Archive for Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Man flown to KU Hospital after jumping from car driving across Kansas River bridge

April 17, 2012, 3:46 a.m. Updated April 17, 2012, 5:11 p.m.

A 22-year-old man was injured early Tuesday after he jumped out of a moving vehicle onto the Massachusetts Street bridge over the Kansas River, Lawrence police said.

Kim Murphree, a police spokeswoman, said the incident occurred about 3 a.m. when the man, Taylor Tesdahl, and female driver were having an argument.

The vehicle was traveling north across the bridge at about 30 mph when Tesdahl jumped.

The man, who apparently suffered a head injury, was taken about 4 a.m. by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., according to Operation 100’s Mike Frizzell, the Journal-World’s reporting partner.

Comments

consumer1 2 years, 8 months ago

If I may speculate, the man was between 20-24 years old his girlfriend was breaking it off and he believed he could not survive the separation. This is a very difficult time of life for young men.

pace 2 years, 8 months ago

maybe she was speculating about stuff without any info or sensible conclusions and he just couldn't take the drivel.

headdoctor 2 years, 8 months ago

Or he could have watched the Golden Corral sea food commercial to many times.

KSChick1 2 years, 8 months ago

@Consumer1: don't speculate, unless you know something about what happened and what prompted him to jump, you don't know any of the facts! maybe they are both 18 or is that 81 and she sold his favorite unicorn see what I did there? cmon people...

difference_of_opinion 2 years, 8 months ago

Um...is chasizing even a word? Pretty sure it's 'chastise'.

difference_of_opinion 2 years, 8 months ago

You are the one insulting people's intelligence, and then you use a word you don't even know how to spell! Who's pretending to be intelligent?

difference_of_opinion 2 years, 8 months ago

Sure...I mistype words all the time. But I make sure I spell check before I post comments. And for someone who says their favorite book is the dictionary...I expect more. Especially if they are going to criticize someone else's comment, which was just as much within their 1st Amendment right to post.

Bursting 2 years, 8 months ago

keep it to yourself consumer, and if you have a problem with 20-24 year olds then you are in the wrong town

Kathy Getto 2 years, 8 months ago

Oopsy - you have no First Amendment right here, bucko.

jonas_opines 2 years, 8 months ago

"Kschick2 Don't pretend you are intelligent enough to try and tell me what I should or shouldn't say. Ever heard of the 1st Amendment?"

If I might make a suggestion, I wouldn't pretend that you are intelligent enough to understand what the First Amendment actually means, since it seems, from this post, that you don't.

You kind of remind me of a Nazgul, Con1. I seem to recall, back in the day, that you occasionally contributed something of value. But you've slowly become more and more corrupted over the years. Pity.

pace 2 years, 8 months ago

Obviously, I have known better women than you have. She was tall and lean, eyes were green, her mouth, her eyes, were kindness. Her voice low, her mind quick, her laugh silver.

thefisherman 2 years, 8 months ago

In a related story, the U.S. Stuntmen's Association has rejected its latest applicant.

JackMcKee 2 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like Walter Sobchak was on mission.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm curious why the JW allows anybody to speculate as wildly as they want on this article, but on the article about the person found dead on railroad tracks, that's not permitted.

Seems a bit inconsistent to me.

Alex Parker 2 years, 8 months ago

The railroad incident is a death under investigation. As a policy, comments on stories like that are moderated.

acg 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe, bozo, and I'm just speculating, but maybe it's because in regards to the death on the tracks, we have no info on that story yet, so there is nothing to even speculate wildly on. However, the guy who pulled the Sobchak (and badly, I might add) on the N. Lawrence bridge totally set himself up to be ridiculed and poked fun of because, well, he DOVE OUT OF A MOVING CAR!! That makes him a knob and knobs don't get as much sympathy.

acg 2 years, 8 months ago

Awww superswine, I'm sorry, but you're obviously either a child or one of those twits that thinks the world is all unicorns and glitter. Guess what? It isn't. If someone dives out of a moving car and breaks his melon, it's his own damned fault. I'm not feeling any pity for him or any pity for you, for living in your fairyland.

pace 2 years, 8 months ago

I hope the guy makes it, everyone makes mistakes. I wish him the best.

scopi_guy 2 years, 8 months ago

Hoping he's going to be OK.

thinking of an old Bobbie Gentry song

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

Northbound? I don't see how he lived through it. He's lucky.

I guess.

kusp8 2 years, 8 months ago

+1 for chocolate fountain... Seriously those have to be disgusting with everybody wiping their nosed on their hands and then using their hands for the chocolate fountain. No thank you I'll pass.

Janet FitzGerald 2 years, 8 months ago

I get so depressed when I see the comments after articles about the misfortunes of other LOCAL citizens. I'm seriously beginning to give up on this town. There is little civility here.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 8 months ago

Are you frickin serious? You allow comments on here by people you have no idea who they are to ruin your life? Get a life and just stop reading. What you said is out of this world. LMAO

jonas_opines 2 years, 8 months ago

I would say, raw-sunflower, that it is wholly a mistake to base the mood of the town on the mood on an internet message board related to that town. These are dank, dark places with very little light, and toadstools and fungus are the things that grow best in those conditions.

Also, you might look up Penny Arcade's "Greater Internet Mookwad Theory." (as a hint, that third word is not the original, but censors and all). I think it remains, to this day, pretty accurate.

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 8 months ago

Yep. Everything is Obama's fault. Obama should be sued for causing the man to jump.

James Minor 2 years, 8 months ago

They were arguing about who would take care of the horses before the "Dressage" competition. Only one of them can stay home, manage the +$20 million income, reduce the income tax to 14%, watch the kids, and figure out a way to get Newt out of the race!!! The guy could not take it anymore because everyone is starting to call him "Mitt the Waffeler"!!!

Avery Pearson 2 years, 8 months ago

Be nice. Hes a friend of mine. No one knows why he did that.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 8 months ago

It's been a while since I've commented on this forum, and the comments today are an excellent example of why I quit doing it.

I had my reasons to comment here. The reasons were to improve my grammatical and writing skills, and to write brief autobiographical vignettes of my life when they pertained to a current article. It seems to me that I have accomplished that to at least some extent, and I've downloaded all my comments, 5679 of them, and now I'm sorting them out.

I just now received a telephone call from a very good friend that I have known since 1984. She knew the young man personally, and was shocked at the insensitivity of the anonymous comments that were posted here.

Apparently, many of the posters here think it would be just fine for anyone to show up at their mother's funeral, and just as her eulogy was being read, run up to the front of the church, scream to everyone that she was a prostitute, name a few of her clients, and then announce what she had been charging for her services.

And, whether it's true or not makes no difference.

Yes indeed, it's freedom of speech.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 8 months ago

Here is a portion of what my friend had to say:

I got an email that he had a serious accident and called his family home. He had severe brain trauma and operations, etc. This happened Tues. morning. I called his family and his Father was totally distraught. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/apr...

The Journal World is an insensitive piece of **** as far as this article goes. I am really mad they just let all those things be printed.