Archive for Monday, April 16, 2012

Lawrence man, 32, accused of leading police on lengthy chase

April 16, 2012, 10:00 a.m. Updated April 16, 2012, 11:14 a.m.

A 32-year-old Lawrence man was arrested early Monday morning after a vehicle chase with Lawrence police.

Sgt. Trent McKinley, a police spokesman, said that at 1:15 a.m. an officer tried to stop a vehicle for an alleged traffic violation in the 2700 block of West Sixth Street, but the driver wouldn’t stop. The officer pursued the vehicle south on Monterey Way, and eventually discontinued the pursuit near Wakarusa Drive and Bob Billings Parkway.

Officers later spotted the vehicle on the South Lawrence Trafficway near Clinton Parkway, and officers put out stop sticks to pierce the vehicle’s tires. The driver made it to the 2400 block of Arkansas Street before the vehicle struck a mailbox, and the driver was arrested, McKinley said. No injuries were reported.

According to jail records, Christopher James Johnson was booked on charges of attempting to elude police, reckless driving, interference with duties of an officer, driving on a suspended or revoked license, no insurance and a vehicle tag violation. He was charged in Lawrence Municipal Court, given notice to appear in court April 25 and was released on $1,100 bond in the city case.

But he was still being held in jail on a Kansas Department of Corrections warrant because he is on parole related to four Douglas County cases, including a 2006 fleeing or attempting to elude police conviction.

Comments

Patricia Davis 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for the story. I heard two police cars with sirens on flying like bats out of hell on Arkansas St. last night. Glad someone got caught. Sounds like the mail box needs to get a commendation or at least a court-oredered Mr. Johnson to replace it!

kwilkins74 2 years, 8 months ago

Let's see how long before they let him go and he does it again.

pagan_idolator 2 years, 8 months ago

I will never understand why people think they can outrun the cops. Very few probably get away with it and putting yourself and others in danger is just stupid. Plus you get the added charge. Derp! If he would have stopped he probably would have just gotten a ticket. If he would have gotten arrested instead of a ticket his charges wouldn't have amounted to a whole lot. Now he has a bunch more to add to them. Was it worth it?

Liberty275 2 years, 8 months ago

"I will never understand why people think they can outrun the cops."

I passed a Florida state trooper going the other way in a 55 zone, and I was doing about 80. I saw him flip the lights in the mirror, but I had a head start and kept rolling on. He lost that day and I doubt he was happy about a Nissan 720 pickup dusting his 5.0 Mustang.

Now that I'm a little older, I keep it close to the speed limit (except when I open up the Vette on 70 for grins), so I don't run into problems.

"Was it worth it? "

I didn't get a ticket. That counts for something.

Stuart Evans 2 years, 8 months ago

because this guy really seems to care if he has an actual license..

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 8 months ago

There was a crazy driver who was out on K10 last night around midnight. Westbound coming from Eudora. He or she was swerving from one far side of the highway to the other, speeding, making sudden lane changes, etc. Got in front of me, then behind me, then was suddenly in front of me again. Finally got stopped by Lawrence police directly in front of me. They waved me on and then had this guy/gal surrounded by police cars.

jcoozy1978 2 years, 8 months ago

He's got a hold from the KDOC .. looks like he's on his way back to prison again,and again,and again...

Carlos Nash 2 years, 8 months ago

I think this is the car chase I saw at 1.00 a.m. that went through the Walmart parking lot 32nd and Iowa St. It was pretty strange.