Opinion

Opinion

Serving up hate

April 8, 2012

To the editor:

So this gay man, a lesbian woman and a conservative lawmaker walk into a Lawrence bar. “What’ll you have?” asks the barkeep. The gay man says, “I’ll have liberty, freedom and a side of non-discrimination.” The lesbian woman says, “I’ll have what he’s having, but with a side of compassion.” The lawmaker says, “I’ll have a shot of homophobia mixed with a squeeze of hate and a bale of biblical cherry-picking on the side, just in case I need to explain myself.”

The bartender says, “Hey, I thought this was supposed to be a joke.” “Not if you have any self-respect,” says the lesbian woman. “Not if you understand what ‘Free State’ means,” says the gay man. The bartender looks at the lawmaker and says, “We don’t serve your kind here.”

Comments

Fossick 2 years, 3 months ago

Simple explanation: If you're on the left, discrimination against those you don't like or those with whom you disagree is laudable. If you're on the right, such discrimination is iniquitous.

asixbury 2 years, 3 months ago

Hate begets hate. That is about the most profound thing I have seen your write on here. Way to go FHNC! You are absolutely correct on that one.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 3 months ago

I am sick of this topic. We have bashed the gays, the gay haters and everyone in between. Can't we just get along?

Brock Masters 2 years, 3 months ago

So it is okay for the bartender to discriminate against the legislator?

OonlyBonly 2 years, 3 months ago

Of course. He's a "Conservative."

asixbury 2 years, 3 months ago

Happy late Moai to you too! I would love to travel to that island someday.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Two straw men and a walking hyperbole walk into a bar.....

weeslicket 2 years, 3 months ago

The bartender looks at the lawmaker and says, “We don’t serve your kind here.”

(because the barkeep's freedom of religious belief is protected)

jafs 2 years, 3 months ago

Two blondes walk into a building...you'd think at least one of them would have seen it.

Apologies to any who are offended.

jellybeanies 2 years, 3 months ago

Anyone that calls it their "nethers" is getting zero action down there whether it be male or female.

Kirk Larson 2 years, 3 months ago

A gay friend once asked me, "Why do straight men always think we're looking at them?"

verity 2 years, 3 months ago

I've never been sexually harassed, propositioned, or had my nethers perused (at least not so that I noticed) by a homosexual male or female or straight female. I have by heterosexual males---to the point of feeling very threatened on occasion.

Just sayin'.

deec 2 years, 3 months ago

If we are going to advocate for basing rights on choice, then religious protection should be repealed. One's brand of religion is a choice.

jafs 2 years, 3 months ago

Generally speaking, the rights that are being sought by minorities are the same rights that are and have been available to the majority for a long time.

This is true whether we're discussing women, black folks, gay people, etc.

When women sought the right to vote, men already had it.

When black people sought the right to be free from slavery, white people already had it.

When gay people seek the right to marry one they love, straight people already have it.

As a straight white male, I have all of those rights, and wouldn't begrudge them to anyone else - why shouldn't others have the same rights I do?

booyalab 2 years, 3 months ago

Technically, gay people do have the right to marry. But it's easy to confuse "gay" with "woman" because we have been led to believe that homosexual activity is not a choice.

ivalueamerica 2 years, 3 months ago

Racist and bigots need to learn that racism is not a point of view, it is a psychopathic behavior, an illness that is a threat. Today a racist told me he is afraid and ashamed to spout his views in public and that made him angry as though his freedom was being breached. I explained to him that free speech does NOT mean freedom from responsibility for what one says. I told him that he should be just as scared as a rapist or child molester in advocating their behaviors.

JustNoticed 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow. A reaction, a clarification (although a bit snotty), an apology. A 95% civil exchange!

Brock Masters 2 years, 3 months ago

I value

If it is an illness then they can't help it can they so shouldn't they be accepted and shown compassion instead of threatened?

booyalab 2 years, 3 months ago

There are two people I don't like in this world......the intolerant and conservative lawmakers

Abdu Omar 2 years, 3 months ago

Aren't you gus sick of this topic? I am. But post on, you want to pour out your venom, go for it.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 3 months ago

Fossick 2 years, 3 months ago

“We don’t serve your kind here.”

I just love it how all the people who allegedly abhor discrimination in other threads celebrate it in this one. It's almost enough to make one conclude that it's not discrimination which is really at issue...

jellybeanies 2 years, 3 months ago

The last time I checked, "bigots" were not a protected group under the Civil Rights Act. A private business has the right to refuse service. It may be a discriminatory act, but it is a legal one.

Brock Masters 2 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps bigots should be a protected class too? Why not? Do you know anyone who sets out to be a bigot? It is not a choice, it is just who they are and therefore they should be protected.

Fossick 2 years, 3 months ago

jellybeanies: "The last time I checked, 'bigots' were not a protected group under the Civil Rights Act."

So what? If "bigots" manage to get race struck from the Civil Rights Act, will you then find it ok to discriminate against blacks? It is a strange morality that relies on the negotiated results of Congress and the President to give it direction.

In fact, as is proven in this thread, people are not against discrimination, they simply don't like how other people discriminate.

equalaccessprivacy 2 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence is full of harassment. Creepy Lawrence men will even bother you after dark when any sane and considerate person knows that would be scary and unnerving. People from southern-influenced and lower Midwestern cultures have been raised with an offensive sense of entitlement. They are too clueless to realize that patronizing attitudes undermine respect and equality under the law.

asixbury 2 years, 3 months ago

Whatever happened to you in this town? Every comment you make references being harassed by someone. I have never been harassed by anyone here except when I go to the bars (but that can be expected, and is usually some dip trying to come-on to me). I also don't take walks alone at night, since I cannot defend myself adequately. Common sense might help your situation if the circumstances I listed are the culprits behind your harassment.

Peacemaker452 2 years, 3 months ago

So this member of the productive portion of our society, a member of the unproductive portion of our society and a liberal politician walk into a bank. “How can I help you?” asks the teller. The first person says, “I would like to deposit this money, as it is the fruit of my labor and I will use it to provide for myself and my family.” The second person says, “I would like to deposit this money, as it was given to me by the politician and I will use it for whatever I want since it cost me nothing.” The politician says, “Take half of the first person’s deposit, give a quarter to the second person, and give the rest to me.” The teller says, “Hey, why are you stealing the productive guys money?” and the politician replies, “It is not stealing since a large group of the second person’s friends all voted to say it was OK.”

Kirk Larson 2 years, 3 months ago

By "productive" you probably mean a 1%er who inherited his wealth from his robber-baron daddy and by "unproductive" you probably mean a poor shlub who works 60 hours a week to feed his family on cr@p wages.

Peacemaker452 2 years, 3 months ago

You should probably quit guessing at what other people think because you suck at it.

Productive has nothing to do with income or total wealth, it has to do with a person's attitude and actions.

Unproductive is mainly an attituted also. It normally manifests itself in people who harbor deep envy for anyone who has more than them.

jafs 2 years, 3 months ago

So is the guy/gal who works at McDonald's for minimum wage "productive" in your view?

How about the CEO who runs the company into bankruptcy?

The mortgage lender who makes "liar loans" to people that can't pay them?

Banks that borrow money from the Fed at 1%, and then "invest" it in long-term government securities to make 3%?

Peacemaker452 2 years, 3 months ago

Your examples are way too general to provide a thoughtful reply, other than to say that banks are not members of society.