Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Magazine: Lawrence a top retirement spot

April 7, 2012

Lawrence is one of the better retirement destinations in the Midwest, according to the editors of a national magazine.

The editors of Where to Retire magazine have listed Lawrence as one of eight “Dynamic Heartland Havens.” Lawrence will be featured in the magazine’s May/June issue, which hits newsstands April 17.

Also on the list are: Branson, Mo.; Madison, Wis.; Woodstock, Ill.; Grand Rapids, Mich.; Bellevue, Neb.; Ames, Iowa; and Bloomington, Ind.

The ranking comes at the same time the city and county’s Retirement Attraction Task Force is seeking public comment about how the city can become attractive retirement destination. The task force will host a public forum from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. April 16 at City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts.

Comments

DillonBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

I love the picture, they look so happy!

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 8 months ago

Not sure if being a "top retirement spot" is a good thing. It seems like Lawrence would want to attract younger people, not older. We don't want to become known as the Florida of Kansas.

goodcountrypeople 2 years, 8 months ago

I see dollar signs in the eyes of the crooked people who run this town. Anyone who likes competence and integrity will be doing themselves a favor to stay away.

coloradoan 2 years, 8 months ago

So, how about a link to the article so we can read what they say? Thanks.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 8 months ago

Retirement spot? Lawrence?? Why? Shoot, if I could I'd go back to the frozen tundra.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 8 months ago

The local real estate industry has been submitting what they think to these magazines. This is what I determined after a bit of research.

Always dreaming up ways to further flood the residential market and our bedroom community. Increasing local taxes is the local real estate industry executives strong point.

These publications do not come to Lawrence and investigate. They don't go anywhere and actually investigate. If they did they would discover Lawrence is the most expensive residential,highest taxes and lowest wage city in Kansas.

pace 2 years, 8 months ago

Lawrence is a nice town with lots of different activities. I think a lot of retired people would enjoy living here. Except for this winter, winters can be bad. We have good transportation, a nice downtown, good places to eat. A lot of art, music and theater, nice geography. I like how diverse the population is now but adding a higher percentage of retired would be great. I would wish for more accessible housing being built or obtained through modification. An apartment or home built accessible means people can stay in their home longer, saves on money and stress. I think we have good medical options. Diverse populations drive jobs. When I say retired, I don't mean just the upper middle class, all kinds of people add richness to the community. I hope when they invest in community resources they won't limit themselves to serve just a narrow strata of income or background.