Archive for Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Baldwin City hunter, 70, pleads to criminal discharge of a firearm

April 10, 2012

A 70-year-old Baldwin City man who was arrested in December as part of a sting operation pleaded no contest Tuesday to criminal discharge of a firearm.

Douglas County prosecutors said District Judge Peggy Kittel ordered Darrell R. Norris to pay a $500 fine and $160 in court costs for the misdemeanor conviction. He originally was charged with four misdemeanors after prosecutors alleged he fired a gun from his vehicle and did not have permission to hunt on the land.

He was cited Dec. 9 as part of the sting operation conducted south of Lawrence by Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism officers.

They had placed a decoy deer on land to entice would-be poachers. Three Olathe men also were charged in the sting operation.

Comments

Joe Berns 2 years, 8 months ago

I'd make them all retake hunter education training and wear a sign saying what they did. It's idgits like this who make hunters look bad.

motoadventure 2 years, 8 months ago

Funny thing, disappointing thing, he's over 65 so he doesn't need a license to hunt, let alone need to have taken hunter's ed.

tomatogrower 2 years, 8 months ago

He still can't hunt from the road on other people's properties.

WTF 2 years, 8 months ago

When they say deer decoy, they mean a deer that has been mounted by a taxidermist (and most likely motorized for movement of head/tail/ears). It is a real deer hide over a frame. I would put money down that you would think it is a real deer too. That does NOT however excuse the unethical and illegal behavior of what this man did. It gives hunters a bad public image.

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

You be psychic there autie. How you knoes I be lookin' here?

tomatogrower 2 years, 8 months ago

And I believe he shot it from the road. #1 and that problem really upsets me.

tomatogrower 2 years, 8 months ago

Then you have never lived in the country. People do go walking on their property. Pets wander their property.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 8 months ago

I have been in the woods during deer season and can see the road from my regular spot in the woods, and have seen cars and pick-ups stop and shoot at deer standing in open fields, of course they couldn't see me watching , never got a tag number to turn them in---just $650.00 in fine, should have been more

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

And that is the big issue FlintlockRifle! That deer you may not be shooting at due to the road being just beyond it could easily be between you and the poacher shooting from the road.

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

What Roe said. It's been years ago but I was up a tree stand about 200 yards from a township road and d-bags pulled up and shot at deer from the road -right in my direction. It was a very helpless feeling. You're up there 16 feet and there's nowhere to go. I would hope there was a throw-in on the sentencing wherein this jerkbait doesn't apply for a deer permit for the next few years.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 8 months ago

Back in the day at times the law or DNR would look the other way if they felt the person shooting the animal needed the meat. I know they used to do this around here.

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

If it weren't for hunters deer would be extinct.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 8 months ago

Dear LJWorld, Please do not refer to poachers as hunters. There is a big difference!

JackMcKee 2 years, 8 months ago

local good ole boy gets nabbed by the cops and not one person has posted in his defense? some of you are really off your games.