Archive for Monday, April 16, 2012

Lawrence’s Best Buy store not included on closure list

April 16, 2012

Lawrence’s Best Buy store will not be one of about 50 stores the electronics retailer closes as it attempts to revamp its operations.

Corporate officials with Best Buy have released the complete list of store closings, and only one Kansas location is slated for closure. The Best Buy store in The Legends shopping center near the Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, Kan., is slated to close by mid-May, the company announced. One other Best Buy store in Kansas City, Mo., was closed in February.

Best Buy operates a store near 31st and Iowa streets in Lawrence.

The retailer announced earlier this year that it would close about 50 big box stores in an effort to give the company more flexibility to open smaller, more mobile-oriented stores in the future.

Comments

Grump 3 years ago

Glad it is remaining open. Where else would I go to look at electronics before I buy it on Amazon?

sad_lawrencian 3 years ago

Shopping at Best Buy (including the Lawrence store) has been an unpleasant experience for a long time. That Forbes article was right. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrydownes/2012/01/02/why-best-buy-is-going-out-of-business-gradually/)

Speaking of shopping at Lawrence's Best Buy:

There is always the brute male at the front podium, watching when people walk in and out.

The awkward, makeshift checkout lanes which are divided from the rest of the store via shelving units.

The cashiers who ask 1) do you HAVE a Reward Zone card, and 2) do you WANT a Reward Zone card?

Employees who walk up (at random) and ask if I need help; they only show up when I'm leaving the store and do not need any help.

The aisle of "new release" movies at the very front of the store: if I was coming and looking for a movie that was just released, the movie would never be in the DVD section of the store, so I'd have to walk all the way to the middle of the store, then up to the front again to that "new release" section.

Employees in "Geek Squad" shirts who are not members of the actual Geek Squad (and therefore couldn't answer technical questions about products).

The general run-down look of the store.

All in all, shopping there is a pain, and other stores (cough Walmart cough) offer a better experience. Some wonder, then, the store is staying open.

DillonBarnes 3 years ago

Even if they were Geek Squad members, they can't tell you anything without charging you.

duckedtapedemon 3 years ago

In all fairness, I've had exactly the same experience in the Kansas City stores.

shawn1040 3 years ago

That ' brute male' up front is supposed to prevent shoplifting - not sure if it really works, but damn its annoying. Most people know they are being watched in an electronics store.

The margins are fairly low on electronics, computers, etc - the money is made with the extended warranties, cables, ink and services. Best buy will soon follow the fate of Blockbuster. Good riddance!!

littlexav 3 years ago

That is an amazing article - although my personal experiences at the Lawrence store aren't bad at all, I have had some pretty terrible service in other BestBuy locations and the author's perspective on how BestBuy shot themselves in the foot in re: customer service and web presence is totally spot-on.

audvisartist 3 years ago

I put a curse on Best Buy when they refused to sell me the HP TouchPad the day they went on clearance. The manager snatched the device right out of my hands! Goodbye, Best Buy! It's only a matter of time before the Lawrence location, and the rest of your crappy stores, close down.

DillonBarnes 3 years ago

Agreed with everyone here, it's only a matter of time, and I hope it's soon.

My last best buy experience: I walked in and asked the man at the front where my item was, he pointed, "at the back of the store." So I walked "to the back" and began wandering looking for my item. There were 4 employees in the section at the time, none helping other customers. I wandered around with none of them acknowledging me. I found my section and stood there for a good 10 minutes looking at the options, no one came.

Bye.

littlexav 3 years ago

If they were just wandering around not helping anyone, why didn't you ask them for help?

DillonBarnes 3 years ago

I could have, but why should that fall to the customer? I've worked in retail stores like Best Buy before and it's not hard to recognize the customer who doesn't know where they're going. As a employee of that store, as someone who is both a sales associate and a service provider, the responsibility to assist these customers falls on their hands. I do give slack when the store is busy, because I've experienced that situation firsthand. However, when I pull up to the store and I wonder if it's actually open due to the lack of cars, that is no excuse for poor customer service.

It is not too much to expect an employee to at least display some effort in assisting customers. I'm glad you had a good experience there. However, I've haven't had a good experience in there in years.

dinglesmith 3 years ago

Must have hit their extended warranty quota for 2011.

Dan Blomgren 3 years ago

My favorite 'Best Buy' ploy is when there are two or three employees standing around talking, and when you walk over to ask for help they immediately take you off to another employee and once you have been pawned off of on him/her they reconvene to continue their banter leaving you to fend for yourself.

lunacydetector 3 years ago

buy best buy locally and the sales taxes pay for the bus line you people use and the rest of us subsidize

littlexav 3 years ago

Jeeze, you people are impossible to please. I accidentally bought the GameCube version of Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, which was released at the same time as the Wii version (which I wanted). I didn't realize my mistake until I opened the package and noticed the wrong-sized game disc. Sure, the Wii can play GameCube games, but it's not what I wanted. I took the game back to BestBuy, explained what happened, and the guy behind the counter allowed me to return the disc - even though their notoriously-unfair sales policy says "no returns or exchanges" on videogames or software. Granted, Amazon has a pretty liberal return policy, but there is no way the "lady" behind the Wal-Mart counter or the pimple-faced teen at the Target Customer Service desk would have treated me as well as the nice guy working the desk at the Lawrence BestBuy.