Archive for Tuesday, April 10, 2012

City may create swimming pond in dog park

April 10, 2012

The city’s Parks and Recreation Department has begun studying ways to improve the city’s off-leash dog park below Clinton Lake Dam, and department leaders said building a canine swimming pond is high on their list.

Department leaders told the city’s Parks and Recreation Advisory Board on Tuesday that a recent survey of dog-park users indicated providing easier access to the water was an important item for dog owners.

But Mark Hecker, the city’s parks superintendent, said there does appear to be an opportunity to build a small pond along one of the drainage ways that travels through the dog park.

“How large it can be is still something we need to discuss, but it could be around a quarter of an acre,” Hecker said.

Plans for the pond would need to win approval from the Corps of Engineers, and the city would need to finalize its funding source for the improvements.

The survey of dog park users also has parks and recreation leaders considering several other improvements to the approximately 80 acre park. They include:

• Improved markings for trails;

• A dog wash station;

• Small fenced area of about a half-acre that would allow dog owners a place to run their dogs without worrying they will escape into the countryside.

Hecker said some of the work to improve trails would likely begin soon, while other improvements would not begin until later this summer.

Comments

3 years, 1 month ago

What a breeding ground for illness and pests. This is a bad idea.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 1 month ago

If the LJW wants to have a free message board for its readers,

gccs14r 3 years, 1 month ago

I would bet that it is designed to have a net flow of water through it so it doesn't stagnate, and it will probably be lined so that it's not just a mudhole. Slope it from grade down to 2.5-3', with a short curb most of the way around, line it, and cover the lining with smooth gravel. It should stay fairly clean.

DA86 3 years, 1 month ago

I would love to see a fenced area at the dog park. There really isn't anywhere in Lawrence that is good for dogs that are less than obedient to run around without a leash.

KU_cynic 3 years, 1 month ago

Train your dog before taking it to the dog park. I'm occasionally surprised by people that bring aggressive or uncontrollable dogs to the dog park, where they just don't belong.

gccs14r 3 years, 1 month ago

Unless it has been removed recently, there is a fenced area to the north. That's where my wife and I took her dog to practice off-leash walking.

DanR 3 years, 1 month ago

It's still there. It's a bit overgrown with brush and trees, so maybe people want more of a fenced open space to throw balls/frisbees etc.

slvrntrt 3 years, 1 month ago

Dogs that do not come when called do not belong in uncontrolled situations with other uncontrolled dogs. Also known as dog parks. No fences!

The pond idea would be cool, but if it's done in such a way that the water is changed out by the current or filtered/cleaned some other way.

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Honestly, we are saying that homes/trailers aren't fit for habitation but we are thinking of dog park with a swimming pool for dogs? Goody, spend my money that way and don't help PEOPLE? I love dogs, I can bathe mine at home, excerise them at home, and don't have to worry about all those who don't vaccinate and are sure their dogs would never hurt anyone or another dog. What a phony town we are. Dogs first, send all others that aren't up to our standards out of sight and out of town!

Scott Oswalt 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm all for improving the dog park, too. Sounds like a great idea!

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 1 month ago

As a dog owner, I have no problem with the parks and rec using funds to make the dog park more attractive. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Yep, as long as it benefits you. How selfish.

asixbury 3 years, 1 month ago

You are now selfish as well by the comment you made.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 1 month ago

No kidding. As taxpayers, we should completely support things that screw us over. I'm with you CHIBW!

Next up: Screw the Roads!

KU_cynic 3 years, 1 month ago

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for the private beneficiaries of this proposed pet amenity to raise the funds for this project. I certainly don't want any tax dollars going to it.

parrothead8 3 years, 1 month ago

I do. My vote cancels yours, so it looks like the dog park improvements are right back on track.

rockchalker52 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree with KRichards. And my dog isn't aggressive. She's just excitable. Girls just wanna have fun. A fenced area would be really cool. And you can use my tax dollars if you want. Everybody always grousing about their tax dollars. Taxes ain't going down folks. Might as well get some actual nuts & bolts improvement out of 'em once in a while.

rockchalker52 3 years, 1 month ago

A giant ball of yarn amidst a field of catnip.

slvrntrt 3 years, 1 month ago

A small catnip field with windowsills for sun bathing.

jonas_opines 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for, in such a short post, showing that you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

The dog park is as far from downtown as you could possibly get and still be considered to be in the city.

