Archive for Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Brownback proclaims ‘Cowboy Poetry Week’

April 17, 2012

— In a state whose official song salutes deer and antelope at play on the range, Gov. Sam Brownback has declared this to be a week to celebrate cowboy poetry.

The governor is urging Kansans to mark Cowboy Poetry Week through Saturday with "the appropriate celebration," although he did not say what form that might take.

Brownback issued a proclamation Monday recognizing the contributions of cowboy poets throughout the state's history. He says cowboy and pioneer poets have played a large part in preserving Western heritage and the culture of Kansas.

The proclamation also says the "long tradition and endearing qualities" of telling old stories and poems demonstrate that cowboy poetry is a cherished Kansas tradition.

Comments

geekin_topekan 2 years, 8 months ago

Well there ain't no hair on a billy goat's asz I'll be derned if it ain't all shiny.

Oracle_of_Rhode 2 years, 8 months ago

Roses are red Violets are blue The cowboys are ALL gone But feed lots sure stink whoo-hoo!

somedude20 2 years, 8 months ago

How fitting since old Brownback has been pulling the old number six on Kansas

"Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course."

footnote2 2 years, 8 months ago

"with the appropriate celebration" Who would've thought that our governor would promote drinking in the guise of an appreciation for literature?

cowboy 2 years, 8 months ago

Flim Flam Sam dedicated the whole week to me , awesome !

Gene Autry's Code of Honor

A cowboy never takes unfair advantage - even of an enemy.

A cowboy never betrays a trust. He never goes back on his word.

A cowboy always tells the truth.

A cowboy is kind and gentle to small children, old folks, and animals.

A cowboy is free from racial and religious intolerances.

A cowboy is always helpful when someone is in trouble.

A cowboy is always a good worker.

A cowboy respects womanhood, his parents and his nation's laws.

A cowboy is clean about his person in thought, word, and deed.

A cowboy is a Patriot.

Sam might want on 1 thru 10

Patricia Davis 2 years, 8 months ago

I take my hat off to Gene. To Brownback not so much. BTW Cowgirls also sang/sing the blues.

Fossick 2 years, 8 months ago

Keith 2 years, 8 months ago

When is reverse cowboy week? Now that's some poetry.

Fossick 2 years, 8 months ago

That's a good way to break something. Just sayin'.

SDTPlant 2 years, 8 months ago

FINALLY! Something meaningul has come out of the Brownback administration. Next, he'll be declaring meadow muffins the state pastry.

Jay_lo 2 years, 8 months ago

The Gov'ner tips his 10 gallon hat to cowboy poets from these parts While back on the ranch he rustles the funding for the arts Throwed to wolves in the desert "You all will be fine" An outlook not shared by the other 49 "You don't need no help to do what you do" he says while filling his belly with good gov'ment stew

"We need help from the arts so little cowokes grow up right" "But don't look to me I want no dog in this fight" "Now ride off in the sunset as good artists should, you painters and poets and carvers of wood" "We'll set an example for the whole world to see" "To show just how backwards our state can be"

I think that his hat must of slipped down over his eyes 'cause he's blind for sure to what art supplies There could be other reasons why he took this strange course He mighta got too much sun or fell off of his horse!

4chewnut 2 years, 8 months ago

I have a Governor Jerk. I helped my Governor Jerk off his horse.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 8 months ago

What say this discourse Brownback fell from his horse Jarred his backside a no brainer His arms open wide under blue Kansas skies To offer cowpoke poetry disclaimer There's more to his offering Then meets the coweye and campfire If he'd get off his high horse Walk the common man's course Then he'd be dishing up more then just beans Cowboy poetry is grand But what about the band Of artists, performers and poets There is so much to see Beyond just the prairie And so many ways to say it.

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

I was out at the sale barn at Salina for the bull sale at high noon today. No sign of the guvner. Thought it would've been right down his alley, especially after the first couple dozen passed through the auction ring...

gudpoynt 2 years, 8 months ago

I believe Mr. Brownback prefers to sell his Bull from Topeka.

Ronda Miller 2 years, 8 months ago

My blog for Sunday: Lawrence hippies, unwed, single and divorced mothers, state employees, the disabled, homeless, schoolchildren and teachers poetry week..... Start writing them now, Jay_lo.....

Nice seeing you, River...I was the a$$ turned away from the chute at the sale barn. I've never been able to handle those goodbyes..

And don't misunderstand my response. I adore cowboys and their poetry!

Liberty275 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow, a proclamation. That and $4.50 will get you a latte a Z's.

Fossick 2 years, 8 months ago

Cowboy poetry Lib'rals tell the Governor: Wish I could quit you

Liberty275 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm gonna find me a horse Just about this big An' ride him all along the border line With a Pair of heavy-duty Zircon-encrusted tweezers in my hand Every other wrangler would say I was mighty grand By myself I wouldn't Have no boss But I'd be raisin' my lonely Dental Floss

FZ - A great American cowboy poet.

deec 2 years, 8 months ago

There once was a feller named Sammy Who liked to give poor folks the whammy Lived high on the hill, Sent school kids the bill, And sucked up his Koch cold and clammy.