Archive for Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Man flown to KU Hospital after jumping from car driving across Kansas River bridge

April 17, 2012, 3:46 a.m. Updated April 17, 2012, 5:11 p.m.

A 22-year-old man was injured early Tuesday after he jumped out of a moving vehicle onto the Massachusetts Street bridge over the Kansas River, Lawrence police said.

Kim Murphree, a police spokeswoman, said the incident occurred about 3 a.m. when the man, Taylor Tesdahl, and female driver were having an argument.

The vehicle was traveling north across the bridge at about 30 mph when Tesdahl jumped.

The man, who apparently suffered a head injury, was taken about 4 a.m. by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., according to Operation 100’s Mike Frizzell, the Journal-World’s reporting partner.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 12 months ago

It's been a while since I've commented on this forum, and the comments today are an excellent example of why I quit doing it.

I had my reasons to comment here. The reasons were to improve my grammatical and writing skills, and to write brief autobiographical vignettes of my life when they pertained to a current article. It seems to me that I have accomplished that to at least some extent, and I've downloaded all my comments, 5679 of them, and now I'm sorting them out.

I just now received a telephone call from a very good friend that I have known since 1984. She knew the young man personally, and was shocked at the insensitivity of the anonymous comments that were posted here.

Apparently, many of the posters here think it would be just fine for anyone to show up at their mother's funeral, and just as her eulogy was being read, run up to the front of the church, scream to everyone that she was a prostitute, name a few of her clients, and then announce what she had been charging for her services.

And, whether it's true or not makes no difference.

Yes indeed, it's freedom of speech.

averado 2 years ago

Be nice. Hes a friend of mine. No one knows why he did that.

James Minor 2 years ago

They were arguing about who would take care of the horses before the "Dressage" competition. Only one of them can stay home, manage the +$20 million income, reduce the income tax to 14%, watch the kids, and figure out a way to get Newt out of the race!!! The guy could not take it anymore because everyone is starting to call him "Mitt the Waffeler"!!!

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years ago

jonas_opines 2 years ago

I would say, raw-sunflower, that it is wholly a mistake to base the mood of the town on the mood on an internet message board related to that town. These are dank, dark places with very little light, and toadstools and fungus are the things that grow best in those conditions.

Also, you might look up Penny Arcade's "Greater Internet Mookwad Theory." (as a hint, that third word is not the original, but censors and all). I think it remains, to this day, pretty accurate.

raw_sunflower 2 years ago

I get so depressed when I see the comments after articles about the misfortunes of other LOCAL citizens. I'm seriously beginning to give up on this town. There is little civility here.

The_Original_Bob 2 years ago

Northbound? I don't see how he lived through it. He's lucky. Riverdrifter

I thought the same.

kusp8 2 years ago

+1 for chocolate fountain... Seriously those have to be disgusting with everybody wiping their nosed on their hands and then using their hands for the chocolate fountain. No thank you I'll pass.

riverdrifter 2 years ago

Northbound? I don't see how he lived through it. He's lucky.

I guess.

scopi_guy 2 years ago

Hoping he's going to be OK.

thinking of an old Bobbie Gentry song

Roland Gunslinger 2 years ago

Looks like Consumer's speculation on the age range was right on target:

"A 22-year-old Lawrence man was injured early Tuesday..."

pace 2 years ago

I hope the guy makes it, everyone makes mistakes. I wish him the best.

acg 2 years ago

Maybe, bozo, and I'm just speculating, but maybe it's because in regards to the death on the tracks, we have no info on that story yet, so there is nothing to even speculate wildly on. However, the guy who pulled the Sobchak (and badly, I might add) on the N. Lawrence bridge totally set himself up to be ridiculed and poked fun of because, well, he DOVE OUT OF A MOVING CAR!! That makes him a knob and knobs don't get as much sympathy.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years ago

I'm curious why the JW allows anybody to speculate as wildly as they want on this article, but on the article about the person found dead on railroad tracks, that's not permitted.

Seems a bit inconsistent to me.

autie 2 years ago

3 a.m.? Love? No love? Nothing but bad things will happen.

0day 2 years ago

totally the wrong way to suicide.

The_Original_Bob 2 years ago

"Sounds like Walter Sobchak was on mission."

Drop and roll!!!!!!!

JackMcKee 2 years ago

Sounds like Walter Sobchak was on mission.

CWGOKU 2 years ago

Some one had really bad gas or horrible music on the radio

thefisherman 2 years ago

In a related story, the U.S. Stuntmen's Association has rejected its latest applicant.

Steve Swaggerty 2 years ago

Not a woman on the planet that's worth it!!!

LukeShort 2 years ago

He jumped because he thought he could drop and roll. He was wrong. Sucks fro him.

KSChick1 2 years ago

@Consumer1: don't speculate, unless you know something about what happened and what prompted him to jump, you don't know any of the facts! maybe they are both 18 or is that 81 and she sold his favorite unicorn see what I did there? cmon people...

headdoctor 2 years ago

Or he could have watched the Golden Corral sea food commercial to many times.

pineapple7 2 years ago

Isn't the speed limit going north across the bridge 25mph? Hm. Hope the guy will be alright!

consumer1 2 years ago

If I may speculate, the man was between 20-24 years old his girlfriend was breaking it off and he believed he could not survive the separation. This is a very difficult time of life for young men.