Removing the dog park would cause more dogs to be downtown, not less.

jonas_opines 3 years, 1 month ago

Good that you have the ability to admit that. So few do on here. /tips hat, just this once

gatekeeper 3 years, 1 month ago

Kills me when people b*tch and moan about dogs downtown. I live near downtown and we take our dog there a lot. As long as the dog is trained, no reason you can't take them downtown. Every walk, lots of people come up and want to pet my dog (because he's well trained and adorable). Many shop owners have invited us in because they love him (his favorite store sells incense and when he smells it, he gets excited to go inside and get his pets).

Just don't understand some people's hatred of animals and wanting them banned from everywhere.

Christine Anderson 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't get it either. I have two kitties at home, but love dogs also. As long as people are cleaning up the doggie's doo, I don't see what the problem is with bringing them downtown.

cozborn 3 years, 1 month ago

the copious amounts of wormy white dog feces every ten feet, Thats why I dont like dogs downtown. pretty simple, I love dogs. but most people dont clean up

costello 3 years, 1 month ago

"Many users of the park have been taking their dogs to a small waterfall area on the Wakarusa River that is adjacent to the park. But the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has expressed concern about the practice. The Corps of Engineers owns the property below the Clinton Lake Dam but leases much of it to the city of Lawrence."

So, that waterfall area isn't actually in the park? I didn't realize that. I've taken my dog there a few times.

I'm curious as to why the Corps of Engineers is concerned about it.

Joe Hyde 3 years, 1 month ago

Not speaking for the Corps here, but during times when certain larger volumes of water are being released from Clinton Dam this waterfall becomes a lethal water hazard -- a type known as a "keeper hydraulic". Any dog (or dog owner) who jumps or falls in the river there and is caught in this recirculating current will have little or no chance of escape.

A pond for dogs at the dog park is a great idea. Almost every dog enjoys swimming or standing in water, and many dogs just about live for retrieving thrown tennis balls.

costello 3 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, it looks dangerous to me, the rocks at the top are covered with moss. Looks scary. And some of the ledges around there look like they might give way under your feet.

My dog's not big on swimming. She'll wade into the swallow water, but no further. I just love that spot, though. I hope they don't decide to make it inaccessible for dogs.

jonas_opines 3 years, 1 month ago

I am a little confused as to why that pool isn't sufficient, even if it's owned by the Corps.

I do miss the Lawrence Dog Park, one of the best in the nation, I think. All the dog parks here in Wilmington NC are just 100-200 foot square fenced in sections, and it doesn't seem to work very well, it seems to make the dogs more pent up and aggressive. Thankfully, there's a couple other places that the dog can be off leash and run around to burn his vast energy.

johnwoods 3 years, 1 month ago

I love dogs, and have only owned dogs as pets. But, I think the city has spent enough by offering what is currently available. Owning a pet is a personal choice and the cost of owning a pet should not be funded by the city. This is way different than offering recreational services for human citizens.

costello 3 years, 1 month ago

I feel like it is a recreational service for human citizens. I love walking there myself - dog or no dog. Furthermore, human citizens have dogs who need to get out and run and socialize.

patkindle 3 years, 1 month ago

just got my property tax bill today glad to see the money is going for a good cause they sure dont spent it on anything worthwhile anyway

jonas_opines 3 years, 1 month ago

"the pool downtown has people "voiding" and "defecating" in it already"

I hardly feel that this is the forum for such personal confessions. Surely a councilor would help you with your problem?

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't mind a good dog park, I hope the pool helps. I don't mind the skate board park, kids should have places to play, play grounds, flower bed, walking trails, trees, make sense to me. As a community we are better for them. I don't want a dog and god save me if I get on a skate board.

love2bike 3 years, 1 month ago

Great idea! Really like the proposal for a swimming pool and a dog wash area. My dog is my companion and the park is one of the few places we can go together. Thanks!

tanaumaga 3 years, 1 month ago

The Lawrence off the leash dog park is head and shoulders above what other parks can provide ....Let's be happy with what we have and appropriate money elsewhere. We have a dog, we love our dog, and we don't expect everyone else to embrace that....so we do it by ourselves.

workinghard 3 years, 1 month ago

I just wish I could convince some of my neighbors that my yard is a not a dog park. Seriously, who opens someone's gate to their back yard to let their dog in and let's them use it as a toilet? They do it to my neighbors as well.

gccs14r 3 years, 1 month ago

Padlock the gate or file a complaint and have them arrested for trespassing. Or both.