Archive for Friday, April 20, 2012

Douglas County investigators identify body of Lawrence man found near railroad tracks

April 20, 2012, 11:00 a.m. Updated April 20, 2012, 11:18 a.m.

Douglas County Sheriff’s investigators Friday identified Toby Burgess, 26, of Lawrence, as the man found dead Tuesday morning near railroad tracks north of Lawrence, said Sgt. Steve Lewis, a sheriff’s spokesman.

Lewis said officers have notified Burgess’ family. A Union Pacific Railroad employee on a passing train noticed a body near the tracks at 7 a.m. Tuesday about a quarter-mile north of the entrance to Riverfront Park in North Lawrence. The cause of death was severe trauma, likely caused by contact with a train, Lewis said.

“No foul play is suspected, and it appears to have been an accident,” he said.

Investigators were still working with Union Pacific officials to try to determine when exactly the accident would have occurred.

Comments

Mollie New Leaf 1 year, 11 months ago

If you had ever met Toby, you'd know what a great guy he was. He was so kind and gentle, and caring. He valued others and it was apparent in his interactions. I saw him not too long ago, walking down the street. I yelled out my window "Tobyyy!" as usual and he did his usual smile and wave. I'm kicking myself not for having not turned around and caught up with him. The only fitting thing about the last time I saw him is that it was an exchange that we had often. Me driving by, yelling a friendly greeting in his direction, him turning around and waving and smiling. Toby was someone worth knowing. He was truly a decent human being.

pace 1 year, 11 months ago

thanks for the information about the service at Liberty Hall. It was easy to love the guy. He carved his own way.

Joe_Henderson 1 year, 12 months ago

ATTN: A memorial service has been organized downtown. I'm pretty sure this is separate from any family memorial service (but I really don't know). Plan is Liberty Hall, Friday, 4-6pm. There's a facebook event, if you're into that kind of thing: https://www.facebook.com/events/159535987507638/

ashtray 1 year, 12 months ago

I was so heart broken when I heard the news about Toby last night - I still am. He was such an amazing human being who genuinely cared for others, even when he spoke about those whom he was not so fond of he still spoke kindly of them. :) He risked losing his job to give me food when I was extremely hungry, he offered a roof over my head when I was alone in Lawrence and debilitated as a result of a severe car accident, he was always inviting me to hang out with him and his friends, he went out of his way to talk to folks and find out of any job openings in town for me. I always counted on seeing Toby every time I visited Lawrence and went to Henry's. I wish I had the chance to tell Toby what a positive difference and huge impact he made in my life He was taken much much too soon - Toby will be truly missed by so many. I don't think anyone could ever go to Henry's Coffee Shop again without thinking of him. We love you Tobe! http://i40.tinypic.com/15av4i.jpg

truthbetold7 1 year, 12 months ago

Thank you for the update on a possible memorial service. I can't say enough good things about Toby & I only met him once. When my son had to move back to Lawrence about six years ago he had no where to go, no job, basically no money. Toby happily took him in, along with his cat Aki. He said "don't worry about the money, just pay me whenever you can". My son had nothing but good things to say about him. Maybe because people like Toby are so rare. He was a naturally giving person & I will forever be grateful to him for giving my son a place to live.

tipporeth 1 year, 12 months ago

The family is considering a local memorial service, but nothing firm yet. Some of the family is here, and many are far away, so we are trying to come up with a plan.

dadsbadnews 1 year, 12 months ago

Has anyone heard of any kind of visitation or anything? Does anyone know if he had any living relatives around here? Last time I knew, he didn't.

nativeoddball 1 year, 12 months ago

To know him was to love him. Downtown will never be the same without him.

pace 1 year, 12 months ago

Toby was a wonderful boy and he was a good man. I will miss him.

Pywacket 1 year, 12 months ago

How awful! Condolences to his family and friends. Sounds like he was very well loved.

mickeyrat 1 year, 12 months ago

I only wish Toby could have known how much he helped me, just by being his open and engaging self. The world needs more like him, and I wish he were still here.

guppypunkhead 1 year, 12 months ago

RIP Toby- you were a familiar, friendly face around town, and will be missed by all.

SuperActivistGirl 1 year, 12 months ago

So sad, he was truly one of the sweetest guys around. The type of guy that would tuck people in and kiss their foreheads if they were sleeping on his couch, or offer you his last morsel of food. He will truly be missed by us all.

RIP_Toby_B 1 year, 12 months ago

This is truly a sad day for Lawrence. I've had a friendship with Toby for many years and I'll say with no hesitation that he was the kindest man I have ever known. Toby wouldn't stand to see a friend hungry or needing a place to sleep, he was a giver plain and simple. Toby is someone that deserved only good things in life because Toby only put good things into this world. So sad...

Steve Swaggerty 1 year, 12 months ago

So sad!! Prayers are with friends and family.

lawrencenerd 1 year, 12 months ago

This is very tragic. Toby was one of the kindest guys I've known. He was the kind of person you couldn't help but love.

Grammaton 1 year, 12 months ago

Thank you for the update.

I knew Toby for many years. He was an upbeat, easy-going guy and always had time to send a joke via text message. He's sorely missed. I wish I knew what had happened.