Archive for Friday, April 20, 2012

Pedestrian taken to hospital following accident

April 20, 2012, 10:53 a.m. Updated April 20, 2012, 3:48 p.m.

A 28-year-old Lawrence woman was taken to the hospital Friday morning after she was struck by a vehicle in the 2300 block of Iowa Street.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence police spokesman, said the woman, Amber Killscrow, was struck in the parking lot of Presto, 2330 Iowa, and injured her knee.

The driver of the vehicle, Thanh Pham Nguyen, 23, of Lawrence, had stopped near the sidewalk leaving the parking lot and was waiting for heavy traffic to clear. She accelerated and struck Killscrow as she was attempting to walk in front of the vehicle on the sidewalk.

Minutes later, about 8:50 a.m., the woman had walked about a block when a witness saw her and said she needed medical attention. She was later taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

McKinley said an officer later located Nguyen and gave her a citation for failing to yield to a pedestrian and failing to report an accident.

Comments

Clickker 3 years, 3 months ago

Did they find they guy who did this and fled?

GardenMomma 3 years, 3 months ago

Did you read the entire article? The driver of the car that hit her, stopped, got out, talked to the woman who declined treatment. Then as she was walking later, another driver saw that she needed help. That's when she went to the hospital.

"Nguyen initially got out to check on her, showed concern, and offered to call an ambulance, but Killscrow declined and walked away, McKinley said."

boltzmann 3 years, 3 months ago

Actually, it sounds like the real world as opposed to the fantasy world of your own making. A pedestrian in a sidewalk crossing an exit from a parking lot has the right of way - just like the cars in the street. So you are wrong in your assertion. The driver here is absolutely at fault, if the situation is as described.

Of course, the driver did the correct thing by getting out and checking on the pedestrian. For me, the fact that the pedestrian waved her off would seem to make the "failing to report an accident" charge somewhat unfair.

John Hamm 3 years, 3 months ago

"Sorry Officer I didn't see the pedestrian walking in front of my vehicle but I did see an opening in traffic so I took it." 'S'Normal for Lawrence.....

begin60 3 years, 3 months ago

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Reagan claimed that words such as these understandably strike fear into the hearts of many an honest citizen. After landing in Lawrence I too know how frightening ignorance and incompetence can be--especially when someone suffering from these obvious mental deficits is so thick and socially and politically unaware( and so offensively full of themselves nonetheless) they dare to get up in strangers' faces and claim to be helping. FOOLS RUSH IN WHERE ANGELS FEAR TO TREAD. It's been my misfortune to be bothered than more than my fair share of these backward fools in KS. Personally, I'd rather die in the street than be bothered by one of these fatheaded yahoos ever again.

Get a clue. You have no right to interfere with people's right to exercise and use public space. You especially have no right with your pitiful"glass-half-empty" views to see and enforce a sense of others limitations where none are felt to exist by the person in question. I sure do notice that you're not the brightest. That's why you need to back off with your mindless, aggressive pre-programmed BS. F-tards are not welcome in my life.Bother me again and your mug photo will be on my phone and given to the police. SIDEWALK TERRORISTS! STREET HARASSERS! I don't talk to kinky strangers who enjoy molesting random pedestrians. I'm from civilization.

chootspa 3 years, 3 months ago

Please remember to take your meds. Seriously.

OrestessonofAgamemnon 3 years, 3 months ago

What? Are you a Tea Partyer or a sane human being or what? Are you from Earth? Pleease explain.........

begin60 3 years, 3 months ago

Errata: This text box does not support capitals: Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. 2. * others' 3 Sidewalk terrorists 4 Street harassers 5. I don't talk...

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

goodcountrypeople, the way to keep your other user name a secret is to not make the same remarks such as sidewalk terrorists and street harassers.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Somebody is all cranky and needs a hug!

rockchalker52 3 years, 3 months ago

begin60, when are you gonna move? Can You adjust your meds or somethin'? Do you really feel better after you're through with the ranting?

LadyJ 3 years, 3 months ago

Doesn't his rant sound familiar? Seems someone has another user name on this site.