eight hours earlier on drug charges.

Paul Longino, who lives across the street in the Gaslight Village park, said he woke up to the sound of glass breaking outside, but he didn’t realize the noise was caused by fire until he went outside.

“I saw the blaze, and before I could call 911 the fire trucks were already coming,” he said. “It was showing. It was so big I could feel the heat on my porch.”

Division Chief Eve Tolefree of Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical said the trailer was unoccupied, so no one was injured during the blaze.

The resident of the home was in Douglas County Jail when the fire broke out. The man, Bounsouay Khanya, 21, was booked into jail at 9:40 p.m. Monday for failure to appear in court on three warrants, one of which alleged drug sales.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman, said Khanya was arrested following a brief police chase just west of the mobile park.

Douglas County prosecutors on Tuesday charged Khanya with additional crimes: possession with intent to distribute cocaine, possession of methamphetamine, possession of drug paraphernalia and obstruction. Those charges stem from his Monday night arrest. Pro-tem Judge James George set his bond at $8,000.

About 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, nearby Home Depot employees called 911, and when fire crews arrived the home was fully engulfed. Crews took a defensive stance to knock down the flames. The fire did not spread to area homes, and it was declared under control at 5:54 a.m., Tolefree said.

“Defensively I think they got a good stop on it,” she said.

Investigators were still at the property late Tuesday afternoon, searching for the fire’s cause.

Comments

Randall Barnes 3 years, 3 months ago

the trailer is totally destroyed.... scanner traffic of a possible meth house.

Kyle Miller 3 years, 3 months ago

I heard all the sirens as I was leaving my house this morning over by 25th and Haskell. I was curious as to where they were going.

AlexTJ 3 years, 3 months ago

I can smell it from 19th and Louisiana

tao7 3 years, 3 months ago

Hard to breath on campus. Real strong chemical smell.

BruceWayne 3 years, 3 months ago

Just a guess...had a batch cooking, went to jail and batch ignited when left unattended.

infidel 3 years, 3 months ago

"smoldering remains of a mobile that caught fire"

Outstanding writing.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 3 months ago

"your next how bout that. stupid people."

Pywacket didn't jump on this one?

TheyCallMeDrBob 3 years, 3 months ago

why do some of you say thing's you don't know any-thing about??

bumblebee 3 years, 3 months ago

don't state facts that you don't know there were no chemical smells my friend was sitting there watching and don't try and dirty this young mans name. I have known Bounsouay since he was in grade school, he was an outstanding athlete and maintained a high GPA. Young men tend to get into a little trouble as young adults just like i am sure most of you have. I consider Bounsouay a dear friend and would open my house to him anytime. and to uni yes one down but you fail to see that several low income families will have no where to go! it sounds like your just the typical student who thinks they rule the world, I am from here i don't just live here to go to school. I know these families and know of the struggles that these families go through because i was there myself. To Dr.Bob thank you for standing up for my friend.

Firefighter10 3 years, 3 months ago

A little trouble? Maybe that's the probelem, people thinking their friends can do no wrong. Are you serious?! Getting a speeding ticket or being publicly intoxicated is a little trouble NOT selling drugs!! He did not under any circumstances deserve to have his house burn down, but he is a hardcore criminal who needs punishment and rehabilitation. You speak as if this man is innocent. Clearly not the case!

bumblebee 3 years, 3 months ago

I am a resident born here my family has been here for over 70 years my uncles built the roads and bridges you drive on, my grandfather helped build KU. I don't depend on mommy and daddy to pay my rent, buy my cars or pay my bills.I will inform whatever I want to and say whatever i feel is important.

bumblebee 3 years, 3 months ago

what happened to innocent until proven guilty. you don't know the details of the case or your name would be lieslikealawyer not firefighter10. That's why there is a court system so EVIDENCE can be presented. You know nothing about the case other than what your told in the paper. Your not perfect so don't act like you are.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 3 months ago

It's always fun when the friends and family get involved in the comments!

TheyCallMeDrBob 3 years, 3 months ago

is it time to cook pop-corn?? would like to hear more on what other.s think..

TheyCallMeDrBob 3 years, 3 months ago

is it time to cook pop-corn?? would like to hear more on what other.s think..

Jayhawk_4_Life 3 years, 3 months ago

innocent until proven guilty, it's as simple as that. no one has a right to judge him.

Firefighter10 3 years, 3 months ago

Pretty sure warrants for failure to appear means guilt proven on some level you idiot.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

"innocent until proven guilty" - That's true in a court of law, where the state has the power to strip a person of his freedom, his wealth and in extreme cases, his life. We posters on this anonymous forum have zero power to do the things that the state has. Therefore, the presumption of innocence which is guaranteed in a court, is not guaranteed here.

JackMcKee 3 years, 3 months ago

Lost tornado fooling with the kerosene lamp is my best guess.

Christine Anderson 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, I've been in jail twice, for being stupid enough to drive when I had not the funds to either insure my car or keep the tag current.. Two mini-visits to "the bad place" were enough. So yes, stupidpeopleinlawrence, being stupid does have something to do with it. I postulate, however, that it requires a greater measure of stupidy to make, deal, and sell drugs. The gift of stupidity is in direct proportion to the seriousness of the crime.