Archive for Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Douglas County sheriff’s officers seek help in identifying man hit by train north of Lawrence

April 18, 2012

Douglas County Sheriff’s officers Wednesday asked for the public’s help identifying a man who apparently was hit by a train north of Lawrence.

The man’s body was discovered Tuesday morning near railroad tracks about a quarter-mile north of the entrance to Riverfront Park in North Lawrence.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a sheriff’s spokesman, said officers’ initial investigation indicates the man was struck by a train, but they are working with Union Pacific Railroad officials to try to determine exactly when that happened.

About 7 a.m. Tuesday, Union Pacific workers on a train headed from Kansas City, Kan., to Wichita noticed the body next to the tracks. Sheriff’s investigators say they do not suspect foul play.

Lewis said investigators were still seeking the man’s identity and asked anyone who might have information to call the sheriff’s office, 785-841-0007.

Comments

YetiPrime 2 years ago

otto 2 years ago

If you want to kill yourself you should not involve others like the people that operate trains.

YetiPrime 2 years ago

I don't know who Ray Brower is, but no...not him.

YetiPrime 2 years ago

He was identified today. I'm sure once they talk to his family and confirm it, they'll release the information. You should all show a little respect...someone died. The police did/are canvassing to get information. I was a part of providing some of that info...and the identity will be release soon.

rbs 2 years ago

I doubt it, Otto. . . Is it a possibility that law enforcement could not discern physical appearance? I mean, if someone is killed by a train. . .

otto 2 years ago

They don't really want help, they just want it to appear that they are trying. Otherwise they would provide more information.

somedude20 2 years ago

There is not even enough info to hit up that front, I mean, palm reading store on Mass to find out. Maybe it was ALF as he has been missing since 1990. How about a little more info,please.

jlzack 2 years ago

a couple years ago I saw someone riding the rails at the Lecompton crossing... I was surprised that this still happens...

LarryCarl 2 years ago

maybe he's not local... maybe he had jumped the train... it's my understanding that it's regained some popularity in recent years... I've heard that people (mostly young people) will even jump and ride the coal trains... hunkered down in the wedge area below the bin.... could have been this man had done that... and maybe fell asleep and fell off...

Steve Swaggerty 2 years ago

No one has noticed a friend or a member of their family is missing? SO SAD!!!

colicole81 2 years ago

It might be helpful if they included some information about the man such as age, race, height, hair color, etc. Just an idea.....