Archive for Thursday, April 5, 2012

Judge dismisses Yellow House lawsuit against KU police

April 5, 2012

A Douglas County judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by the former owner of the Yellow House Store against the Kansas University Police Department.

District Judge Paula Martin, according to her written ruling, found Carrie Neighbors filed the suit beyond the state’s statute of limitations because the alleged actions occurred more than the one year earlier.

The suit, which Neighbors filed in February without an attorney, alleges there was no jurisdiction for federal obstruction charges to be filed against her in connection with an investigation in 2008 into a laptop stolen from the KU campus, and she also accuses Michael Riner, a detective at the time, of falsely testifying in the case. KU had denied the claims in the suit.

Neighbors was convicted in a federal stolen goods case and is serving time in prison. A second suit that Neighbors filed around the same time against the city of Lawrence, the Lawrence Police Department and two officers, Mickey Rantz and Jay Bialek, is pending. District Judge Michael Malone has not scheduled any hearings in that case.

Comments

somebodynew 3 years, 4 months ago

Better hurry and get the popcorn ready, this could be a long one. I just can't wait for all the cut and paste from some people and how things will get twisted on this one.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 4 months ago

Someone's bound to claim the Douglas County Judge has joined the ranks of the corrupt officials in this soap opera.

LadyJ 3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks, I really needed a good chuckle today. Darn, won't be able to watch the fun till later today.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 4 months ago

There is nothing to laugh about. Have no dog in this hunt. From what I gathered these people may have made a couple of small mistakes. They have paid dearly mi amigos.

I wish the LJWorld or actually anybody could list bullet point style what the Neighbors actually have had their lives ruined for.

No comments, just list the actually facts with non-legaleeze language. Not rumored, not conjectured, just plain simple facts.

Then I firmly believe the community would understand why some believe this is a huge injustice.

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

There have been many many articles, in plain and simple language, about the charges against the Neighbors in the LJW. I don't recall any "legalize" that the general public wouldn't understand. If they don't, there are still paper dictionaries and electronic dictionaries.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 4 months ago

I've followed the story a bit, never remember any clear announcement of what they actually did. Not rumored, but the things the government ruined lives over.

Did they sell a stolen bike, hat, what? Or, was it conspired to do.......

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

Sammie's Curry in a Hurry open for lunch! Yum yum, kid!

jhawkinsf 3 years, 4 months ago

I was hopeful that once they painted that building, we would never have to hear the words "Yellow House" again.

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

How about stopping by the Red House http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_9KOGaLXdg

"'Cause if my baby don't love me no more I know her sister will"

JackMcKee 3 years, 4 months ago

Carrie Neighbors, worse crook or worst lawyer?

You decide.

She should have to repay the county for filing a frivalous lawsuit.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe she could hire those old lawyers that you hate so much. Get some wood paneling up in here!

JackMcKee 3 years, 4 months ago

Those guys are so old I'm not sure they know what day of the week it is.

JackMcKee 3 years, 4 months ago

Those guys are so old I'm not sure they know what day of the week it is.

begin60 3 years, 4 months ago

somebodynew 3 years, 4 months ago

Darn, I snoozed and missed smitty's rants. Oh well, I can probably remember the gist of them from having read them all numerous times before.